Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💬 Platform Discussion Invision Community v5

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.
I love how this is really a respin of forum reputation that went out of fashion 15 years ago once people realised that it was possible to game the system by having friends regularly upvoting you in those cliques we pretend don’t exist.

On a more conventional business forum like IPS targets, it’ll probably be fine though.

I really like this. I don't feel it will work on my anime community though. But I am not saying it's a bad thing. I had planned on using IC on a new project anyway so this might be the perfect time to start thinking about how I can use this in the new project!

I kind of like the way XF does it.... if you post answers the question, it's marked as the answer by the user themself (not the rest of the people in the thread).
Your profile shows, in additions to all the other fluff that it normally does, the number of solutions that you have given.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 7.25.33 PM.png

And the member list is filterable and ranked by solutions given by members.
Of course, the nodes in question have to be set to allow that function to work as it's not site wide (and you really don't want it to be in stuff like general chatter areas).

I kind of like the way XF does it.... if you post answers the question, it's marked as the answer by the user themself (not the rest of the people in the thread).

You can choose to allow the Topic Starter or Staff to Mark as Solution, or you can set it so that only Staff can Mark as Solution.

Your profile shows, in additions to all the other fluff that it normally does, the number of solutions that you have given.

IPS does this too ;)

We’ve had “mark as solution” by the user and admin for years.

This new feature is separate from that.
It's been years since I spent any money to extend my 4.3 version that I had. I don't remember it in that... but honestly at the time it was not of importance to the site I was using.
But it's pretty much just putting lipstick on a pig. There is only so much you can do to "quantify" the accuracy of something like this.
The ultimate decider if the answer is "the best" is the one that asked it. If the solution fixes their problem.. .then it's the best answer.

Except that as years of watching StackOverflow show, the accepted answer is not always the best answer.

Except that as years of watching StackOverflow show, the accepted answer is not always the best answer.
Exactly this. There is rarely one answer; and even if there is one answer another person may present it more clearly and concisely. The helpful voting should reflect that. It just reduces the noise.

Topics exist for years, what may have been the best answer in 2015, isn't in 2023.

Pages is getting a big overhaul in v5.
I'll create another demo if I can, once v5 is out. Since I find not having the ability to do split pages a big downer for me.

I like to lay out (some) pages similar to this:
Code:
-HEADER-

MAIN CONTENT
COMPARE 1 || COMPARE 2
MAIN CONTENT

-FOOTER-

I could NOT figure out a way to do that in v4.

Invision Community 5 has introduced new customization features, including an Icon Picker tool and an Icon Creator for badges, ranks, and reactions. What do you think of these additions, and how do you see them benefiting your community? Share your thoughts below!

I am sooooo looking forward to Invision 5.

I'm curious what will be left for theme developers moving forward. I do use the default theme with different colors in one of my communities. My second community uses a theme by Ehren, who now works for Invision and all his cool stuff is getting inserted in the core I5 experience. I do have a jgp image background on my second community, which I don't know if I will be able to use in I5 out of the box. But then again, when it is released I might not care.

I am sooooo looking forward to Invision 5.

I'm curious what will be left for theme developers moving forward. I do use the default theme with different colors in one of my communities. My second community uses a theme by Ehren, who now works for Invision and all his cool stuff is getting inserted in the core I5 experience. I do have a jgp image background on my second community, which I don't know if I will be able to use in I5 out of the box. But then again, when it is released I might not care.
I'm sure theme developers will be able to release wonderful themes with great customization possibilities. It may take a little while for them to get used to the new way of making themes, but if anything, this is a HUGE leap in the right direction.

Really loving all of the posted updates that'll be part of v5. As these are the customization options, wondering what more are we going to see in the coming weeks?

Really loving all of the posted updates that'll be part of v5. As these are the customization options, wondering what more are we going to see in the coming weeks?
We have weekly blogs planned though the new year so lots more to show.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor