Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Demoting Staff Members and Potential for Redemption

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
We've all been there at some point - managing a team of staff members, each with their unique strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes, despite your best efforts in hiring and training, a staff member may fall short of expectations or exhibit behavior that raises concerns. Sometimes, the dedication they once had as a regular member decreases once promoted to Staff. It's a tough situation to be in, but it's a part of the job.

The topic for discussion today revolves around a delicate issue: demoting a staff member. We'll dive into the reasons that might lead you to consider this step, and the even more challenging question - is there room for redemption, and would you still be open to promoting them in the future?

Reasons for Demotion:

1. Performance Issues: One of the most common reasons for demotion is a decline in performance. When a staff member consistently fails to meet their targets or deliver quality work, it can have a significant impact on your team's overall productivity.
  2. Behavioral Concerns: Sometimes, it's not about the quality of work but about how a staff member interacts with others. Issues such as insubordination, a negative attitude, or conflicts with colleagues can destroy the team morale and harmony.
  3. Changing Job Scope: As your business evolves, job roles may need to change. If a staff member is no longer a good fit for their current position due to changes in responsibilities, demotion might be necessary to align their role with their skills.
Is There a Path to Redemption?

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Once you've demoted a staff member, do you believe in second chances? Is there a way for them to regain your trust and potentially earn a promotion again in the future?

Possible Points for Discussion:

1. Recovery Plans: Do you think it's essential for demoted staff members to create and follow a recovery plan to address the issues that led to their demotion?
  2. Timeframes: How long should a demoted staff member need to demonstrate improvement before you consider promoting them again?
  3. Forgiveness and Growth: Are there specific criteria or actions that would convince you that a staff member has genuinely changed and deserves another chance?
  4. Communication: How important is open and honest communication throughout this process, both from the staff member's side and from your end as a manager?
  5. Learning from Mistakes: Should staff members be encouraged to see their demotion as a learning opportunity, and should they be supported in their efforts to grow professionally?
Please share your experiences, thoughts, and any stories you might have about demoting staff members and the possibility of future promotions. It's a topic that many of us will likely encounter in our roles as webmasters, and your insights could help others navigate this complex issue more effectively.

Depending on why they were demoted in the first place definitely plays a huge role on if the member is eligible to return to staff at a later date or not. I know in some cases on other forums I've been a member on, some staff went rogue and messed with settings in the ACP causing the site to be down for a little bit until other admins could fix the issues the rogue staff member caused. I know that from experience too, but thankfully the person didn't do much damage on my forum. Sometimes real life issues come up, and that can affect a person's work performance, causing them to do things out of the ordinary. If that's the case, I'd reach out to the team member and see if they just need to take a break for a while and go on a leave of absence. If employers allow their employees to do the same, admins should be willing to do so for their staff too. It comes with being an admin on any site, you might eventually have to make difficult decisions to better your community.

We've all been there at some point - managing a team of staff members, each with their unique strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes, despite your best efforts in hiring and training, a staff member may fall short of expectations or exhibit behavior that raises concerns. Sometimes, the dedication they once had as a regular member decreases once promoted to Staff. It's a tough situation to be in, but it's a part of the job.

The topic for discussion today revolves around a delicate issue: demoting a staff member. We'll dive into the reasons that might lead you to consider this step, and the even more challenging question - is there room for redemption, and would you still be open to promoting them in the future?

Reasons for Demotion:

1. Performance Issues: One of the most common reasons for demotion is a decline in performance. When a staff member consistently fails to meet their targets or deliver quality work, it can have a significant impact on your team's overall productivity.
  2. Behavioral Concerns: Sometimes, it's not about the quality of work but about how a staff member interacts with others. Issues such as insubordination, a negative attitude, or conflicts with colleagues can destroy the team morale and harmony.
  3. Changing Job Scope: As your business evolves, job roles may need to change. If a staff member is no longer a good fit for their current position due to changes in responsibilities, demotion might be necessary to align their role with their skills.
Is There a Path to Redemption?

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Once you've demoted a staff member, do you believe in second chances? Is there a way for them to regain your trust and potentially earn a promotion again in the future?

Possible Points for Discussion:

1. Recovery Plans: Do you think it's essential for demoted staff members to create and follow a recovery plan to address the issues that led to their demotion?
  2. Timeframes: How long should a demoted staff member need to demonstrate improvement before you consider promoting them again?
  3. Forgiveness and Growth: Are there specific criteria or actions that would convince you that a staff member has genuinely changed and deserves another chance?
  4. Communication: How important is open and honest communication throughout this process, both from the staff member's side and from your end as a manager?
  5. Learning from Mistakes: Should staff members be encouraged to see their demotion as a learning opportunity, and should they be supported in their efforts to grow professionally?
Please share your experiences, thoughts, and any stories you might have about demoting staff members and the possibility of future promotions. It's a topic that many of us will likely encounter in our roles as webmasters, and your insights could help others navigate this complex issue more effectively.
Generally speaking, trust is harder to regain than to maintain it in the first place, and is even easier to lose or erode. Of course people mature but many times ppl claim to be a “changed person” as a form of manipulation, while some will genuinely learn from their mistakes which is more valuable than one who has never made a mistake.

That all goes to show there is no “one-size-fits-all” approach. We should not think in black and white, our brains are not zebras 🤪 !

It's a shame that you can't demote yourself even though at times you really want to. All the crap that you have to deal with doesn't help the backlog of jobs that you got on your hands. Removing the staff is what mostly happens when they want the job then they end up the opposite and not the right person for the job and it's not for them. Paid is another in-hand act, isn't it? different story together and not to say that they can leave you rather than approving the demoted role.

It's a shame that you can't demote yourself even though at times you really want to. All the crap that you have to deal with doesn't help the backlog of jobs that you got on your hands. Removing the staff is what mostly happens when they want the job then they end up the opposite and not the right person for the job and it's not for them. Paid is another in-hand act, isn't it? different story together and not to say that they can leave you rather than approving the demoted role.
Unless you’re an admin with ACP access with permissions to manage user groups, that is that you can’t demote yourself ;)

Sure I believe people can change. As for repromotion, it depends. Hopefully you have a private staff room where you can discuss it amongst the other officers. If they agree to give them another chance then by-all-means, but if they don't believe they're ready then you have your answer there. A forum is much more then an admin. It's a team effort, a democracy if you would. At least that's how I run my forums. The forum is nothing without the people posting in it. Is it worth making one person happy and upsetting many or upsetting one person while the rest remain happy and engaged.

Sure I believe people can change. As for repromotion, it depends. Hopefully you have a private staff room where you can discuss it amongst the other officers. If they agree to give them another chance then by-all-means, but if they don't believe they're ready then you have your answer there. A forum is much more then an admin. It's a team effort, a democracy if you would. At least that's how I run my forums. The forum is nothing without the people posting in it. Is it worth making one person happy and upsetting many or upsetting one person while the rest remain happy and engaged.
I couldn't agree more with this.

That sounds like a great forum :)

Well this was way back in the day when I used to make my own forums. If I were to create a forum in this day and age, then this is the approach I would take. But thanks!

You also have to watch out for them power hungry members (we shall call them dark side users ) these are the ones that will help your forum out just to get in the good graces of the site staff for that promotion. Once they have it they will try and assert themselves into the leadership. For someone like that there is no second chance.

You also have to watch out for them power hungry members (we shall call them dark side users ) these are the ones that will help your forum out just to get in the good graces of the site staff for that promotion. Once they have it they will try and assert themselves into the leadership. For someone like that there is no second chance.
More than assert themselves, try to take over the site and make decisions without consulting the site owner, ban members they don’t like without regard for moderation policy, site rules, the opinion of the site owner, etc.

More than assert themselves, try to take over the site and make decisions without consulting the site owner, ban members they don’t like without regard for moderation policy, site rules, the opinion of the site owner, etc.
I say "try" because I don't tolerate that type of stuff on my forums, first sign of the dark side it's an automatic demotion no questions asked, do not pass go and do not collect 200 dollars. lol

In a 2-year span, I had to fire 2 of them. One for spewing racist garbage on my site & picking fights with one of my members, and the second for telling me how to do my job. These are the things I will never tolerate whether if I'm online or not.

In a 2-year span, I had to fire 2 of them. One for spewing racist garbage on my site & picking fights with one of my members, and the second for telling me how to do my job. These are the things I will never tolerate whether if I'm online or not.
It’s a staff member’s duty to advise you on how to do your job, right? With that being said, long as they don’t cross boundaries and do things you don’t like without your consent, or push past boundaries in other ways.

It’s a staff member’s duty to advise you on how to do your job, right? With that being said, long as they don’t cross boundaries and do things you don’t like without your consent, or push past boundaries in other ways.
As an administrator, I'm responsible for what's happening and I'm also responsible to make sure everyone at my site is courteous, and respectful. And hey, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
As an administrator, I'm responsible for what's happening and I'm also responsible to make sure everyone at my site is courteous, and respectful. And hey, thanks for the advice.
Of course, and I respect your view :) . In your opinion what’s the role of a moderator then?

Of course, and I respect your view :) . In your opinion what’s the role of a moderator then?
A moderator's role is to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to not only to me and each other as staff members, but to the members as well. Their job is to also come up with fresh, new ideas to keep the site going, etc.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor