Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Handling an Incompetent employee

The only way to handle an incompetent employee is to train them to be good in the field of business. Incompetence are of different types, educational qualification incompetence, skill incompetence, character incompetence, age incompetence. Workers with educational or skill incompetence can be trained but others can not .

Advertisement Placeholder
An incompetent employee will always want to ruin ones business if not careful, but if the employer insists on working with the employee then the employee needs to be educated or trained on the line of the Business

Incompetent employees who are willing to learn and grow can turn to be great assets! If an employee isn't competent with a particular responsibility, duty, or position, he/she can be superb with another. It requires the right training and support. Although many employer believe you have to be professional at any post they employ someone. But there are also some who will not fire an incompetent worker but rather change their duty or post & they see good results.

The best way to handle an incompetent employee is to give him warning of not repeating the same act of misconduct, and then study his attitude if he is willing to learn and not repeat the same mistakes, if such persist by not talking to correction, he or she should be fired.

How did he pass through the interview and screening stage? But if he just recently changed from competent to incompetent, then you can ask your daddy to complain and sit him down to knoe the reason for the sudden change.

I wonder why he got a promotion when he's an incompetent employee. The position should be for the one who deserve it, responsible and competent. Incompetency would create problems to the company.

Anyway, the employee should be warned that he needs to step up his game or he'll lose his job or get demoted.

The guys feels like he has paid his due all the way to the top from the bottom of the ladder. Well, all I can say is that your father should face his duty since he is not a boss to the guy. If it happens that his laxity is affecting your father's position in the company, he should report to the human resource department of the company to looking into the matter.

1. Address the situation ASAP.
  2. Re-evaluate the job fit.
  3. Offer support.
  4. Keep your cool.
  5. Lead by example.
  6. Keep an eye on the situation.
  7. When it's time to let them go.

Incompetent could sometimes be relative rather than absolute term to imply a negative employee. Sometimes it might be some learning gap issue that leads to the incompetency.Its public knowledge that you are as strong as your weakest link hence, the first is to identify the cause. Try to factor ways to help and build up such employee provided he or she is willing to be better.
Someone incompetent in one area of job might be superbly resourceful in another. So identifying the strength and weakness of an employee and evaluate way forward is key.
It shouldnt be an automatic cause for firing ,otherwise such company will have a high staff turnover.

Taking about incompetent employee it is either the employee is not up to the required standard of performing duty or the person is lazy. If it is a case of lack of experience, such person can be given some time to understand and become more diligent.

before firing any employee, always gives time to that particular person to improve his quality of services and deliver as per the need of the company. However, if they fail to cope with the situation then the management uses its right to hire other new and competent persons rather than continue with same old and incompetent staff.”
Incompetent employees are bad news in any business enterprise, it doesn't matter if he had brought in customers, he has to be stopped. I think creating competitions for him will make him sit up. You can m advise your father to appoint a co-head of department and assign target roles for them, anyone who fails to meet up will step down for the other one.

The first thing is to know if your father is the director of the company or is an employee. As a director or owner, you should call the employee where the guidelines are given to correct their behavior, if in a short period of time this attitude is maintained, you should look for a witness together with the employee and raise a warning letter and finally, you can execute a justified dismissal for lack of agreements.

There's a process involved in handling an incompetent employee which is referred as the 3Ts, that is Train, Transfer and Terminate. There's a believe that everyone is trainable, but if after training and the didn't pick up, then you have to transfer to either another branch or unit to see if he/she will improve, if the story remain the same, then you have to let the person go. In the issue of your father's coworker, he's a departmental head, which means he reports directly to the company head, what the colleagues can do is to report (anonymously preferably) to any of his superiors so he can be called to order.

This is hard especially because the person in question just got promoted to the head of department position, if he did get promoted to that position, two things now; either the company considers him valuable or he lobbied his way Into the position. However it may be. I think your dad should just calmly talk to him and let him understand his position.

I don't see any reason why I will continue to keep an incompetent person as my employee , because no one wants to experience a failure in his or her business.
What I will do is to try make him improve ,but if he was unable to improve , then I will sack him

That is why you should screen your employees properly before employing them to work for you, to avoid issues like this. But since they are already employed you can organized seminars and worker to improve them, for the good of your own company and business.

Why will you employ an incompetent employees in the first place, before you employ an individual don't employ because of tribe, religion,or settlement.employ with their skills, educational qualification and experience.

Address the situation as soon as possible. Also, Re-evaluate the job fit and Offer support. Moreso, Keep it cool and lead by example. Keep an eye on the situation. When it's time to let them go and also be watchful and vigilant.

This kind of people always drown you to the loss side because he try to do something wrong to get profit himself. I always use to say that everyone has change behaviour and character so we should co-perate with our boss and employees and manage the things properly.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds