Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is coming in late for work a ground for suspension?

Coming late to work is more than enough reason to suspend an employee. I believe each company has its rules by which they abide by. There are cases whereby it is after you repeatedly come late for a specific number, that is when you would be suspended.

Advertisement Placeholder
Coming in late for work is grounds for suspension. But only when the lateness has become past the warnings given to the affected staff and it keeps on repeating itself

Seriously, it's a very clear slap in the face of the organization rules and regulations because the staff took it upon themselves to breach the rules and there is always a consequences for what they did.

Coming late to work is more than enough reason to suspend an employee. I believe each company has its rules by which they abide by. There are cases whereby it is after you repeatedly come late for a specific number, that is when you would be suspended.

I do not think that an employee should be fired outright for coming late. There might be many reasons for why your employee might be coming late and you should discuss this problem with your employee in a really friendly way. We are all human beings and we should be lenient and co-operative towards others.

I do not think that an employee should be fired outright for coming late. There might be many reasons for why your employee might be coming late and you should discuss this problem with your employee in a really friendly way. We are all human beings and we should be lenient and co-operative towards others.
Note that i never said fired or dropped from work. Now when applying for the job you are quit aware of the time you need to be there, so you still applying means you agree to these. Now if there is a reason why you always come late its left for you to sort it out. Most companies have a policy that if an employee comes late to work repeatedly. No matter the reason for coming late, it has affected production for that day. It does not make sense to fire someone for coming late once or even suspending them. But when it is more than once, its a different story

Coming late for work once a month or if you have immediate emergency is okay but if you have this attitude every day it will affect your work flow and eventually come to suspension.

Coming late for work once a month or if you have immediate emergency is okay but if you have this attitude every day it will affect your work flow and eventually come to suspension.
well said and its always against you if you are not on time as you were accepted before joining the work. it's about etiquette and mandatory for working hours.

The employee is hired because there is a job to do. When he comes in late for work the flow of work is affected especially if the job is critical to the operation. Some offices issue a suspension for a number of days when the tardiness is too often like 3 times a week and every week. Do you think it is fair to the employee or is the boss too harsh on the suspension? Too many times tardy can also be a reason for termination of the employee which happened to our office before.
Yes , one of the punishment of getting late to work is suspension , getting Kate to work is an offence unless you are coming from a very far place and your boss has given you a special privilege , if you com late twice , you will be given a query.

Every working need to be coming to work on time a the time. It attract suspension if you fail to co e on time. You need to make a good explanation to the manager if you have a good explanation on what's. Makes you late

If an employee is consistently late, it's not the fault of the company for giving the person a suspension.

The same way some employees are awarded for punctuality, tardiness should be punished.
Punctuality receives the soul of every business coming late to work can be a ground for suspension of worker but first of all you have to run and give query before suspension.

This depends on so many factors, like for instance, what is the past record of that staff and his attitude towards work, and also the reason behind his lateness if it's cogent enough. This are some of the factors to consider.

One of hr bad habits which I hate the most is late coming and doing so on a regular basis. It would not be harsh to make it a basis for suspension.

Coming late once per month might be acceptable but if you are coming in late every couple of days of course the employer won't accept that from you
Coming in late for work can be a ground for suspension of an employee when the employee has made it and habit to be doing this for a very long time but if the employee just started doing it for some time you can keep on giving them some query instead of an outright suspension.

Giving your employee suspension in your company because of late depends how often it has been coming late, but if the employee is consistently late you can suspend he/her.

Note that i never said fired or dropped from work. Now when applying for the job you are quit aware of the time you need to be there, so you still applying means you agree to these. Now if there is a reason why you always come late its left for you to sort it out. Most companies have a policy that if an employee comes late to work repeatedly. No matter the reason for coming late, it has affected production for that day. It does not make sense to fire someone for coming late once or even suspending them. But when it is more than once, its a different story

Yes, I believe that an employer must discuss this problem separately with his or her employee. There might be a reason why an employee might be coming late repeatedly. It is always good to talk and get the issue resolved. Emergency is the most common reason for coming late but emergencies do not happen every day. It might be possible that a person might have a habit of coming late and this is something the employer must address.

Well, when you say coming late it depends on how frequent is the coming late. If the late coming is something that you have been warning and you don't see any other reason to overlook it then you can do that e.g i comes late atimes to my working place and my boss complains but one day he looked at me and said d reason I overlook your late coming is because, when it comes to your job you always deliver.
Things like that can help drop such thought

Yes, I believe that an employer must discuss this problem separately with his or her employee. There might be a reason why an employee might be coming late repeatedly. It is always good to talk and get the issue resolved. Emergency is the most common reason for coming late but emergencies do not happen every day. It might be possible that a person might have a habit of coming late and this is something the employer must address.
Yes i totally agree with this every reasonable boss would totally want to find out the reasons to the repeated late comings. There could be legit reasons especially when its from someone that hardly comes in late before. But like you said emergencies cant be happening daily

For every establishment, they are regulated by the rules establishing them, and prescribes the kind of punishment for whatever offence. As for lateness to work, if it's too frequent, the management can suspend the employee.

True but I believe that at times one needs to ask the person what could have caused the coming late to work . At times one can be given a second to see if there will be change.
That was the reason why I said will be suspended without any tangible reasons for coming late to work. Besides, every work place has her own way of disciplining her staff regardless of the position they holds.

I don't think that coming late to work should attract penalty at least for the first few times, but if it becomes consistent then the management should find out why, and if it still continues then sanctions should follow.

Coming late to work should not not be a ground for suspension but if you’ve become a perpetual late comer then it can lead to a suspension

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds