Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Giving a staff/employee a second chance, good or bad idea?

I am sure there are many kind-hearted people who would give second chance to their employees. This might be a big mistake because if an employee cheats you now, then he or she might also cheat you in the future. We should forgive the mistakes of other people and give them a second chance only if they want to change themselves.
I agree with the kind-hearted people in our midst. There are lots of them. However, a second chance would depend on the gravity of the mistake or violation because the company cannot tolerate actions that are inimical to the company's welfare. One violation is stealing from the company which is not pardonable.

Advertisement Placeholder
I agree with the kind-hearted people in our midst. There are lots of them. However, a second chance would depend on the gravity of the mistake or violation because the company cannot tolerate actions that are inimical to the company's welfare. One violation is stealing from the company which is not pardonable.

I remember getting interviewed and training at a company that had a list of "punishments" on violations. They used to fine or "punish" the employees depending on how serious the violations were. They also made a chart for the employees to understand each level of violations. :D

Well I don't see anything wrong with giving a second chance to trusted staff especially those that have been able to help your business grow, you do not sack them just because of a simple mistake.

Mostly yeah but not when the magnitude of the initial offense is huge then letting go would be suitable, but since nobody is perfect and the employee acknowledges his wrong doing and promises to do better unless there won't be another time

Giving a second chance to someone doesn't really mean that he is bound to change. But if the offense at first isn't that serious, he can be given a leverage. But when the offense is great, that should help decide if he would receive a second chance or not.
I think every human being in this life deserve a second chance that partially when the person has not done that thing before and the person is just doing it for the very first time. If we do not give out second chance to people then who will likely be condemning everyone that makes a mistake.

This is indeed a matter of trust, as many managers or business owners have tried to rehabilitate a problematic staffer. Some have succeeded why others have let the employee go. If a stubborn employee is being given a second chance after much pleading, is there anything the employer will gain from such employee? On the other hand, can such employee be fully trusted again ? I have come to realize that many employees do Change positively after their first mistake, but the problem is, can they be trusted again?
Well trust is very expensive, most people miss it after they misbehave, but even if your boss choose to give you second chance the trust will not be there like the the first time.

It all comes down to the decision maker, in the business world the ideal answer is NO. However we live in a world where people like to give second chances and all that, so that could also be a possibility.

It depends on the level of offence which will determine a second chance. In such offences as sexual harassment and stealing, I will make sure the appropriate quarters deal with such human.

I don't think it's a bad idea to give staffs second chances, there's nothing wrong with that. It depends on the extent of crime they committed tho

Majorly everything depends the situation that occurs, if it is actually a situation of lifestyle as well as fatality, there's no 2nd possibility on that particular problem, however if it is actually a small problem of simply little misunderstanding, I may provide a 2nd possibility.. one have to be actually extremely cautious along with he or even her worker.

That's really depends on the type offence he committed, if it's minor offence it is good to be corrected and allowed him to continue working. But if it is offense committed against the policy of the company he should be equerry and meant to face the consequence of his action.

Seriously, the kind of offense that someone committed is something that will determine whether it's right to give the person a second chance because if it's something that is to previous given a second chance is absolutely out of the window.

This is indeed a matter of trust, as many managers or business owners have tried to rehabilitate a problematic staffer. Some have succeeded why others have let the employee go. If a stubborn employee is being given a second chance after much pleading, is there anything the employer will gain from such employee? On the other hand, can such employee be fully trusted again ? I have come to realize that many employees do Change positively after their first mistake, but the problem is, can they be trusted again?
Second chance?

This doesn't mean the employee is likely to turn over a new leaf.
Its a personal decision anyways. As for me, once I have to let you go, there's no call for a second chance.

Well it's all depends on the staff but personally I don't think it a bad deal because like the saying the devil known is better that the angel not known.
[automerge]1633226971[/automerge]
Second chance?

This doesn't mean the employee is likely to turn over a new leaf.
Its a personal decision anyways. As for me, once I have to let you go, there's no call for a second chance.
What if you get another staff and is worse or more nonchalant than the first...and also remember changing of hands offen in a business kills a business.
[automerge]1633228077[/automerge]
Even with pleads my dear trust me must of them still go back to their vomits..it's just the grace of God, I would say giving a stubborn employee a second chance is better though because you don't know who next you are employing.

Last edited:
It is good to give your work is second Chance in the workplace if it happens that the mistake he's intentional. But you must give them a stern warning never to repeat the same mistake.

Yes of course, they can be trusted again. This happen to one of our staff sometimes ago. It was a serious accusation that almost led to the suspension of the staff and we pleaded for him to come back. But he's not the closes friend of our manager

It is Avery taughtful idea for and employer to give an employee a second chanve,it is a very good I feel that humans should be given a second chance to correct their mistakes

It depends on the business owner, if he believes he will see a change in the effort of the employee he may give the employee a second chance .it also depends on the circumstances surrounding the faults of the worker

If i ever have to fire an employee, a second chance would not be necessary.
How do i tell if the same misconduct will not be repeated or made even worse?

If the employee has never shown up late once in ten years, then shows up late for work two days in a row, you may be jumping the gun letting him or her go. The employee isn't doing well in his or her current position but has other strengths you don't want to lose.
I am all giving my staff a second chance when they messed up and the business but in a situation whereby they keep on messing up and they make it as an habit I will definitely get tired of for giving them and then push them out of the door once and for all.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds