Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Skills or educational qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the current business world, especially in Nigeria, salaries are payed based on educational qualification and level, I once work for a boss, we had a guy so good with graphics design, but he just finished secondary school, I was shocked when is pay is lower to some one else who has little skills compared to him, but with higher qualification.

As a business owner, which should you look at before you get people to work for you
Skills or Educational qualification?
I think for getting jobs , skills and qualifications should be hand in hand , in my country there is high merit of government jobs so you be well qualified first and with skills you can do more good and satisfied job ..

Advertisement Placeholder
As much as its very painful to learn of and say but yes in most cases qualifications do speak because quslificatioons at times can really surpass skills more especially on technicality.But in rare cases skill will win more especially in entertainment industry

Both are similar depending on the way you looked at it.If you are only skilled and does not have the overall indept knowledge of the job,then you might have some limitation.
But the country also determine what emphasis they place to drive their sector.Some wants highly skilled personel while they bring in their design,which is the theoritical knowledge from outside.

Skills all the yay!. It is more important than just having a certificate. Thou your certificate will let you in the door but your skill will keep you on the job. Getting the two won't be a bad idea either.

Qualifications matters alot but skills is the most important assets. If you have higher qualifications and you are not skillful, my brother if you are not connected there is no way you will get job oooo so go for skills then use your skills to get qualifications.

Over the years have seen some persons with no education qualification doing what somebody with a degree is doing. Does that mean education is a waste of time and the degree is useless. NO. Education is beyond the scope you focused on in the university. Education is an enlightenment. I pay you more for being enlightened as an employer

Both are really important when considering an employee, education gives you the medium to express yourself fluently and confidently, an illiterate can't speak good English which is a compulsory requirement for most recruiting firms, so no matter how skilled he is, that will be his only shortcoming. Likewise it's good to learn a skill too, the world today revolves around your skill, learn a skill today, anything at all

In the current business world, especially in Nigeria, salaries are payed based on educational qualification and level, I once work for a boss, we had a guy so good with graphics design, but he just finished secondary school, I was shocked when is pay is lower to some one else who has little skills compared to him, but with higher qualification.

As a business owner, which should you look at before you get people to work for you
To me both of them work hand in hand together for the success and progress of an economy development,you have to be well learned in the educational sector as well as acquire necessary skills to succeed.
In case,one fails you can easily switch to the other one.

I prefer skills to educational qualification though educational qualification gives the chance for better recognition and employment.skill comes with talent, a person with a natural born talent tends to do better than the educational qualified person.

A degree can only earn a job, but without the skill, it can not help to develop further. - It is the talent that attracts employers, customers and management that lifts or drops the person. Without the skill, the person would not be able to attract the attention of their superiors and achieve success.

As a business owner I will pick skills over any educational qualification. Once a person has shown that he knows his onion in any particular aspect of my business and he has track record of successes with the skills, he will be employed.

Skills and educational qualifications are both special and unique in their own ways, it is great if one could pursue and acquire both, there are a lot of graduates seeking for jobs on a daily basis, but it would be difficult for one with skills not to have anything doing.

I worked too hard to know that skills are underappreciated in this part of the world. As a skilled person, I value skill far above any educational qualification but the skilled one should at least go to school to be able to express himself but my value on employment is still going to be what you can offer or skill.

Concerning your question on whether I would look to enploy someone with higher skills or higher qualification levels, I would say, I personally would prefer skills, The USA recently has been focusing on them as well instead of educational degress, and they are right, having a degree in something doesn't really mean you are perfect on it. And skills are very important in business

Skills or Educational qualification
This question varies, in my own country it is all about your skill, education won't take you anywhere. Majority spendots of money in school , going through the stress and will still graduate and smart afresh by leaning a particular skill. I am not saying education is not good , intact its very important, but it is adviceable to have a skill first

I think both are really important but if I was to choose, i would choose skills because in my country,There are too much graduates now who are unemployed, been educated alone is not actually working out now Education,skill and creativity is what is the perfect combination for a successful life right now. These days having a degree in something doesn't actually mean you are good at that thing.

Both skill and education are good for one to have because having both will easily assist one to attain success easily, but having only education or only skill may still work fine but will not be faster as having both.

For me, I think both. In our current economic dispensation, there is no job as such, most people are relying on business and skills for survival, having the educational qualification is very good however, getting a skill is equally very important. When you are educated, you execute your skill brilliantly.

Funny enough skills put food one your table these days more than education but both is needed. It's better you spend your time on skills alone if you can't afford education then to go solo on education alone. The world is changing, change with it.

Educational qualification is just an added bonus if you already have a skill which you've mastered, because degrees obtained from school can't guarantee one a job especially in countries with limited job opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds