Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you resign if your salary was slashed 50%?

If the reason behind the pay cut is justifiable, I would not resign because I have to be considerate, but if I can't see any genuine reason to cut my salary by 50%,I would have to leave for a better place

Advertisement Placeholder
I would consider all my options if I'm faced with such situation. I will advise your friend to resign and focus all his energy into getting a new job. The cost of pursuing a legal action against his boss or company may be huge, he may even end up spending all his savings on the case.

Well it depends on your salary in the first place. If your salary is very huge,then I see no reason why you should resign. Even ,if it's not huge. Please resign only if you have another job or means to provide for your basic needs. It's very difficult to get jobs this days. So stick around until something better comes around.
True, the person's salary goes a long way in determining where it's best to resign or not. But we all know that most jobs these days never pays good salaries as they are only interested in using their staff to the point of killing them without paying them what they are due for.

If the company is having a downturn in terms of revenue i think all employees will be okay on taking a pay cut rather than laying off their staff. Both sides can come to a compromise for a beneficial resolution.
[automerge]1611822259[/automerge]
If the company is having a downturn in terms of revenue i think all employees will be okay on taking a pay cut rather than laying off their staff. Both sides can come to a compromise for a beneficial resolution.

[automerge]1611822259[/automerge]
If such should be the case, then I believe that the company should call for staff meeting and inform all of the staff of the new situations that the company is facing and suggest a way forward. If they agree with the pay cut, they stay and work, if not the staff can walk.

Fifty percent decrease in salary is too much and it will be very sad for me. Now l will be needing explaination to the reason why the salary was down to such level and if my boss is able to explain things to my understanding, l will not resign.

It depends, if it Just slashed for no just cause I will raise alarm, but if it was slashed for a justified cause then I may agree but before they even Slash it, it must be a mutual agreement and there will be a set time where things will go back to normal and if there will any additional incentive.

If you have a responsible Government and labour organization, you can always make reports as far as you have not flouted any of the job rules or committed a grave offence at work. You can as well organize to meet your boss and explain the injustice. If the job is favorable, you do not have to leave except you have gotten another in a company that has sanity.

If your salary was slashed 50% without any due process or justification, would you resign and take legal action against your employer?

A friend of mine is currently in this situation and he needs advice on what to do.
It depends on the terms of contract that you have with your employer and whether they are allowed to do that or not. And also it depends whether this is a permanent decision or whether it is just temporary to try and get to the pandemic and effect that it had on the business. If it is a temporary thing I think that you can be understanding because there might be a bonus that is coming in the future. However if it is a permanent thing and it is not in terms of your contract then you can definitely take legal action and you should retire because then they are taking advantage of the skills that you have and not paying you accordingly.

even though money is one of the motivating factor as you do your job,i would'nt resign my appointment,because if the remaining 50% can take care of my welfare,then an overall benefit could be in the experience and the skills you gain while on the job.These value can't be quantify.

If the job comes with letter of appointment and everything is stated on the letter of appointment to defend myself then I will resign and take legal action. But if the employee who is your friend finest have any letter of appointment that means he doesn't have any means to defend his or her self in the court of law
If my salary was slashed, I will not resign simply because it might be to test my reaction or due to unforeseen circumstances, I will like to meet the Financial Department to know if there mistake, before meeting the CEO of the organization.

It depends on the terms of contract that you have with your employer and whether they are allowed to do that or not. And also it depends whether this is a permanent decision or whether it is just temporary to try and get to the pandemic and effect that it had on the business. If it is a temporary thing I think that you can be understanding because there might be a bonus that is coming in the future. However if it is a permanent thing and it is not in terms of your contract then you can definitely take legal action and you should retire because then they are taking advantage of the skills that you have and not paying you accordingly.
Even if it's a temporary decision, which was never inked in the contract, it must be discussed with the staff before it's initiated and not out of the blue. If it's also a permanent decision, it must be discussed as well, otherwise it's a breach of work agreement.

If my salary was slashed by 50% I would probably resign. But not without having another source of income to fall back on. I don't want to resign and be jobless because I still need money to survive. If I had another source of income I would tender my resignation and move on.

If my salary is slashed into two without any justification. I'd have to leave such job and look for another, it doesn't matter what the amount is, 50 percent is a whole lot to be removed from one's income

It depends. If my boss will explain it to me why my salary suddenly slashed in a half, maybe i should consider it(for a meantime) because life today is very hard, we must get paid on what we've worked for.

Would you resign if your salary was slashed 50%?​

Before such thing is done their must have been a valid reason behind it like the company going through a bad face of resection and in other to keep the company up and running such is put into consideration , when such happens ask your self if the scarifies is Worth it is it certain that the company would fine it way up again .

There are many things to consider before resigning. Do I have a better alternative? If no, then I will take put in the job and plan my next step. A 50% slash wouldn't just happen out of the blue, there must have been a notice before it happened.

It depends on situation on ground. Before my salary will be cut by 50% . The management of the company would have given me a notice letter informing me about the cut a reason for there action. If the reasons is OK my me I will wait but searching for another job while still with them. But if they did not serve me a notice letter , I will sue them to court

Even if it's a temporary decision, which was never inked in the contract, it must be discussed with the staff before it's initiated and not out of the blue. If it's also a permanent decision, it must be discussed as well, otherwise it's a breach of work agreement.
Definitely! There has to be communication from the employer before anything of this nature happens or else it is a major breach of the contract and will definitely warrant legal action. I was assumign that this was already communicated first and tehn the cut happen. But if there is no communication then there is certainly something that is not right in the operation of the business and the employer is not showing open communication and respect to his employees.

Definitely! There has to be communication from the employer before anything of this nature happens or else it is a major breach of the contract and will definitely warrant legal action. I was assumign that this was already communicated first and tehn the cut happen. But if there is no communication then there is certainly something that is not right in the operation of the business and the employer is not showing open communication and respect to his employees.
Exactly, and according to my friend whom this happened to there was no form of communication whatsoever about this and it was done. It's so disappointing and disgusting some employers can be with the way they treat their staff, I person can't work in such place.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds