Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Family issues and problems in business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always tell people that your business relationship with you family and friends must be well defined.... Boundaries must be openly and meticulously set.... I know of a family that always pay for whatever they purchase from each other as the capital to start the business was given to them by their father hence they have to maintain it well.... Family is on one side and business is clearly on another.

Advertisement Placeholder
As a business owner, you need to set out boundaries when it comes to business with your relatives. You need to let them understand the business is your means of livelihood and you can't afford to make it collapse due to debt, hence, they will know where to adjust.

I’ve seen situations like this countless time when one won’t pay for services rendered due to the fact that the owner of the place is a family to him be it brother sister uncle wife husband or whatever. It is clearly wrong, family and business should be separated hence someone falling out of business is not far fetch

Yeah its right . Business should be separate from family.I see this situation at many places many times but its wrong .If we buy a thing from a shop then made payment for this product So why we don't made payment on buying the same product from our friend/relative's shop.

Most times I have witnessed people take goods or receive services but won't pay, all in the name of 'the owner is my brother/sister' so I don't need to pay. This happen between husbands and wives too. But is this really appropriate? This is someone's means of livelihood, so I feel that unless the person willingly gives it, it is cruel and unfair to forcefully take things without paying, whether you're family or not. Remember, no family in business
What is your opinion on this?
I have seen too many businesses failing because of this issue with giving too much to family business without payment. As you just said, in business, family interference matters less and we have to always be strict on issues like such before we can grow in terms of business.

Most times I have witnessed people take goods or receive services but won't pay, all in the name of 'the owner is my brother/sister' so I don't need to pay. This happen between husbands and wives too. But is this really appropriate? This is someone's means of livelihood, so I feel that unless the person willingly gives it, it is cruel and unfair to forcefully take things without paying, whether you're family or not. Remember, no family in business
I totally agree with you. Few people have these kind of issues and they don't understand that they have their relationships with the owner whether they're siblings or spouse but the employees have to answer the owner. These things happens mostly on departmental stores. To avoid this kind of issues the owner has to be strict towards his or her relatives and tell them that they should not mix their relations within their business because it will result in a big loss for the owner.

I am 100% agree that in business no relation. Even yo are running a small clothing shop and one of your family member need something. He or she should pay to buy it. It is the first rule of business. Otherwise o get success in business is not possible.

I totally agree with you. Few people have these kind of issues and they don't understand that they have their relationships with the owner whether they're siblings or spouse but the employees have to answer the owner. These things happens mostly on departmental stores. To avoid this kind of issues the owner has to be strict towards his or her relatives and tell them that they should not mix their relations within their business because it will result in a big loss for the owner.
You are very correct, but most times the store owner wouldn't be able to express himself simply because he doesn't want to be on bad terms with his family, especially if they are older.
But I recently advised one that he has to speak up and tell them that they need to pay. Family is family and business is business, the two shouldn't interfere with one another.

More reason why it's not always advisable to partner families in business. Disputes within the workplace may carry over to your personal life, creating serious rifts between relations if the disagreements are momentous enough.

I always tell my friends that once business is concerned, there is no familiarity no matter how close we are. Once the business is done, then we can resume our normal way of life. This is because if you are not careful, they will run your business down.

Actually, when it comes to business, it is always better to set up a pay stack. So that all means of payment will be done through debit card or any wallet. And it will always be payment before taking any goods or offering services.

More reason why it's not always advisable to partner families in business. Disputes within the workplace may carry over to your personal life, creating serious rifts between relations if the disagreements are momentous enough.

Some people not all are most times leaches all in the name of friends. They will never add any good value to your life or business but will always be expecting you to keep on doing them one favor or another. Even when you try to do business with them, they most times end up trying to cheat on you.

Some people not all are most times leaches all in the name of friends. They will never add any good value to your life or business but will always be expecting you to keep on doing them one favor or another. Even when you try to do business with them, they most times end up trying to cheat on you.
You are absolutely right. These type of people are heartless, they don't even care if you run into debt or financial setback because of their selfish interests. A line should be drawn when dealing with those ones.

If a person refuse to pay For any product and services rendered to him by any of his family members and decided not to pay on the disguise that the owner of the business his or her family member means the person is a business wrecker. A lot of this kind of attitude have destroyed a whole lots of business and it shouldn't be tolerated at all.

You dont join family with business. Family is different from business is also different. When you join family with business it will turn out to problems. Business is business while family is family oo. If the family is involved in the business, the business might not grow.

Family and friends should be dissociated from buisness or job, your family should help you improve your business,if families you be buying on credit every time because you don't want to offend them then automatically your business will collapse and no family will be there for you.

Understanding these often-subtle nuances of family business dynamics is vital so that when families inevitably face them, they can have measures and strategies in place to overcome them proactively and avoid conflict. The more interconnected a family is, and especially within a family business where assets are shared

Understanding these often-subtle nuances of family business dynamics is vital so that when families inevitably face them, they can have measures and strategies in place to overcome them proactively and avoid conflict. The more interconnected a family is, and especially within a family business where assets are shared
I understand where you are coming from but there are times when trying to settle things amicably won't work out. We all have some members of our family, either immediate or extended, that are just so insensitive and wicked that logical reasoning won't make them understand. Frontal confrontation, Making it absolutely clear to stop preying on the business might be a better idea.

I definitely do not agree with this. I think that family and business should be kept separate and as such they should be liable to pay for stuff because like you said this is their livelihood. In fact I would think that if a person that you know owns a business you should actually want to support them and help them in developing their business rather than trying to get stuff for free from them. That is how a real friend should be acting in these circumstances.

challenges for the family business
  • Emotions. Family problems will affect the business.
  • Informality. Absence of clear policies and business norms for family members.
  • Tunnel vision.
  • Lack of written strategy.
  • Compensation problems for family members.
  • Role confusion.
  • Lack of talent.
  • High turnover of non-family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds