Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

You cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment. Accidents occur. It is appropriate to handle the damage as a business cost. Only if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence will you ask an employee to compensate for damaged equipment.

Advertisement Placeholder
We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
I think employee needs to pay for the damages of the equipment or properties if it occurs out of negligence. Some workers are very lazy and doping attention to the details and to the equipment. So the best way to make them pay for their negligence and nonchalant attitude is to ask them to pay for damages whenever occur from them. this will make them to always pay attention to whatever they are doing in the workplace.

During my working days as an employee, the managing director of the company has always insisted that employees should pay for any damages caused by them, not because the company can't cover it but so that these employees would be careful in the course of doing their jobs and I totally agree with him.

Definitely there will be accidents in the place of work and it shouldn't be a deliberate policy by the employer to make it an expense to be borne by the employee.
I too myopic to even consider doing such. There should other ways around it as implementing this policy will make staff apprehensive and put them on the edge.

According to my own point of view I don't think it is right for an employee to pay for damage but in some organisation employee do pay for damage, well maybe that maybe the rules and regulation of the organisation but I don't think it should be done that way

an employee should pay for damages if it intentionally happened .but in the case where it happened by mistake ,employers should consider it is normal weigh and pay for the damages

I think a good question would be to ask if such agreement is in their appointment letters or contracts with your company. If it is situated and they agreed to it, when employee damage company equipment, they are liable to pay for such damages or some kind of penalty should be given. But if such rule was not indicated during the time of employment, then you might not be able to ask the employee to pay all the debt

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
I'll require them to pay for damages, this will make them more careful when handling office equipment. Then again it depends on the scenario I could pardon the staff involved if I know him/her to be a careful staff.

It may be mistake, employee can not intentionally damage the company property so in this case it's not good to request for the damages from the employee

If an employee or worker mistakenly damage one thing or the other, it is very wrong for you to ask them to pay for damages. Such employee would develop a form of hatred for you and won't show much dedication to his or her job like he normally uses to. It isn't in anyway appropriate to ask an employee to pay for damages.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.

I think it depends on the way the damage happened. In my experience an employee had damaged the computer when he was moving it to another table and accidentally dropped it. No big deal, said our boss because it was obviously an accident. But for an equipment to be deliberately damaged then that is already a crime that can even be a civil case. Employees should be careful when it comes to expensive equipment like computers because damaging it can be a high cost to replace.

By the way this dependd on conditions you began with .Besides, everything in life has to do with hazard. In this way, It ought to be important for marketable strategy to ensure there is a protection to cover vulnerability . May there be protection cover for your staff throughout your business

Mistakes is bound to happen, if my employee got something damaged mistakenly which is vividly clear that's the fault is not from the employee, the employee will be pardon and received warning.

Truth be told, if i am in that position i will definitely act professional and amend and repair all the damages in my company. Since it is my company after all. It is in my responsibility to do that as the employer.

It's belong to your kindness. My point view if employees unfortunately damage something then instead of to pay employees we should increase there encourage and provide replacement of the damages thing.

According to company policy, they should pay the damages. But for extra charges, they should not pay it. It is not against the labor laws when the employee has negligence on their part. This is already explain to them before they are hired and it is under contract.

An employee should take responsibility of what ever mistakes he or she has made .And should be allowed to pay for what ever damages depending on the severity of the damages. Since most employee's can hardly make enough money for some things it is only reasonable to allow them to pay for petty things

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.

The answer is yes and no depending the situation that lead to the damage, if it is deliberate, the employee will pay, if it is out of negligence, the company and the employee will combine and pay, if it is out of mistake, the employee will not pay.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds