Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is coming in late for work a ground for suspension?

There is this saying that punctuality is the soul of business.Having an employee coming late to work is not good for a business,but if the person is not a perpetual late comer it will be better to give a warning to avoid repetition.

Advertisement Placeholder
The employee is hired because there is a job to do. When he comes in late for work the flow of work is affected especially if the job is critical to the operation. Some offices issue a suspension for a number of days when the tardiness is too often like 3 times a week and every week. Do you think it is fair to the employee or is the boss too harsh on the suspension? Too many times tardy can also be a reason for termination of the employee which happened to our office before.
If it is something that rarely happens, then it can be overlooked. But if it happens frequently then something has to be done about it. It can affect the working activities of the business if such attitude is neglected.

Coming late to work actually attract punishment, although it might not be suspension, but there are some other mean of punishment that cna actually change employees act of coming late, there can be fine or deduction in salaries

if a staff make it his habit to always come to work late hour, maybe he must have been queried several times to sit up and be serious over the job, if he refuses the listen I think that's a good reason to suspend Him for some time and see weather he will change.

The employee is hired because there is a job to do. When he comes in late for work the flow of work is affected especially if the job is critical to the operation. Some offices issue a suspension for a number of days when the tardiness is too often like 3 times a week and every week. Do you think it is fair to the employee or is the boss too harsh on the suspension? Too many times tardy can also be a reason for termination of the employee which happened to our office before.
Yes it is a big problem and the boss of that company must take action against such type of employes,whodon't care about the rules and regulations of company. They should be warned 2-3 times and after that they should be kicked out of company to maintain the dignity of the company.

They said where there are no law there are no punishment, there should be a reward for everything you do either being good or bad.there should be punishment for every of your actions,if you are giving suspension for coming is not too much it will make you to adjust for doing the right thing at the right time.

In my opinion it is no
I don't think it is too harsh, time they say is money and we are in difficult times, sometimes employers need to take drastic actions in order for staff to sit up and take their jobs more seriously. This will serve as a deterrent to other staff as well

Sometimes your worker can be late, there can be a lot of reasons such as, traffic, some personal issues, etc. However, if the workers start becoming late more often, you should see red flags and act immediately.

From my point of view, it depends on the situation,normally one of the characteristics of a good employee is to be always punctual to workplace at all times,but if the employee falters such attributes often, then a suspension will be needed.

It depends on the reason why that person was late and I don't think it's a ground for suspension. Emergencies may come up that will need our attention. It's okay to suspend a staff that always comes late to work with no valid reason or flimsy excuses that are obviously untrue.

Well I think this case is based on the owner of the business, its not because of tiredness that caused the termination in the first place but i think probably the owner of the business or head of office as a bad side characteristics because anybody can be tired now...

Well it depends if it a one time occurrence or it always happening frequently, if for instance you employee is married with kids such person should be given some leverages I know it not part of working etiquette but for humanity sake. While in cases where an employee decides to come late for work frequently without any tangible reasons such person should not only be given a suspension but total dismissal.

You can be late sometimes and that's perfectly ok, your employer should see it naturally. If you are regularly late, it will show your insincerity and your employer has every rights to become suspicious of you.

Every businesses have their rules and regulations guiding it. Before a staff could be sacked or suspended based on late coming, he must have been warned at some points in time or he must be aware of the laid down rules of the business in relations to suspension.

If it's a one time thing, no, but if it's repeated and warnings have been issued, and still nothing changes, then yes, a suspension would be a good option. If that doesn't work, firing would be the next step imo.

If it's a one time thing, no, but if it's repeated and warnings have been issued, and still nothing changes, then yes, a suspension would be a good option. If that doesn't work, firing would be the next step imo.
You talked well dear. Late coming is something a business enterprise doesn't tolerate easily, infact no workplace tolerates that. The offender that repeatedly indulge in late coming, might get axed completely from work.

I would never tolerate someone coming in to their job late, as a supervisor. I believe that if the person willingly ignores their posted schedule to the point of making it a habit of always coming in late, even if they negotiate a later time, then it shows that they don't care enough about the job, to even do the basics of following work instructions.

I am a very punctual person and more likely to be early than late for anything as it stresses me out to be late. If you are paid to do a job and don't turn up on time on a regular basis I think it is acceptable for a boss to suspend you although there should be warnings first. If there is a good reason for being late then you should make a phone call to let your boss know why.

Well, in reply to your question in the above post concerning if coming late to work means you should get suspended, in my opinion though, the worker should be given more time to prove himself right and show that he's not lazy

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds