Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

This is a dicey issue. But I'm of the opinion that customers should not pay for damaging company assets if it happens by mistake. However, if it's a deliberate attempt by the employee to destroy the company assets then, he should pay for the damaged property.

Advertisement Placeholder
If an employee mistakenly damage something it's not right to ask them to pay for it especially if the damages happened during the course of carrying out the company duties, but if it is in the lay down rules and regulations of the company to pay the employee should oblige since he signed for it before he accepted the job.

If I were an employer, I wouldn't nitpick and split hairs over whether it was an accident or not. I'd just give the employee the benefit of the doubt, appreciate that accidents happen and let it go. However, if it happened repeatedly, I'd smell a rat and would want to get to the bottom of the whole thing.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
@Ogbest what could make an employee of a company intentionally damage an equipment owned by the company? We all know that accident do happen which is usually un planned and such should be termed business expenses.

In accidental case no. But this commitment must be recorded in the employment contract that is signed when entering a company. Everything is also based on what is broken and what type of equipment, which is also reflected in said agreement or can be added depending on the case. Since, to be honest, there are teams that even the same company has difficulty paying for certain repairs or purchase of equipment, in this case the expenses must be covered together.

Well, it depends on the lay down rules of the organisation, if the organisation has said in the contract that any damage will be paid for by the employeee then there's nothing much that can be done, so when applying for a job read all the terms and conditions to know.

It all depends how it happens, one friend of mine mistakenly damaged the company car, the wheel screens broke while driving home. And he was forgiven, and staff damage the company printer and he was asked to fixed it. Reasons being that he been warned several times on his careless towards company properties.

For an organisation i think insurance should cover most if not all damages but their are some employee that has the attitude of been non-challant towards his belongings and transferred it to his or her working place if the employer insists for payemet of damages then it worth it

Typically, an employee is not held liable for ordinary carelessness or negligence in the performance of their duties. However, if an employee acts outside the scope of reasonableness, causing damage or injury to either property or persons, an employer may

The employee has no fault if it was an accident so he/she doesn't have to pay for the damage caused. But if it was on purpose, then the employee will be held responsible and will have to pay back. A deliberate destruction of company property is not a good behavior and shouldn't be condoned in any way.

This dependd on conditions you started with .Secondly, everything in life has to do with risk. So, It should be part of business plan to make sure there is an insurance to cover uncertainty . Let there be insurance cover for your staff in the course of your business

I don't think it is adviseable for employees to pay for damages because we all know that mistakes happen and nobody is above that. More so, accident happens. It could happen to anyone. However, there must be a grand rule on ground if there is a reoccurence of the same damages over time, then such am employee should be penalized.

It depends on the gravity of the offense. If it gross negligence then he must pay for it because gross negligence so deliberate act. If it is an accident I will not charging him for anything but a stern warning will be given that it must not happen the next time.

if it is by accident that an employee breaks or damages an equipment, i don't think that he or she will be required to replace it. So in that scenario, any company that there's an employee to replace a damaged equipment which happened by accident, is not worth working for.

You can require an employee to reimburse you for broken equipment – with some limitations. If the employee who broke a piece of equipment earns minimum wage, you cannot deduct anything from his pay, because that would drop his hourly pay below the federal minimum wage. It would be wise to prepare and add a "damage to company property policy" template to your employee handbook or training materials.

an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence

Not really. Employer should be able to comprehend that sometimes some unexpected incidence do happen of which we cannot avoid it. Same thing goes to the employee, that they ought to be very careful in handling tools to minimize damages.
Employers should not charge an employee for damage refunding but if persist, then the employer can take action for it.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?

You even need to be told that you are going to be paying for any office property in your care that you destroyed. It's actually written in every appointment letter maybe you missed reading it in your own but it's the mode of operation in every business establishment.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds