Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you resign if your salary was slashed 50%?

The question is if you dont loke tge amount you are paid for your job then what do you do it for?
If my salary is slashed fifty percent honestly i would forfeit the job abd search for a better one.

Advertisement Placeholder
Legally, an employer cannot impose a pay cut upon its employees if they have an employment contract that sets out details of their salary entitlement. This decision is therefore one the employees in questions will have to consent to.
This is exactly how it's supposed to be once there is a signed contract agreement on the employee's payment. It's legally binding that the salary be paid in full unless it's discussed and agreed that the cut be made official. If they cut the salary without an agreement, it's breach of contract.

The only part o would take offence with is the lack of communication of the reasons for the huge slash in salary. I would just put more into securing a new job and just for the sake of it, I would probably just stay absent for a day or two before stating my own reasons too.

If your salary was slashed 50% without any due process or justification, would you resign and take legal action against your employer?

A friend of mine is currently in this situation and he needs advice on what to do.

If my salary is slash into 50% I can't resign because I wouldn't know the reason if is
Justified I will not resign but if is not justified I would resign due to the work one is doing with the salary they earn .
[automerge]1611330694[/automerge]
If my salary is slash into 50% I can't resign because I wouldn't know the reason if is
Justified I will not resign but if is not justified I would resign due to the work one is doing with the salary they earn .
It has to do with if you're working solely because of the salary or you're getting some knowledge from the job apart from the money. but no matter what, a salary slashed by up to 50% would definitely turn a lot of people, even me, off from continuing such a work. That is what I can say about it.

Something is better than nothing, in as much as it's not something one would like, you can only resign when you know you have something to fall back on, like a business. Job security is not guaranteed, learning a skill cannot be overempasized. Certain things may happen in your work place that will prompt you to leave but you cannot because you wont have any source of income anymore.

Well it's fair if someone wants to resign and take legal actions against that company or employee. It's totally against the rights of employee. But he should think first if he have any alternative income or business on which he can rely on after resigning. If not then he should probably stick there and do something about it from inside.

What I will do is talk to my employer and know the reason of his decision. Everything in our lives must be taken slowly. We must learn to talk, communicate and understand the situation. I surely don't want to lose a job but I also don't want people to step on my rights. When it is reasonable to have the slashed then maybe I will accept. But if not then I will take legal action the right way.

If my salary was slash by 50% there are things that prompt it..
I will ask the management why and if their answers were reasonable enough then i won't resign, if the salary will still go back to 100%..
During lock down my salary was slash by 75% none of my colleagues resign because there's no job anywhere.. These days to find a job is very difficult....

I couldn't say that I would just resign because getting a job nowadays are pretty hard. Of course I don't want to be paid less than I deserve but if it is my main source of income then I guess I would stay. It would really depend on the situation and other opportunities.
The reasons why most people are enduring what they wouldn't have endured if the current economic conditions is favourable. Slashing 50% is a difficult condition to live with not when things have added 50% to its price but it's by far better than sleeping at home with zero income, so resigning might not be the best choice for a lot of people.

I have commented on this thread before but let me ask this again. I wouldn't work again in the company whereby my salary is matched by 50%. Except in a situation whereby I will be a part-time worker. But I can't do the same job I have been doing and have my salary slashed by 50% because it is very unfair and everybody has a bill to pay.

Employment lawyer Michael Burd of solicitors Lewis Silkin, who has prepared some pay-cut schemes for employer clients, says: "There's a sense of people being willing to rally round and sacrifice something for a greater good."
But employers and employees alike are in new territory here - and workers need to be careful about what they sign up to. By law, employers cannot unilaterally cut an employee's pay.

If the reasons behind the slashing is good enough, then I'll stay. But even before it got slashed, I should be informed so that I don't get caught unaware when I finally receive my pay. If the slash also applies to my colleagues, then i can stay back.

It depends. If my boss will explain it to me why my salary suddenly slashed in a half, maybe i should consider it(for a meantime) because life today is very hard, we must get paid on what we've worked for. I will work for him until i get another job, and i will not resign without his knowledge and early notice in order for him to get a new replacement employee
Yes off course If my company pay me for half then I will work half. if they pay me full then I work full if my company slashed my salary 50% then I will resign To company and take legal action and take a government action about company.

Must resign with respect. But regarding legal action i am not so sure about spending money on a case may be more than half jnpaud salary amount. so legal case may not be a well journey. I have sympathy anx support for your friend.

If my salary is slashed by 50% without my consent,I'll be so curious to know why and if the reasons given doesn't weigh much,I'll start another job hunting and when i get the new job,I'll tender my resignation calmly and respectfully.

There is no smoke without fire, so first find out why the salary was cut on half.

Depending on the reason, he should decide whether to move on or to continue.
Jobs are not so easy to get especially with the Covid-19 pandemic, so he should tread carefully.

It depends on how much am earning a month and how beneficial it is to me and my family. If am enabler to provide the need of my family with that 50 percent then I can continue with the job and I will be looking for the the one that I will earn more than that. But I the salary will not longer reach some necessary need of my and my family then I see no reason of me staying there

Ordinarily, I will have to resign but it depends on the circumstances beyond my control at the time it happens. If anything happens to my take home any time , I may sue the boss. In other words I may even decide to quit the job

This could be a very tough decision to make. In my opinion, if my salary is slashed without any reason, I think I deserve an explanation for that. But if I can't get genuine explanation and this is the only job I can manage for now, I think I will just endure hoping that things will return to normal someday or continue working until I get another job. My take.

i personally would, that's literally half of the income, which means, less money to save, and it will not even be enough in some cases, maybe finding a better job would be the ideal solution in this case

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds