Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is coming in late for work a ground for suspension?

Is coming late to work and be a ground for suspension if one always comes late to work ad boss can give him suspension because punctuality is the soul of every business
Yes,suspension should be a disciplinary measure against any lackadaisical staff. If he continues with the act,it's better to fire him as a warning to others and to save your business from shutting down.

Advertisement Placeholder
Coming in late for work is a ground for suspension. However, I believe before the suspension, the worker might have been warned to stop doing that so as to be productive to the work

Late coming to work is very bad for any business and I don't think serious businesses can condone such because it is at the detriment of their success.

Coming late to work is one of the most unavoidable offence that an employee or staff can commit that can lead to suspension, coming to work late every time do a period of time even after warning may lead to suspension.
The employee is hired because there is a job to do. When he comes in late for work the flow of work is affected especially if the job is critical to the operation. Some offices issue a suspension for a number of days when the tardiness is too often like 3 times a week and every week. Do you think it is fair to the employee or is the boss too harsh on the suspension? Too many times tardy can also be a reason for termination of the employee which happened to our office before.

I think it's unfair for an employee to be suspended on the grounds of late coming, at least there should have been fore warning, and it should have been stated in the terms of employment.

any worker who comes late to work is definitely not serious and if I am a business owner I will definitely not tolerate such employee.
It's good that we do not tolerate such a worker if you are an employer of Labour but at the same time you should be you mean by giving such a worker some time for him or her to adjust his or her character and if he or she does not change then you can sack him.

I think it's unfair for an employee to be suspended on the grounds of late coming, at least there should have been fore warning, and it should have been stated in the terms of employment.
But if what they are being warned but they keep on maintaining a continuous lateness ,I think in this case it is better for the person to be suspended because they are not taking their responsibility serious.

I think it is acceptable knowing that an employee is being constantly late, and sometimes it could lead to termination if it becomes worse. However, if it only twice a month might be okay.
You have a great point, its normal for the boss to understand the main reason why his or her employee normally comes late before he can talk any steps concerning the employee.

What if they are part-time student and
they're trying to cover up two things at a time maybe because they don't have someone to sponsor them in the higher institution Will you still sack someone is such a situation ?
As a part-time student, you should be able to plan your studies schedule in such a way that it will not affect the job you are being paid to do. If you cannot cope with the job, the best is to resign.

But if what they are being warned but they keep on maintaining a continuous lateness ,I think in this case it is better for the person to be suspended because they are not taking their responsibility serious.
It's all comes down to personal decisions, if you feel that the best thing is suspension then I wouldn't dispute the fact but I do feel that sanctions should only be carried out if the person has been warned and didn't yield.

Depends on how frequently the person has been queried. Of course, latecoming isn't an act that should be condoned or pampered. It's a habit that should be broken at the beginning else there'd be complications later

As a part-time student, you should be able to plan your studies schedule in such a way that it will not affect the job you are being paid to do. If you cannot cope with the job, the best is to resign.
Sometimes their studying schedule cannot be organised in that way because it is controlled by the school management , if it doesn't affect their work seriously you should be a little bit considerate.
[automerge]1628147115[/automerge]
It's all comes down to personal decisions, if you feel that the best thing is suspension then I wouldn't dispute the fact but I do feel that sanctions should only be carried out if the person has been warned and didn't yield.
Okay without giving the person sanction,what other punishment do you think will be suitable for people who maintain a continuous lateness, some companies always resort to reduction of salaries at this situation.

Last edited:
Some businesses and companies don't take coming to work really lightly. For some it's kind of a way of building the discipline of their staffs. Being prompt Is essential.
What's time is coming late for work is not really a brown indespension but when it is obvious then I think the owner of the business all the supervisors or need to do something about it by giving you a suspension.

Sometimes their studying schedule cannot be organised in that way because it is controlled by the school management , if it doesn't affect their work seriously you should be a little bit considerate.
[automerge]1628147115[/automerge]

Okay without giving the person sanction,what other punishment do you think will be suitable for people who maintain a continuous lateness, some companies always resort to reduction of salaries at this situation.
Whichever ever way you look at it, you cannot use your own comfort to discomfort another person's business. If your studies affects the profits of the company that you work for, you will have to choose between your studies or your job.

Whichever ever way you look at it, you cannot use your own comfort to discomfort another person's business. If your studies affects the profits of the company that you work for, you will have to choose between your studies or your job.
Lolz, although is true but if the person is trying to sponsor themself you may not be so heartless to kick the person out for the person to be a School dropout, that is why I said it depends on circumstances.

Depends on how frequently the person has been queried. Of course, latecoming isn't an act that should be condoned or pampered. It's a habit that should be broken at the beginning else there'd be complications later
An employee who comes in late twice every week is a habitual tardy person that needed to be sanctioned. The problem with that kind of bad habit is that it can be imitated by other employees for the reason that he is not suspended or terminated so the others can do that freely.

The company has every authority to suspend someone who is always late for work. Especially when they are not giving a good reason or if they come in late due to drug abuse. Such people may really drag the company behind and so it is best to let them go.
That is really right. It's the company who has the sole authority to suspend someone
An employee who comes in late twice every week is a habitual tardy person that needed to be sanctioned. The problem with that kind of bad habit is that it can be imitated by other employees for the reason that he is not suspended or terminated so the others can do that freely.
Absolutely true that an employee who comes in late not only twice but more than that in every week should be sanctioned.

That is for other employees not to imitate the bad example of a tardy employee.

Most people who are coming late for work are people that are not serious about their responsibilities, but in all the same a business manager should just consider them and listen to their reason.

Every business has it own rules and regulations. If it is the policy of the business to suspend someone that comes late to work, you will have to deal with it and learn to avoid it in future.

Late coming to work is very bad for any business and I don't think serious businesses can condone such because it is at the detriment of their success.
For me coming late to work is actually a very bad habit that all workers should endeavour to avoid it as it will actually bring a business down in no time because a business needs consistency dedication focus and all forms of seriousness for the business to become to successful.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds