Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Common Mistakes in Praising Employees

As for me I think the mistakes in praising employees is that when you over praising employees and make them doing something else to the extend they look at it that you won't do anything and doesn't take there work serious but I see no reason why they can't praise an employees because it's right and good praising employees for good work they doing or done
True, its good to praise your worker, but it should be for the right reasons and at the right time. They should also be aware of the reasons you praised them. Then again over praising is bad so we should be careful not to over praise our workers

Advertisement Placeholder
Trying to use praise to “fix” poor performance can breed resentment and de-motivation. Be candid when an employee isn’t meeting expectations so that your praise is meaningful when he does hit the mark.
Recognizing only success.Common Employee Recognition Mistakes to Avoid Employees who are praised for good decision-making turn out to be more likely to make bad decisions. Be mindful to also recognize employees for how they recover from missteps.
Using praise only to get results. Praise, when it appears to the “praisee” as a means to an end, can feel like a form of control. Here I like to make the distinction that recognition and acknowledgement can be more effective than a gold star or verbal reward.
Make no mistake, praise can be a powerful tool. Just be sure to apply it thoughtfully and meaningfully
[automerge]1622842267[/automerge]
Trying to use praise to “fix” poor performance can breed resentment and de-motivation. Be candid when an employee isn’t meeting expectations so that your praise is meaningful when he does hit the mark.
Recognizing only success.Common Employee Recognition Mistakes to Avoid Employees who are praised for good decision-making turn out to be more likely to make bad decisions. Be mindful to also recognize employees for how they recover from missteps.
Using praise only to get results. Praise, when it appears to the “praisee” as a means to an end, can feel like a form of control. Here I like to make the distinction that recognition and acknowledgement can be more effective than a gold star or verbal reward.
Make no mistake, praise can be a powerful tool. Just be sure to apply it thoughtfully and meaningfully

It's very good to give praise to an employee who is doing a good job with his or her duty, but the employee shouldn't take it for granted

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
While it is good to always recognize the efforts of some high flying employees in an organization and reward them, it is also important that it be done with wisdom. You don't place all the praises on just one employee and neglect the efforts of there no matter how little.

To some certain levels it's good to praise one when he did something good,I suggest praising employee whenever he did something good is a good decision so that it will enlighten him to continue doing the right thing

Although, it is a vital step to appraise employees for a job well done but should be done with caution to prevent bad blood within workers who may feel more entitled to the appraisal.

Although, it is a vital step to appraise employees for a job well done but should be done with caution to prevent bad blood within workers who may feel more entitled to the appraisal.
I really love the point that you mentioned. When praising employees it must be done with sense as it can create some form of grudges and enemies among the rest employees that are not well praised by their manager or employer.

I really love the point that you mentioned. When praising employees it must be done with sense as it can create some form of grudges and enemies among the rest employees that are not well praised by their manager or employer.
Thank you. It's common in different workplace to see jealousy and rift between not just employees but even in our environment so mangers would do best not to add to that.

I think praising your employee who has done a great job in your business or company, is very good and encouraging for their hard work.

As for me I think the mistakes in praising employees is that when you over praising employees and make them doing something else to the extend they look at it that you won't do anything and doesn't take there work serious but I see no reason why they can't praise an employees because it's right and good praising employees for good work they doing or done
It is good to acknowledge employees when they do good work but when you praise employees most times it makes them pompous and the misbehave and see their self as the only valued and most important treasure in the organisation

Words of praise even without any financial back up can be very motivating to employees . Nevertheless , those who are not doing well should be encouraged than blamed

When you praise an employee for an outstanding performance, it should be obvious to the rest of the staffs that that performance for which your staff is being praised for is actually outstanding and not just for the sake of praising him to avoid strife

When you praise an employee for an outstanding performance, it should be obvious to the rest of the staffs that that performance for which your staff is being praised for is actually outstanding and not just for the sake of praising him to avoid strife
Also there there may be some type of conflicts between employees. But if the manager is praising someone, that should not be taken as negative. others should try to improve their efficiency so that they can get the praising.

when you are not appreciating people for Their talented skill they are used in improving your business they might believe that their efforts is not appreciated and sometimes this set of people can leave your organisation to elsewhere in which what they have to offer is appreciated.

Thank you. It's common in different workplace to see jealousy and rift between not just employees but even in our environment so mangers would do best not to add to that.
It can be worst when the praised employees where not actually doing anything special than the upraised ones. I have seen cases where the manager praises a particular female staff while abusing others simply because he was making love advances to her.

It can be worst when the praised employees where not actually doing anything special than the upraised ones. I have seen cases where the manager praises a particular female staff while abusing others simply because he was making love advances to her.
Can you imagine that, unprofessional appraisal, stirring up conflict and rift between emoployees and a lot of mistakes just because of what isn't meant to be occuring in a workplace, business owners should really look into who manages the business.

The ability to manage employee performance well is a critical part of any successful organisation. Yet, too often, performance management is misunderstood or executed in a clumsy way that can actually harm employee engagement, motivation and, ultimately, performance. Here are the biggest mistakes I’ve seen companies of all sizes make time and time again.
I think reward for a good job done is ot actually a bad idea,but should be done in such a way that it would not bring inter-professional rivary among the employees.And also the performance reward scheme should be done in such a way that it would not be taken for granted to mean the employee is indispensible to the organisation.

To some certain levels it's good to praise one when he did something good,I suggest praising employee whenever he did something good is a good decision so that it will enlighten him to continue doing the right thing
I think the style of praising in private is more effective because it can project the sincerity. When our boss would praise me in front of my co-employees I always imagine that he would also do that if I made a big mistake. But when I receive a praise in private then it enters my heart, so to speak. That is a good motivating factor for me.

I probably think praising employees should serve as a motivation to them in order to work harder for the company because the company is probably recognizing their efforts.

Last edited:
I think the style of praising in private is more effective because it can project the sincerity. When our boss would praise me in front of my co-employees I always imagine that he would also do that if I made a big mistake. But when I receive a praise in private then it enters my heart, so to speak. That is a good motivating factor for me.
I think public appraisal is far better than private appraisal because it is not just for you but also for other members of the company to see that efforts are being appreciated.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds