Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

Employees should not take responsibility for damages that were called in a company because most employees do not have enough to pay for most damages and if they must pay at all you should be minimum

Advertisement Placeholder
We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
At times employees should take responsibility for some damages, if the company keeps sorting out the damages , people tend to take advantage of it. They won't care if the particular thing get damage simply because the company will pay for it. If they take responsibility at times they will know how to take care and maintain the companies property

No I don't think so because it happens somehow by mistake we are not doing such kind of things buy or yourself or not by from heart if it happens randomly the company will pay off this yes but if you did by yourself without any mistake so you will be responsible to pay for the requirement equipment that you break the company is responsible for only those thing which is happen by all members so if you did something wrong by knowing the thing that you are doing wrong so you will be responsible and you will pay for the break thing

No one is above mistake, mistakes are bound to happen but their are some mistakes that shouldn’t be given a chance, some employees take risk that they know quite alright that the chances are 80,20 such mistakes should be paid for

You can require an employee to reimburse you for broken equipment – with some limitations. If the employee who broke a piece of equipment earns minimum wage, you cannot deduct anything from his pay, because that would drop his hourly pay below the federal minimum wage. It would be wise to prepare and add a "damage to company property policy" template to your employee handbook or training materials.

If your employee breaks a piece of equipment, such as a leaf blower, and you need to recover the cost of the item, you should have a signed authorization from this employee, so you can take the deduction from his paycheck. Have such a form – an employee damage company property letter – handy in your files in case you need it.

I don't think employee should pay for damage but what I messages is employee should be query when they commit any offence that leads to damage. But it's some organisation due to their stated rules and regulation sometimes employees and made to pay for damages.

Employers may be tempted to get an employee to pay for the cost of damages or losses which he or she causes by simply deducting the money from his or her salary. This would be a handy way to hold employees to account and to get them to take better care of the employer’s property. But it’s not that simple…

Section 34 of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act 75 of 1997 allows an employer to make deductions from an employee’s salary, but only if he or she agrees to it in writing. And, even if the employee does agree, the deduction will only be legal if it meets the requirements of subsection 2:

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.
Asking an employee to pay for damages depends on the circumstances around the damage. If it's a huge damage in terms of cost, the damages can be shared but if it's minor, the the employee won't bear any damages.

I don't think employees should be made to pay for damages, when they work for you they are surely liable to make mistakes which no one is above. If the damage is however intentional they should be made to pay for it.

Dameges on what exactly? Did he distroy anything in the office? Was he changed to court? Did the court ask him to pay for damages? If the finds him guilty of an offense and say that he must pay for damages then he should face the law, but if that's not the case then he should be considered.

The decision to sanctions an employee for damages is dependent on the company's policy. In my opinion, it is not necessary to sanction an employee if it's the first mistake but such an employee may be penalized if such a thing reoccur.

I don't think employees should be charged for damages especially if it is their first time or if the damage caused is not much but if the damage caused is much a certain amount may be charged from their salaries or wages in order for them not to make the same mistake

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
There are provisions for cases like this in the staff handbook of most organizations where all forms of damages were considered.
Sanctions ranging from warning, dismissal, termination are all available for cases like this. What they do in most cases is to use the monetary value to quantify the magnitude and attach a sanction to it to serve as guide to all

Yeah they would.. if they are the ones ones responsible for the damages and the business or organisation needs the thing or machinery urgently then the employee should pay for the damages so that the business will progress in sales and profit making.

Well shall as an employee you have to be careful on what you are doing eather the director or the person you are working under is around or not. But an employee should be punished if he or she damage something well know that it will affect his or work

Regardless of fault, an employer may seek to have the employee pay for damages. ... Employers cannot deduct money from an employee to cover the cost of damages with a clear, signed agreement with written consent.

There should be clearly stated terms of engagement before the contract letter and it should state whether or not employees are to pay for damages but if there isn't, I feel it is the motive behind the damage because if it was unintentional it might have to be company expenses or lack of expertise but if it was deliberate then it should be the employee

It depends on the kind of damages and the level of the employees,but before I employs some body to my business,I must present guidelines that guided my environment and my business.so if I consider that the damages are due to pay,, the employees will pay.

It depends on how expensive the equipment they are breaking his but if the equipment is so simple that I can just buy it and replace it there will be no problem and he if he or she has broken anything intentionally will also help me to determine which action to take

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you can't require him to pay for replacement equipment,accident can happen anytime, it must be treated at the business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damage if the accident is done purposely

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds