Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Handling an Incompetent employee

My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
How can one make him to drop his lax ways and become diligent once again.
The best way to handle an incompetent employee is to first help him grow. Help him with the basic materials necessary to become a better employee. You can help him with paid courses. You can sponsor his trainings.

Advertisement Placeholder
My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
Incompetent employees are bad for business. No matter who they are, they need to sit up tight if not could and will reduce work flow. They need to be replaced or have a competition. With that they would all sit up tight and ready to work

Incompetent employees are bad for business. No matter who they are, they need to sit up tight if not could and will reduce work flow. They need to be replaced or have a competition. With that they would all sit up tight and ready to work
I know right,
[automerge]1610280467[/automerge]
I know right. You know, I thought so too, if someone is does not deliver, he or she should be replaced. It just sounds so easy but it's not as easy as it sounds, sometimes it feels like you've found the right person, it could be for the job, it could be as a partner (your soulmate). But then things change and you feel like, I know this person, I like this person, this person is irreplaceable and stuffs like that.

Regar
Regardless of how important he must have been to the company, if left unchecked sooner that later his incompetence will start to affect the company negatively, so your father should call him to other as some as possible

I think the best way to handle this kind of employee is to give his department a target every month to work on. If his department couldn't meet up with the target been given to him then he should be issued a query. Nobody should see his or her self as being big above the guidelines of any organization his getting paid from.

How did a lazy person earn such promotion maybe he's been seen from another perspective. For him to have brought in some high valued clients shows he's been hard working at his job to a great extent.

everyone is trained to be competent eventhough we still have to develop our own competent skills within us.in a case where you hire an incompetent employee if she is the hard-working type that is always to learn and open minded then you can train him/her

Some people are just too difficult to motivate and that is the major problem because it isn't their business. They work with the worst attitude at work and the solution is to find a way to motivate them. Problem is that some people will never be motivated no matter what you do.

K
We may be calling the employee incomplete, but the question is, did you give this presumed incompetent employee the necessary training and skill update that may be required for him or her to use to effectively carry out their tasks and duty?

Fact is incompetency do not bring productivity to the any business in any way. So therefore, regardless of the class of such person hold holding the position of that HOD, he or she should be replaced by someone better..no matter how good you are there's always someone better believe me.

This would depend on your father's postion in the firm. If he's above the said employee by rank, he might be looking at taking up a query with the employee. If your father is below the employee, the only way is to dialogue and try to make him see why he needs to work hard for everyone else.

He should talk to his own fear or talk to his aunt who will restore his discipline. Every human being works hard for his job and when he gets a warning from the management, he starts doing his job well. The elders say that even dirty water should not be wasted because it also comes in handy. We must prevent bad people from becoming more and more and train them to become good.

To handle an incompetent employee(s), give them a reason why they should or must work hard. Implement an incentive program. By that, they will encourage to be competent. Organize teambuilding, because working is really stressful, an employer should find a way to make his employees release their stress through team buildings.

The best way to deal with such an employee is to face him head on and tell him that nobody is indispensable in any business, that if he doesn't sit up he will be out of the organization in no time no matter the kind of clients he has brought to the company in the past.

Offer Support
In the event that your staff part simply needs some additional direction, think about how you and the group can deal with help them, and follow up on it. Wilson prompts you ought to empower execution where it's most fragile and think about help from peers in the working environment.

Start discussions around Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) so the staff part feels upheld and has a sensible chance to improve.

I believe the reason for interviews is to test the skills and knowledge of the employee. If an employee performs below par, then it is the fault of the employer to an extent. However, some employees might be funny enough to bypass such test. What to do then is to try to figure out what the employer is good at and try to fix them where they could fit.

What do you mean he can't be laid off? As long as he is still an employee, he is expected to work as one. I don't even understand, people tend to work harder when they are promoted so as not to disappoint their employers, so what is with him? I think your dad gave him too much liberty in the first place. You have to put him in his place.

Honestly incompetence is different from laziness, if an employee is incompetent it means he/she doesn't know how and what to do on the job, the person is probably unqualified and should be given the sack immediately, but a lazy person probably knows the job but doesn't do it with much enthusiasm, such person could be placed on probation and maybe penalized but not necessarily the sack.

The best way to handle an incompetent employee is to first help him grow. Help him with the basic materials necessary to become a better employee. You can help him with paid courses. You can sponsor his trainings.
I don't think the incompetence here stems from not having the right skills. What I can see is an employee that is not ready to make the necessary sacrifice for himself and the company. He should be given a query if he's not interested in upgrading his skill set.

Ways Of Dealing With Unreliable Employees
  1. Create A Work-friendly Environment. It is up to you the employer or manager to make sure that the work environment you create for the employees is ideal for bringing out the best in them. ...
  2. Let Your Expectations Be Clearly Known. ...
  3. Lead By Example. ...
  4. Strength and Compassion Should Be Your Mantra. ...
  5. Always Follow Through.
  6. Have a Private Chat. The first step to take when tackling a lazy employee is to simply call them out on their poor behaviour. ...
  7. Set Clear Goals. ...
  8. Offer More Training. ...
  9. Create Consequences. ...
  10. Create Incentives. ...
  11. Give Them Additional Responsibilities. ...
  12. Create Opportunities for Advancement. ...
  13. Get to Know Their Interests.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds