Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Family issues and problems in business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family affair and issue should never be missed with business. Even though the family members are both involved in the same business.

To achieve the objectives of the business and prevent losses, boundaries should be set. Rules and regulations should be set in place too. Everyone including all the members of the family must abide by the laid down rules. Who ever violate should be punished.
[automerge]1609788559[/automerge]
Family affair and issue should never be missed with business. Even though the family members are both involved in the same business.

To achieve the objectives of the business and prevent losses, boundaries should be set. Rules and regulations should be set in place too. Everyone including all the members of the family must abide by the laid down rules. Who ever violate should be punished.

Advertisement Placeholder
If the owner of the business or shop or anything involved does not give out willingly, family or not. It's wrong to go ahead to take things out of a business without paying.
If a family member really loves you he/she will not even be willing to do such as they'll want you to prosper.

Most times I have witnessed people take goods or receive services but won't pay, all in the name of 'the owner is my brother/sister' so I don't need to pay. This happen between husbands and wives too. But is this really appropriate? This is someone's means of livelihood, so I feel that unless the person willingly gives it, it is cruel and unfair to forcefully take things without paying, whether you're family or not. Remember, no family in business
What is your opinion on this?
I don't think this is right for all family members, although this problem persists among illetrates members of the family, if their motives towards the business is to make the business grow, then they wouldn't forcefully take anything without the owner's permission
Most times I have witnessed people take goods or receive services but won't pay, all in the name of 'the owner is my brother/sister' so I don't need to pay. This happen between husbands and wives too. But is this really appropriate? This is someone's means of livelihood, so I feel that unless the person willingly gives it, it is cruel and unfair to forcefully take things without paying, whether you're family or not. Remember, no family in business
People must always get things right. Dont bring in family sentiments into your business. Separate family issues, and relationship issues from your business else you'll hit the rock. Some family members can be a huge distraction in your business.

It's ok as long as they take q-2 products once in a while but if they keep shopping at your store every couple of days and don't pay then it's definitely needed to take some action against them. Yeah it's your family but this is just like they would come to your house and take money from your wallet in front of you so it's unacceptable

If you want to run a business better, you have to look at its statistics. If our acquaintances take things home without paying, our business system will deteriorate. We need to keep this thing separate from the business. Everything we need at home should be written down and taken care of regularly.

I would say when it comes to business, There should be nothing like family in business and the only way to avoid this bad habit of family problems in ones business is to put someone in charge of the business. If there is someone managing the business. family problems will be reduced.

Of course our buisniss will affected if u gives free of cost to your family members except wife and children's.Because they have rights.but siblings relation should gives payment .it's my personal experience when my husband allows to give his product free to their siblings one day he lost everything and those who were get advantages from him were gett aside.Buisniss is buisniss and there is no relation in business because we have to survive from ourselves.brother sister cousin should pay .

That is really simple to handle because as a business personality you must have a rules and regulation that governs your business and one of the rules and regulation is that no matter how related a family member is he or she must come and buy the products or services with money, in fact they are some organisation setting that a person cannot even come and request for free product or services because everything is written down and everything is well digitalize that's how to handle it.

However, the problems of family businesses go considerably deeper than these issues. The following are the problems.
  1. Family problems. Physical, emotional and financial problems among family members can greatly impact the day-to-day operation of the business.
  2. Informal culture and structure. For many businesses, having a laid-back culture is a positive. However, the informal structure and culture found in many family businesses can equate to a lack of documentation, policies, and defined strategy and goals.
  3. Pressure to hire family members. It can be difficult to resist the pressure that comes along with requests from family members who want to join the business. This becomes especially complicated if they lack the basic skills and experience needed for the position.
  4. Lack of training. The informal culture found in many family businesses can result in a lax approach to training new employees, whether they are family members or not.
  5. High turnover of non-family employees.Non-family employees may feel that greater opportunities exist within the business for those who are a part of the family and may grow tired of the culture.
  6. Sources for growth. A huge challenge for family businesses can be determining where and how to get the capital and resources needed to grow the business.
  7. Lack of an external view. While family members may not always have the same opinions, they often have similar upbringing and life experiences which may lead to a uniform view of the business. Businesses need to have external views of their company and their competition in order to thrive.
  8. Misunderstanding the value of the business and how it is to be divided. Owners of family businesses may have varying opinions on the value of their business, or even worse, they may have no knowledge about the value of the business and what things contribute to or detract from that value. Further complicating this matter is determining how to split the profits of the business or owners’ stakes.
  9. Who will take over the business? It is important for family businesses to plan ahead for business succession. Many family-owned businesses do not have a plan in place and this can be a source of heated debate and intense family politics when the time arises to select new leadership.
  10. No exit plan. Family businesses often lack a defined strategy for what will happen if an owner wants to retire, sell the business, or transfer responsibility. This goes hand in hand with succession plan issues. All businesses need a plan for the future.
All these stated here are essential going down into business. The issue of family is something that can be avoided not to happen and the best way to handle it is to enlighten the family itself what business really entails.

I have seen something like this, but to be honest when it comes to my mom shop I can take anything without paying and she doesn't complain, in fact I do this on a daily basis and she has never complaind. I don't know if it's because I sometimes assist her with some cash which she normally uses to buy items for her shop, but i normally do this once in a blue moon.

Family and friendship should be separated totally from business except you want to run at loss. The appropriate cost of goods should be for everyone, also payment terms must be met before goods or services are dispatched irrespective of the person's status. You need to observe discipline to grow your business.

When I was young I saw that style of the relatives of the store owner particularly with the restaurant. They would eat with friends and will not pay because of their "badge" as a relative of the boss. I remember my grandmother when she had rented a theater I would bring some of my classmates to watch free movies in that cinema. I was in grade school so it is obvious that the ticket teller will not charge me. But now I have seen the change in the culture. Almost all businesses have their transaction recorded so everyone should pay or be listed in the credit book.

i used to face this issue long time ago, there comes time when you have to be honest and tell them directly that you are paying for that goods and not getting it for free, so they should pay, unless you want to gift them that
Exactly, one has to make it clear to them upfront that the business shouldn't be treated like that. Keeping quiet about won't solve the problem.

There is going to be room for all this complacency where the business is not strictly disconnected from the family. Business is business if you buy you pay. Same rule applies to everyone.

I think due to the nature of business,family offices face a unique issue that can have significant for the health and life of the company and specially family business where assets are shared , it is the main issue to cause conflict.

This is devastating, how would a family who want the business to grow behave like that, they shouldn't forcefully take things from the business or company without the consent of the owner. He should make it clear to them that business is different of family

So I believe that, to make family business go well, we must always try among the members, to always remain in agreement, and "push" everyone in the same direction.
Obviously, also due to different opinions among family members, sometimes problems could arise!
But however is always more than important talk about it, not keep anything hidden and each member of a family should be aware of.

You are related by blood or you knew someone from way back does not guaranteed them direct access to your business they are two different things, your family and friends are to support you financially and morally to help your business to flourish

H
That is absolutely wrong. Business is an entity on it own and should all time be that way. Even if my wife take any product currently on sale from me or any of my staff she must pay for it even if I'm to pay from my budget funds when we get home. Business should never be missed/ interfered with by any family.
[automerge]1609837936[/automerge]

[automerge]1609788559[/automerge]

That is absolutely wrong. Business is an entity on it own and should all time be that way. Even if my wife take any product currently on sale from me or any of my staff she must pay for it even if I'm to pay from my budget funds when we get home. Business should never be missed/ interfered with by any family.

When it comes to family business we all need to thread carefully cause family issues are deep and personal so we don't buttress it the more, you just have to tell them I mean your family members to do diligently to their work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds