Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you need to be an expert in your field to become a manager?

It is not necessary for a manager to be an expert in that sector. The person may execute the work as long as he or she has strong interpersonal and managerial abilities.

Advertisement Placeholder
I am still of the opinion that it is not necessary for one to be an expert in the field one wants to be a manager. This is because, just as already mentioned above, it is not all managers that are experts in where they are managing.

Yes it is absolutely necessary and it is not also advisable to start up the type of business you don't have a good understanding about because of risk of failure, you have to start the type of business that you have an understanding so you can manage the business on your own, this will help you to spot nonsense from thousand miles away.

Do you need to be an expert in your field to become a manager?

I don't think so, but it does help to have a pretty good knowledge in the area that you want to be a manager in.
I have seen many managers who effectively manage their businesses, whereas they did not undergo any formal education or skill.
You don't need to be an expert in your field before becoming a manager in that field. Just gather enough knowledge on business management!

I don't actually know what you meant by expert but what I do know is that you can't be the manager of a group of individuals in a line of business that you don't clearly understand. You need to have a great experience about how the system works for you to cope as a manager unless you are talking about the case of an entrepreneur

Managerial job is only for experts, it is not open to novice or for someone who does not have relevant skills or knowledge. You also need a lot of experience to become a manager.

I don't think you need a expert in your field,all you need is the idea and experience,you can be a expert but you won't run the field as is expected, all you need is experience.

If you want to be a good manager, of course you have to be a professional in that field. What kind of manager is,who is not respected by employees? Especially if the employees are realizing, that the manager is making bad decisions, as he has no clue about the respective business.

Not necessarily an expert , but must be qualified in that particular field , because you should know how to give decisions ,and obviously control other personell working for you

To become an expert in a business does not mean entrepreneur will become a manager.investments and commitment easily turns someone to Manager.

Majority of the employers would need to hire a kind of manager who is an expert in the field and they would not prefer to hire someone who is not an expert. They not only need an expert, but they also need a person who is much more experienced.

There is no way you would be able to make it as a business manager when you are not an expert on the job. In fact, it's one of the considerations behind making any a manager.

Just like you said, you don't really need to become an expert in a field before you can be a good manager. A good understanding of the business is enough to make a good manager.

You don't really need to become an expert in your field before you become a good manager. What matters is the managerial skills. Once you have the managerial capabilities, you could fit-in perfectly.

Not necessarily, if you are an expert I think it is an added advantage, managerial skills are somewhat different and you do not need to be an expert in the field.

i think almost all companies require you to be an expert and they demand that you have some sort of experience in your field, so being an expert is a requirement of many companies.

A manager can sometimes be call a director, and these are the people that have a good understanding of what they are doing ,probably without having a good understanding it may be impossible for you to be able to direct and lead your organisation perfectly.

i think almost all companies require you to be an expert and they demand that you have some sort of experience in your field, so being an expert is a requirement of many companies.
Well I guess in most companies if you were planning to be promoted to a managerial position you will need to show that you are the best, which essentially means an expert. However not all company operates like that.

Well I guess in most companies if you were planning to be promoted to a managerial position you will need to show that you are the best, which essentially means an expert. However not all company operates like that.

This is why I believe that Being a manager in a company is definitely not a bed of roses. managers get pressurized from people who are above him or her and this is why managers often pressurize lower level employees as a result.

Yeah sure, at the same time a manager is someone who can cumulatively manage an effective operation without issues. If that involves a little on the employees then sure.
This is why I believe that Being a manager in a company is not a bed of roses. managers get pressurized by people who are above him or her and this is why managers often pressurize lower-level employees as a result.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds