Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Dealing with some bad employees

The first thing you have to do is have a one on one talk time with them and try to understand why they behave unruly, then give them a chance for a change, if no change has occurred, then I'll advise you let him go so as not to influence other employees

Advertisement Placeholder
There is no doubt that some employees are really bad. They never do anything to support the growth of the business. Such employees are always seeking for the downfall of the organization. How to deal with such employees is firstly you give them warning and if they dont yield to warning that are no better options than to fire such employees

When I was operations manager of a software house my best friend applied for work even as a part time programmer. I hired him just to help. But since he knows that I was the boss he would come in very late then would proceed to the pantry, take his time with coffee and a smoke before he would go in front of the computer. When I computed the time lost, it is at least 1 hour per day. When I talked to him about the issue he got mad at me and said that I don't consider him as a friend. With that heated exchange of words I had to terminate him right there and then.

In cases like this, you do not have to tolorate for too long before sending such employees away from your company. If you still retain them in your workforce they might work to bring it down. As they do not carry the vision you carry, neither are they interested in the success of your company. And next time ensure there is serious screening before employing anyone to work with you.

It’s possible that your plan for improvement with a difficult employee will fail if you don’t set clear consequences if the behavior doesn’t change within the agreed upon timeframe. Consequences can include a formal written warning, not being eligible for promotions or bonuses and in more severe situations, termination of their employment. Employees likely won’t change their behavior unless continuing it will affect them negatively.

They say out of twelve there must always be a judah. For bad employee or those who go against rules of the organization there is always stipulated rules that after warnings, three quarries the next is a sack later. Employee can be had nuts sometimes but as a business owner with a functional human resource manager, you can be able to handle a bad employee perfectly.

Some employee needs some spanking on the but and even the worst complete sack from work at times.
This topic was informed by an incident that happened at my workplace sometime ago, my colleague at work i.e an employee to my boss was being so disrespectful to our boss, just because our boss was trying to correct him on some blunders he made at work. He flared up and started using cuss words on our boss, we as fellow colleagues tried to calm him down and shut him up but still he refused.
At the end of the day, our boss only gave him two days suspension 😲.
If you were my boss, what would you have done to him?
There are different kinds of employees, and they have their good and bad sides. There should be good rapport between an employer and employees. This does not mean overfamiliarity but a good relationship. That way there will be maximum respect.

Before getting to the stage of employing a bad employee,it starts from the stage of employing them by taking adequate measure either by bringing suretee or guarantee that will sign for them.but if the case of bad employee happens, first engage them by advicing them to change their ways and after then report them to the appropriate quarters to take action.

Some employee needs some spanking on the but and even the worst complete sack from work at times.
This topic was informed by an incident that happened at my workplace sometime ago, my colleague at work i.e an employee to my boss was being so disrespectful to our boss, just because our boss was trying to correct him on some blunders he made at work. He flared up and started using cuss words on our boss, we as fellow colleagues tried to calm him down and shut him up but still he refused.
At the end of the day, our boss only gave him two days suspension 😲.
If you were my boss, what would you have done to him?
I have been in a managerial position and I'll tell you it isn't easy handling staff. But this right here deserves an outright termination of employment. It will serve as a deterrent to other staff, so no one true to repeat that sort of insubodination.

Dealing with bad employees requires patience and wisdom, most people believe all bad employees should be sack, but at times one needs to know the reason why the person is doing, what he or she is doing before punishing them.

How are they bad? Late, insubordinate, too many bugs in their code or grammatical and spelling errors in their documents, always on the phone or the Internet when they should be working, disorganised, difficult to work with, don’t answer emails or late with their work?

• Late: I had a programmer who was always late but a good coder so I didn’t want to lose him. His bachelor’s party was coming up so I bought him a clock radio as a present. Problem solved.
  • Insubordinate: I’ve never had a problem with team members not respecting me. I guess that’s because I respect them.
  • Too many bugs: peer reviews. When the whole team says there is something wrong with your code, that’s a lot of pressure to improve it. I assign someone to work with them as a backup to whom they can show and explain their work before it gets reviewed. That reduces the number of bugs and also reminds them that they are not irreplaceable.

I would sack him immediately, no matter how good the job he does is , he is not irreplaceable thousands out there would beg to be in his position. If he is not sacked that incidence could happen again worse off someone else in the company could do something similar thinking it’s a normal thing

There is no way you would not have a bag egg among the people who work for you in your company. Once you have such a person behaving in an unserious manner, it is better to issue warning as quick as possible. While you are doing this, do have it in that such a person will change. He night for sometime but later return to his formal habit. If the person does not turn s new leaf as you want, do not hesitate to fire the person fast so he wouldn't affect other with the bad behavior.

Personally, I like to believe that I'm a good judge of character and I don't jump into conclusions without hearing both sides of a story.
It could be that the employee was having a bad day, which caused him to flare up in the manner he did because we can never tell what someone is going through even if we see the person smiling all day.
But that does not give him the right to cuss at his boss, though he deserves more than a suspension but I guess the boss is quite a nice person.

The word 'bad' can be used in different contexts, if an employee is not performing well in his current department, you can always move him to another to see if he would perform better, if there is an employee who is rude or lacks morals, such an employee should be trained by the HR and put on probation, if his problems persist, he has to be dismissed, good customer services are very important in any organization.

there are many ways of dealing with bad employees depending on how grief the employee is which may be interms of reduction in salary,giving penalties or probably sacking the employee if he/she causes retrogression in income

Well most times I believe is good to do some mental evaluation for your workers cause I don't expect me to try and correct my worker and he or she start hurling curses at me, as a worker it shows that he can't listen to advice and he is not ready to learn, if I were in the boss I won't want to have such person as a worker in my company, will have to sack him because next time he might hit me.

Discuss your concerns with the employee in a face-to-face meeting with the employee'ssupervisor or manager present. Provide theemployee with documentation about his behavior and actions manifested by a bad attitude. Explain the company's position onworkplace behavior and actions that warrant termination.

I think your boss should have sacked him, insubordination should not be tolerated in a work place especially in front of other employees what sort of message is your boss sending to others, that they can be disrespectful and get 2 days suspension? Not good enough.

It is very hard for bad employees who undermines you to go out on a limb for you. Make it easy for them to join you without confronting them about their disobedience and unruly characters. Invite them to give their opinions and ask for their help on things that are beyond your capability. This can change them totally

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds