Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💬 Platform Discussion Invision Community v5

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.
Unfortunately, they want $520 for the first month and 20/mo after for a self-host license. No thanks. lol. I'd be ok with 20/mo, but not 500 additionally.
Where did you get this pricing?

There are discussions over on the IPS forums of the new pricing, and it clearly shows $450 for first year and $199b/ yr for renewal.

This is down from $850 and $350, respectively.

There is an "official" way to create a thread using bbcode, viewing page source, then pasting a certain section of code to a page node, but that doesn't make it easy to edit later on, since I usually delete the thread after the page is created.

And I'm not very happy with them not offering a way for hobbyist people to really be able to make use of their software. Pricing is not good for hobbyists, they're leaving out a possible chunk of sales there. I would gladly pay 20/mo (well, maybe half of it, friend covering other half) to access it on my site, since I don't really expect to make an income back from the site. But their forcing a $500 initial charge in addition to 20/mo cuts out pretty much all hobby sites. 99% of hobby sites most likely would NOT pay $500 plus 20 for first month, in addition to the 20/mo after.

Not a very smart business decision, IMO. If I was building something similar, I would offer a deal to hobby sites/communities that would make it a heck of a lot more affordable, maybe by removing commerce features.
The hobbyist market for forums is ... Not strong.
1. There is almost zero reason for low-end hobbyists to incur all of the overhead and hosting costs of running their own forums, when you can literally start a Discord, Facebook Groups, MeWe, Amino App, etc in the next 5 seconds with no cost.
2. If you're going to get a forum license and you're concerned about cost, then buy a second hand Xenforo license. That's the smartest way to get your hands on a license.

Where did you get this pricing?
direct from a DM from management:
Screenshot_20230730_130830_Edge.png
No response to my last reply in just about a day.

If you're going to get a forum license and you're concerned about cost, then buy a second hand Xenforo license. That's the smartest way to get your hands on a license.
I have an XF license, but like I've mentioned multiple times, I'm no coder. I can barely do basic HTML with H1/2/3, links, and paragraphs. That's basically it. I can't do the html/css for designing, like floating stuff to the left/right, flowing text around images, etc.

I basically require a visual page builder (a few have said use a visual html builder, but I don't think that's much better since I'd have to keep converting it to html, going into the back end and multiple menus in, vs just hitting 'edit' like with the arrow on left of something like IPS to edit front-end), but I don't want to do WordPress since all the bridges seem to be like 80+.

I also can't seem to remember any advanced code for more than an hour or two, before forgetting it haha. (and College is not an option, tried college 4 times, dropped out all 4)

There are discussions over on the IPS forums of the new pricing, and it clearly shows $450 for first year and $199b/ yr for renewal.
And on their official "buy it" page.

Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 1.24.57 PM.png

If one needs the functions.... then it's well worth it. I find it interesting that their old Calendar is now listed as Events. Have they made it more event concentric?
Are they now supporting multiple "license formats" for self-hosted in that the "old people" get to pay for each add-on individually still (and about $50 more on renewal for all 1st party add-ons) or have they converted those old licenses into their now Classic offering and adjusted the renewals?

Last edited:
direct from a DM from management:
View attachment 1707
No response to my last reply in just about a day.

I have an XF license, but like I've mentioned multiple times, I'm no coder. I can barely do basic HTML with H1/2/3, links, and paragraphs. That's basically it. I can't do the html/css for designing, like floating stuff to the left/right, flowing text around images, etc.

I basically require a visual page builder (a few have said use a visual html builder, but I don't think that's much better since I'd have to keep converting it to html, going into the back end and multiple menus in, vs just hitting 'edit' like with the arrow on left of something like IPS to edit front-end), but I don't want to do WordPress since all the bridges seem to be like 80+.

I also can't seem to remember any advanced code for more than an hour or two, before forgetting it haha. (and College is not an option, tried college 4 times, dropped out all 4)
Oh. That's definitely $499 for the entire first year.

Then after the first year, it's $19 / mo or $199 for annual renewals.

With that said, if money is an issue, you may want to strongly consider cheaper ecosystems like SMF or MyBB.

Oh. That's definitely $499 for the entire first year.

Then after the first year, it's $19 / mo or $199 for annual renewals.

With that said, if money is an issue, you may want to strongly consider cheaper ecosystems like SMF or MyBB.
I used to use SMF many, many years ago back in the 1.x days. It was a bit too simple (pardon the sorta pun haha). XF still works even though my license is expired (barely, its available till 2.2.12, latest is .13). I've never used mybb before, but I've invested money in XF over the years and I'd rather use what I paid for. :p

I was just hoping IPS was more affordable, since their page builder is 100x better than XF's page builder which is not visual at all really. haha.

I do have a coder friend but he's in college so doesn't really have time to custom code pages for me.

I mean, "Events" is shorter in navigation than "Calendar" -- maybe that was one reasoning? Shorter for navigation? Dunno.
I think (it's been a while) that to make an entry the Create Event was used.. it was just the slug was /calendar instead of /events like it is now. That's where route filters in XF are nice... with the 4.3 version I was running, it was not easy to do the same with IPS.

This is an example of the old paths for the calendar entries. It shows my primary domain since the pipe site was offline for a while and my Astro site was set as the default to answer for all traffic.

Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 3.13.41 PM.png

Calendar used to kind of sit there mostly unused with a bunch of random stranger's birthdays shown.

We reworked it into an events platform, where you can schedule live events (such as Zoom, Youtube, etc) as well as advertise in-person events with RSVP, mapping and so on.

Calendar used to kind of sit there mostly unused with a bunch of random stranger's birthdays shown.

We reworked it into an events platform, where you can schedule live events (such as Zoom, Youtube, etc) as well as advertise in-person events with RSVP, mapping and so on.
Hay matt, did not expect you to join here :p

Even so, the events platform is a good idea and sites are using it but not many though. Depends on there needs.

Seems that IPS is back to pulling their standard crap (and sorry @joelr and @Matt M, you are going to have a piss-poor time trying to defend this).
If the below linked thread is (from the post linked forward) an indicator.. they have blown their load. Unless you are a commercial site making LOTS of money..I suggest you look at a migration path.. hell, vBulletin would probably be a more viable option.
I was actually thinking of renewing an outstanding license... but this simply was the stinky "vulture vomit" topping on their previous actions.. trying to defend them is like a MAGA cult member trying to tell you why "their" version of the GOP is "the best". I'm glad that I actually DID settle on extending my XF license instead of IPS. Let's not even talk about the fact that IPS apparently removed the "Groups" from the self hosted community offering (where it has ALWAYS been present) but DID keep it in their SaaS (Cloud) offering... talk about shite walking... wear it proudly IPS. I would suggest a more brownish tone for your default colors though.

<don't get fooled by what the unfurl shows.. the shit-show really gets started at the link itself>

For those of you (specifically you @joelr) that commented on my lack of belief in their continued support of self-hosted scripts (and your promise of a decade of support) and their desire to push every swinging-**** onto their SaaS plan.. this is simply ONE more nail in that coffin of the vampire known as IPS.

Last edited:
Seems that IPS is back to pulling their standard crap (and sorry @joelr and @Matt M, you are going to have a piss-poor time trying to defend them).
If the below linked thread is (from the post linked forward) an indicator.. they have blown their load. Unless you are a commercial site making LOTS of money..I suggest you look at a migration path.. hell, vBulletin would probably be a more viable option.
I was actually thinking of renewing an outstanding license... but this simply was the stinky "dog-poo" topping on their previous actions.. trying to defend them is like a MAGA cult member trying to tell you why "their" version of the GOP is "the best". I'm glad that I actually DID settle on extending my XF license instead of IPS.

<don't get fooled by what the unfurl shows.. the shit-show really gets started at the link itself>
Doesn't affect those that already had it since 2015 like me. Back in 2015, I paid about £350 (without the blogs) for Self-hosting, then six months to renew my licence. That's gone up now since 2015. IPB are defo into cloud hosting and using their own servers to get people to use them to host...

Like how they add the link right on the bottom out of display for those that want to host it themselves

Doesn't affect those that already had it since 2015 like me. Back in 2015, I paid about £350 (without the blogs) for Self-hosting, then six months to renew my licence. That's gone up now since 2015. IPB are defo into cloud hosting and using their own servers to get people to use them to host...

Like how they add the link right on the bottom out of display for those that want to host it themselves
Yes, it WILL affect you, specifically if self-hosted.. maybe you need to do a little more research.. it's not just affecting NEW license holders.... now, if you are on their SaaS already.. you simply need to lay back, spread 'em and enjoy the assault.
Did you actually take the TIME to read that thread?
I've had a license since 2015... but guess what.. If I let my license lapse for more than 2 years (which it has been since I don't use it on an active site)...I get the "joy" of buying the shit all over again as if new under their new rules.

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 5.33.47 AM.png

This is a classic over on the IPS site

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 5.41.23 AM.png
He's mistaken on Downloads.. it is in the Classic self-hosted offering.. but if he was referring to groups.. bend over.. take it up the chute.
As an example.. the Groups would actually be more beneficial to my main site than downloads, since I don't offer direct downloads, simply links to others.
Now, never mind that someone that is self-hosted and ONLY needs the forum ability is going to get "massaged" for another $80 USD that they would not normally expend... guess some folks support rape (financial).

Honestly.. I warned folks for a while.. but certain persons wanted to 'poo-poo' those warnings.. guess what.. many of them are coming true and are as apparent as hairy warts on a witches face.
Now, for me.. yes, I would ultimately benefit (other than getting screwed on the Groups that they moved to SaaS for NO tech reasons). But honestly... I can't stomach the BS they are pushing out and simply refuse to give them any more money. Hell, I'd give money to vBulletin before I would IPS currently, and I would not use that on an active site.. look at it as toilet paper expenditures.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the new license agreement. The only thing that does bother me is the fact that you need to update the license within two years to make sure you don’t lose it.

If anything, it has better license terms except the fact that you are able to lose the license. That’s a bit too much and that’s the reason why everyone is giving them a hard time.

I agree that it’s unfair to the devs in a way that some people wait months to years and renew once to get all updates, but that’s just how it goes everywhere else too. This move will issue in a giant client drop, migrating to XF or Wolt.

It’s too soon to judge, v5 hasn’t seen the daylight so maybe we all get blown away by it that makes us forget about this. If not, this will only make their clients even more mad. So I understand both parties.

So I understand both parties.
What I understand is IPS is (as it always does) working to maximize their income at the cost of their license holders. Their "commercial" interests will ultimately not give a crap.. a thousand here and a thousand there are simply rounding errors... but I'm pretty sure there is a noticeable segment that their income is a based upon CURRENTLY that this is going to ultimate "fvck" over. And honestly.. I hope they take it right up the 'chute' as a result. It couldn't happen to a more deserving set of upper level button pushers.
I notice you "glossed" over the simple fact that now Groups has been moved strictly over to the SaaS offering.. when there is NO technical reason to do so as for years it has ran just fine on self-hosted. Some of the other SaaS only offerings I realize need infra-structure support.. but sorry... I have NEVER known their LONG STANDING Groups offering that worked fine for years in standalone to "suddenly" need the cloud infrastructure to work. There is NO adequate TECHNICAL reasoning for that other than "we want your ass on SaaS paying us more money".
And yes.. I foresee a massive migration (especially amongst the hobby group) quickly away from IPS.. then I foresee their "begging for forgiveness" afterwards when a certain orifice starts hurting because a noticeable segment of their license holders kicked them to the curb. I honestly hope folks will simply treat them like vBulletin. A has-been.

Last edited:
I've had a license since 2015... but guess what.. If I let my license lapse for more than 2 years (which it has been since I don't use it on an active site)...I get the "joy" of buying the shit all over again as if new under their new rules.
My licence is been active since 2015 and I never missed a renewable fee, and never let it go. But from what I see you let it go in 2018 and since then we have moved to V4 and V5 is near. So it seems that Liceance only appears to be V3. might be wrong, but let it go for three years. I thought that once you brought the IPB software you own it outright and just have to keep the lease renewed

My licence is been active since 2015 and I never missed a renewable fee, and never let it go. But from what I see you let it go in 2018 and since then we have moved to V4 and V5 is near. So it seems that Liceance only appears to be V3. might be wrong, but let it go for three years. I thought that once you brought the IPB software you own it outright and just have to keep the lease renewed
Once more.. you REALLY need to do more research, especially if you are self-hosted.... And NO, you do NOT own it "outright"... that simple statement tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about your level of knowledge of IPS and their "offerings".
If you don't "renew" based upon THEIR guidelines.. you get the honor of buying the ENTIRE package as new again.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor