Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you resign if your salary was slashed 50%?

There must be a very reasonable explanation for it because no employee will be happy that his salary is slashed by 50 percent.
[automerge]1612117038[/automerge]
So If there is no reasonable explanation, I will resign.

Advertisement Placeholder
am a full-time, salaried, at-will employee at a small company in Westchester NY. Due to financial hardship, my company has resorted to cutting everyone's salary by 50%.

First of all, can they do this? The company notifies us of our yearly salary at the beginning of the year and has us sign a confirmation letter "Under section 195.1 of the NY State Labor Law". Can they essentially change that salary when ever they want

Salary slash is therapeutic I can’t even imagine. A 50% decrease on salary will have a huge impact on monthly income and cash flow. In a case like this I won’t resign instead I’ll look for a better alternative before resigning. I beleive that’s the best decision.

Is it legal for an employer to cut your pay or your hours? In many cases, the answer is yes. The amount you make and the hours you work aren't guaranteed.

If you aren't protected by an employment contract or bargaining agreement, your employer can reduce your salary and your work schedule at any time, with some limitations.
That settled, will you resign or remain in the firm. I think 50% is too much nevertheless I believe there are reasons for actions such as this. If my boss explains to me why he did it and I see reasons for it and he also gives me a time when it will be fixed, then I'll won't resign. Anything outside of this, and I'm resigning after my next pay

If this happens to me i will not resign immediately because i need work and finding a work is a very hard. First is will ask my boss or any higher ups on what happen why if my salary slashed but if their are no reason i will report them.

it depends on my offence. If I know I am guilty and the offece carries an equivalent punishment, I won't resign or else I have an alternative but if not, I will resign, I hate being ridiculed unjustly.

That is a very bad character by a business managing department and if I work for a company and my salary is decreased to 50% of what I've been getting as a monthly salary I will confidently resigned from that place because the 50% will not favour me in any way.

The work you do is supposed to give you joy and happiness. Any work you do that does not give you joy is not worthy of your time.
What keeps people the most in the job is the quality salary they receive from the company.
Some time without good salary it will be hard to do a particular job.
Yes I would like to and i would resign immediately, without wasting much time. I vividly remember some years ago after I finished my secondary school, I got employed in a mini supermarket, the owner slashed my salary because of some losses he made which I do not know. Of course I resigned. So, since then I have been working very hard to make money online because I can't stand someone treating me like a trash.

If your salary was slashed 50% without any due process or justification, would you resign and take legal action against your employer?

A friend of mine is currently in this situation and he needs advice on what to do.
There must be a reason for reducing the salary structure. If it's a good thing, I will continue with them but if they can't proof why they slashed my account, I won't accept it. Cus it's not part of our agreement

It looks unjustifiable if the salary of your worker or workers are just slashed without basic information as to why that is that. The person in this situation should seek his boss to help shed more light before a step is taking.

No individual will be happy his salary is slashed by 50 percentage. If there is no good reason for him to slash my salary in half, I will not resign instantly. I will look for an other source of income first, if thats my only source of income.

If your salary was slashed 50% without any due process or justification, would you resign and take legal action against your employer?

A friend of mine is currently in this situation and he needs advice on what to do.
Definitely I will leave the job because I cannot afford 50% half salary because my needs are so many and if my salary is low then I will not live within this salary I will look for the better job and design immediately from previous job.

Salary that has been coming for years and you have been planning and using it becomes slash suddenly is very bad, if the reason for the slash is OK, I will not leave, if it will be slash for sometimes and replace some other times, I will not resign but if it is slash with no good reason, I will resign immediately.

If my salary is slashed by 50%, I won't resign. There are several reasons why salaries are slashed. Some may be due to the fact that the money coming into the firm is down and the employers can't keep up with the demands.

It will depend, if all the employees and workers get this type of situation and get slashed 50% of salary then I will not resign. But if only I victimized then I will ask my reasons and justification, if i do not satisfy by them that I will resign.
So he should figure out reasons.

Yes I would like to and i would resign immediately, without wasting much time. I vividly remember some years ago after I finished my secondary school, I got employed in a mini supermarket, the owner slashed my salary because of some losses he made which I do not know. Of course I resigned. So, since then I have been working very hard to make money online because I can't stand someone treating me like a trash.
Good i really like your courage i don't take a shit when the salary Iam even receiving can't even Change anything talk more of changing my life.
Your effort to work online shall be rewarded it may be that you are meant to help people not just to be used by people.

Resigning or not resigning one's job after 50% salary reduction will only depend on availability of better alternatives. If there's an alternative, then I'll resigning. But if otherwise, I'll only restrategise my spending priority to survive the tide.

Hmmm, it will not be easy, but it depends the reason the company gave me before slashing my salary by a whooping %50 which is too much, but like I said if I get a good reason from my company why they have to slash my salary I may stay with them, example is this covid-19 pandemic all over.

Definitely I will leave the job because I cannot afford 50% half salary because my needs are so many and if my salary is low then I will not live within this salary I will look for the better job and design immediately from previous job.
Seriously, in a country where salaries as low as possible, and ones responsibilities keeps getting higher on daily basis, cutting such staff salaries at 50% without any kind of notice in order for them to make adjustment is definitely trying to kill them.

Legally, an employer cannot impose a pay cut upon its employees if they have an employment contract that sets out details of their salary entitlement. This decision is therefore one the employees in questions will have to consent to.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds