Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Handling an Incompetent employee

A lot of people have very different ways to which they approach things and how they execute actions. The best way to handle an incompetent employee is to make him competent . know his weak points and tech him according to the policy of the workplace.

Advertisement Placeholder
Your topic is contradicting each other. Because there is no way an incompetent employee will rose to be the head of a department. If the employee now head the department, that means he had worked hard over the years to deserve the position. If he has now becomes lazy, you can only encourage him to put more efforts.

My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
How can one make him to drop his lax ways and become diligent once again.
Why in the world would I put myself through the stress of dealing with such a person? I wouldn't waste any time on such staff and sack him or her immediately.

I think is so unfortunate that some people dosent deserve the position they are and most times some are not basically there on merit and others as well , i hope he could manage to cope

An incompetent employee to me is a treat to the success of the business that is it is a way to failure because I believe he will not be able to discharge his duty as is expected to be done so the best option is to fired him.

If your employee isn't working what you like, and you aren't satisfied with the work he or she have given. You can decide to cut short the contract and pay such person off, them move on.

It is true that most promoted employees tend to slack off in their duties, to handle this set of employees call a meeting give them a daily or weekly target which must be completed else they should be at risk of demotion. Believe me no body wanna get promoted and then get demoted.

It is very difficult to handle an incompetent employee but the best way you can handle such employees to train the employees and basic skills which is involved in your business, with these you can be able to manage such employee.

To have an incompetent employee under your employ is a very bad investment to start with. You should first of all call that employee and have a chat with him concerning his work attitude, if he reasons well, he'll change. If not, then take it up the chain of authority

Your father can handle such employee by cautioning he about the bad behavior or he can remove he from the position he gave to he, this can make the incompetent employee to behave well.

Handling an incompetent employee can be really hard. But one needs to be firm in dealing with such a situationn. You need to give a warning to such an employee and tell him exactly what he is doing wrong. Then give them time to change, if they dont, you either demote them or lower their position.

It is quite strange that an incompetent employee was found worthy of being promoted to a leadership position. The thing to do is write to his bosses to call him to order.

Well concerning your question on how this incompetent employee you have desribed above should be handled, I will say that you have to give him a notice that he is on probation and his promotion is not permanent so he would have to work

I think is so unfortunate that some people dosent deserve the position they are and most times some are not basically there on merit and others as well , i hope he could manage to cope
There are so many people who are out there unemployed and looking for a job with all seriousness, it's not a good use allowing such person to ruin your business.

My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
How can one make him to drop his lax ways and become diligent once again.
Most of the incompetent employee behaves like that because they believe they are a very important figure in the company that you cannot do about, so they tend to misbehave , I believe there are rules and regulation governing the work, sanctioning the incompetent employee can help him to put him on track.

If I own a big business I won't entertain any lazy or unserious employee. Employees are giving work to make the company grow and of course they are paid for their work. so I don't see any reason why any company should entertain a lazy employee.
[automerge]1622621035[/automerge]
No company will like to employ someone who is incompetent and cannot take the business to the next level. That is the reason why companies often sack incompetent workers and employ competent people.

Last edited:
I believe that such worker will have nothing to offer to your dad's company so I would advise that you lay him off after several correction. Before taking the step of laying him off try to make him understand the danger he is likely to bring to the company, then if there are no changes then make a cut in his payment, if there are still no changes then you can lay him off.
I think when it comes to a professional organisation,there should be work ethics and minimum standard of behavior expected of staff members,and that should be the rule to follow,irrespective of whether the person occupies a very big position or not.

It will be unfair to fire an incompetent employees. This is because the boss is to be blamed for employing such in the first instance. Therefore, I advise that business owner to organize seminars and retreat to up grade incompetent employees.

To handle such negativity in the company, the manager/owner ought to set a standard of work for all employees to meet up. When they fail to adhere to the standard then strict measures should be put in place.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds