Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Handling an Incompetent employee

Offer support.
Reevaluate job fit.
Lead by example.
Keep an eye on the situation.
Address the situation as soon as possible.

Advertisement Placeholder
My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
How can one make him to drop his lax ways and become diligent once again.
Well there are somethings that offices have, he might not be putting in much hours in the office but does some office job outside the office that no one know off.

My father's usually comes home to complain of an Incompetent employee, that doesn't put in much hours in the job. The employee was recently promoted to head of a department, so he feels that he can slack off because he now heads the department, and he can't be easily laid off because he's an important figure in the business who has brought much clients to the company.
If you want to live long or avoid high blood pressure,the best thing for you to do is to sack such workers,there is no leniency when it comes to money.

In this case, i feel that your father's employee now see him/he as an very important employee and is now using his situation to show pride. If I were your father i will sack him and get somebody who will do the work well.

An incompetent employee should be given a time frame to sit up like a probation period. And his flaws or area of incompetency should be pointed to him because sometimes he may Think he's doing the right thing all along not knowing.....

A query or a stern verbal of an incompetent staff might just do the magic in jolting him or her to seriousness

There are so many ways to handle an incompetent employee in the workplace. The following are my own suggested ways of handling such employees:
1. On the-job-training. I mean such employee should not be fired, but rather be given task umpteenth times alongside a supervisor.This recurrent task will lead to specialization.
2. Training the employees: Some employers do not understand that committed and dedicated staff are their assets. When you see a staff that is dedicated and committed to the organization and displays some level of incompetency, do not fire such staff, rather send him for seminars and courses to empower him with the prerequisite skills and knowledge on the job. When he is back, he simply adds value to the organization.

Depends a lot on the level of closeness one has with the employee. If they mingle very well a serious and open minded discussion should do it. If they don't see eye to eye that's where the problem is. Drastic measures may be needed to get the person back on track.

I think it will be better to call the person and calmly talk about his faults and how he should do better, let him put himself in your shoes as the employer and try to understand. If the person is ready to do better, there will be a change.Sometimes the person might be going through something especially if he was competent at first and recently becomes incompetent.
Yeah - That's the right thing to do but with some people who are not willing to learn and accept their faults, it's definitely going to be impossible to correct themselves in the end.

Before the employee was promoted he has been slacking in his job what was done that time to correct the attitude?I believe there are channels through which he should have been reported and necessary action taken to stop his attitude.

An incompetent staff can never be a good sign to any establishment as it can cause reduction in productivity or growth. I think the right thing is to approach the said staff to try and find out why the lapses in his or her part as it is good to hear his or her own side of the story too.

I believe that such worker will have nothing to offer to your dad's company so I would advise that you lay him off after several correction. Before taking the step of laying him off try to make him understand the danger he is likely to bring to the company, then if there are no changes then make a cut in his payment, if there are still no changes then you can lay him off.
I think the company's policy need to be enforced at any given point in time,especially when it comes to conduct that can distrupt the smooth operational activities of the company,this would be after some warnings from the management.

I do not see the need of keeping and paying an employee that i know very well is incompetent.
Such is a liability to the business.
The best way to deal with such is to dismiss him or her.

Incompetent employees would not help in the growth of a company but rather help in the destruction of the company. There's no reason to keep an incompetent employees.

The best way to handle an incompetent employee is to relieve him or her of their job. You can not change an adult who doesn't attach value to his or her job.

Incompetent employees would not help in the growth of a company but rather help in the destruction of the company. There's no reason to keep an incompetent employees.
If you already know that an employee is incompetent at his or her job there is no sense in keeping that same individual on the job but rather than fire him and hire someone competent to do the job.

An employee who is incompetent does not deserve to work for anybody but himself alone because the incompetency is going to ruin every business that the person get into which is not good for the business owner.

If you already know that an employee is incompetent at his or her job there is no sense in keeping that same individual on the job but rather than fire him and hire someone competent to do the job.
That's exactly the point. I don't see a reason for keeping a incompetent employee. But before I fire them I will give them a second chance but if they still fail I then fire them. If it were you how will you react?

I think this is the reason why many organizations conduct more than one interview to filter out such kind of employees from their organization. I have been to such organization and I have applied at such organization. Luckily, I wasn't incompetent.

Incompetent business is a setback in any form of business,I think to make such type of people diligent is by giving them to change,and if they refused,the company has to take action on them.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds