Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you need to be an expert in your field to become a manager?

The manager controls every business activities as a manager, you need to have a dept knowledge of a business before you will be able to run the business successfully.

Advertisement Placeholder
Yes! I'm of the opinion that I need to be skilled in my area of specialization to be able to be a Manager. I need to learn the norms and technicalities to be employed.

Becoming a manger depends on you. I cannot wake up one fateful morning and decides to run a company or enterprise without a better orientation on the business.

You must be an expert to be a good manager. You must know what you are managing, maybe you don't have the skill fine, but you must have the knowledge

Most managers we see today are not even related to that field in terms of education or job skills but they are able to do very well, simply because they have good management skill in general.

This is exactly what's applicable in my country Nigeria. I personally know a lot of people who are working in the banking sector and some are even managers now that never even studied banking and finance courses.

One thing about moving up the ladder of your chosen career is that how you improve and gain competence is by experience on the job,reason some employers usually go for experience personel.

no I don't think so,been an expert does not guaranteed you to become a successful manager , having the idea and experience will help you than been an expert ,no expert in business
[automerge]1634162958[/automerge]
no I don't think so,been an expert does not guaranteed you to become a successful manager , having the idea and experience will help you than been an expert ,no expert in business
[automerge]1634162976[/automerge]

This is exactly what's applicable in my country Nigeria. I personally know a lot of people who are working in the banking sector and some are even managers now that never even studied banking and finance courses.
LoL I am also from Nigeria, so I completely understand what you are talking about. It is really annoying, the most painful part is when they appoint people that know Notting about health to manage the health sector.

It's definitely important for a manager to have some knowledge on the particular field , but what's more important is the leadership and management skills required to become a manager , and working in group or a team , handling the pressure with strategies and plans to solve various problems.

You necessarily would not need to become an expert in your field of business or study to become a manager. But having the right knowledge on what you're going to become manager of is very important

Do you need to be an expert in your field to become a manager?

I don't think so, but it does help to have a pretty good knowledge in the area that you want to be a manager in.
I cannot manage a business which I have no level of expertise over.
So, I will say that one needs to be an expert in his or her field to become a manager.

It is not necessary you become an expert before you become a manager on your field. But it is good to have lot of experience in the business before you take the role of manager.

Last edited:
To my own personal belief management is so different from expertise you might be an expert but don't have the skill of managing people so you need to be managed.

Not really. Because if that's the case, then only few managers will be available but we have to possess the rudimentary skills and techniques needed to excel in the field.

there are some businesses that you need to achieve a level of expert before you can command authority from your immediate clients. An example of this is when you are running a business consultancy. Most of the clients will not accept mediocre business advice from you.

I don't think it is necessary that you must be expert in your field before you can become manager in your business, I think if you have experience you can go into it.

Manager is a responsible position, the position is for someone with a great knowledge, skills, and experience. Therefore, if you want to work as a manager, you need to first become a expert on the field.

Most of the time, you need to be competent in your current job so as to become manager. That is why they usually promote or hire managers according to the skills and experience that one has.

You do not need to be an expert in your field, asides understanding your field to a little extent, you need some indepth experience when it comes to management. An MBA will also be an added advantage, an MBA enables one to more strategic, analytic and provides him with better leadership skills.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds