Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you need to be an expert in your field to become a manager?

It doesn't necessarily mean you should be an expert before you become a manager but it is a good idea one should be an expert before you become a manager as that will guide you and make a smooth managerial work for the Manager

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't think so too. However I think it is important to be an expert at it, to understand what the job entails and how best to motivate and manage employees.

I understand that being an expert will give comparative advantage over others when you are applying for the job of becoming a manager in a company. But it should not be something that will prevent someone from applying when there is vacancy for the role.
Of course having the certificate or higher degree as a manager will always give you an advantage over others when it comes to the selection process. But you will have to justify your qualifications practically by leading the organization well.

Of course having the certificate or higher degree as a manager will always give you an advantage over others when it comes to the selection process. But you will have to justify your qualifications practically by leading the organization well.
it is very important to justify the qualification and this is the reason why someone needs to prepare very well. and it is good to consult those who have been in the position for a long time in order to tap from their experience.

In my experience, it was unfortunate that when our manager resigned, he was replaced by someone who does not know computers. Our department was "systems" with computer programmers, systems analysts and designers. The manager admitted his ignorance but he remained manager until I left the company after some years.

it is very important to justify the qualification and this is the reason why someone needs to prepare very well. and it is good to consult those who have been in the position for a long time in order to tap from their experience.
So in essence it is very important to acquire an added agree in order to be considered before others. No wonder many business executives still study to acquire more qualifications.

So in essence it is very important to acquire an added agree in order to be considered before others. No wonder many business executives still study to acquire more qualifications.
Qualification place important role in The corporate world. that is the reason why you see everyone I'm trying to acquire more certificate to the existing one they have. Everyone is trying to have an edge over others in case when the opportunity arise.

Qualification place important role in The corporate world. that is the reason why you see everyone I'm trying to acquire more certificate to the existing one they have. Everyone is trying to have an edge over others in case when the opportunity arise.
This is very true. Sometimes these qualifications really intimidate others. At times, it might serve as a source of inspiration to others to obtain the same degree.

You won't be able to manage anything when you are not an expert in what you are managing and even if you might be able to manage it out of ignorance then it might be risky because you may not be able to manage it perfectly as an expertise.. you are only advise to manage something you are perfect on

No, you don't need to become an expert in your field of study before you you become a manager , a good example is a B.science graduates becoming a principal of a school when the normal protocol is that, teavhing are meant for NCE graduates.

It usually depends on the level of manager. Often the first time a person is promoted they are given charge of a work area they have been working in, so they have experience in the work, but as you get promoted to larger and larger areas, there will be some, eventually maybe many areas of work under you that you have never worked in. This is a major challenge for people promoted higher and higher into management

It is good to have knowledge on the field you are working on, either practically or theorithically before becoming a manager but we are living in a world were there is internet and if you are ready to learn, you will be a good manager.

Yeah being an expert would be of great help but that's not necessarily the deciding quality, the qualities of a good manager isn't always about the job at hand even personal character would go a long way

The managerial expertise is actually learnt in school so it's not about you being an expert in your chosen field of career before you can become a manager it is a very technical role that is mostly learnt in school.
You know this can not actually be appointed to become the manager of your company because he will not have anything to offer when it comes to running the business smoothly.

It it is not necessary to become an expert before you can become a manager in a company but you need some experiences. You must have a good emotional intelligence to manage people in order to achieve productivity in the workplace.

Yes I do want to be an expert in my field but I believe in terms of business, is quite different from my field which I believe it requires academic training which I believe will takes some time to have it done.

A manager neede to be an expert in his or her field of expertise in order to become the manager of a certain organisation or he can learn about the business before taking over the mantle of leadership.

Most managers we see today are not even related to that field in terms of education or job skills but they are able to do very well, simply because they have good management skill in general.
This is actually something that is very common in my country to them because a lot of people are taking up series of job simply because they want to make money as a result of not having the available job that they are that supposed to do.

A manager does not really need to be an expert in his field but a great team leader someone can can lead a group of people is a perfect person to be a manager as experts might be to bossy for people to work with
Personally, I believe that if you happened to become a professional or an expert in the field where you eventually become the manager it is going to be an added advantage for you to do your work or perfectly than others.

There are certain traits and characteristics that a manager is supposed to have and exhibit,and not neccessarily be an expart in his field.Your capacity to manage human situation,cordination of processes, etc are some of the things needed.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds