Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Common Mistakes in Praising Employees

Giving everyone the same prize or honor lessens the significance of the gesture. Recognition should be both distinctive and individualized. Recognition should be given according to the type of excellence. Additionally, employees won't believe that the employee recognition program matters unless it is personalized.

Advertisement Placeholder
There's nothing bad in praising employee because any body that's working hard should be praised and encouraged so that they can keep up the good work , but some workers get it wrong but letting the praises get to their head ,

Actually sometimes it depends people are not the same simply because some will put more effort and motivated when they are praise while some feel reluctant of there good effort.

rather than praising them, compensate them with incentives and bonuses for excellent performance, it works better that way, praise can make them misbehave

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
Common mistakes employers make in praising employees include not providing specific constructive feedback, not recognizing employees for their efforts and not being consistent and fair in their praise. In addition, employers should avoid praising employees for things that are outside their control, and should avoid using praise as a way to manipulate employees into doing something. Furthermore, employers should be sure not to single out individuals for praise as this can lead to feelings of resentment and envy. Finally, employers should avoid using praise as a form of bribery or reward, as this can undermine the employee's intrinsic motivation

There's nothing bad in praising employee because any body that's working hard should be praised and encouraged so that they can keep up the good work , but some workers get it wrong but letting the praises get to their head ,

I think that there are many employees who want to get praised. Not all the employees start performing badly when they get praised by their bosses. In fact, some start performing even better.

Praise of employees can be a mistake since it can make them feel like they are the only source of strength for the work, which can lead to employee slackness and poor performance because there would be no work without them.

Praise of employees can be a mistake since it can make them feel like they are the only source of strength for the work, which can lead to employee slackness and poor performance because there would be no work without them.
Something employee need praising in order for them to realise how important what they are doing in the organisation , but to some workers , they takes it the wrong way .

Something employee need praising in order for them to realise how important what they are doing in the organisation , but to some workers , they takes it the wrong way .

We do need to praise employees sometimes. Otherwise, employees may think that their efforts are not being acknowledged or observed by the employers at all.

People are different. I praise my employees when they have done something really amazing and after a well done job.
That doesn't really mean that I have to overpraise them to a point that they start taking advantage , no! A responsible employees should understand that it is an expression of happiness and they shouldn't take advantage of that or feel too big.

Praising employees is great when they have done something good. It makes them feel seen and appreciated. But the same praise should also be declined when they do something wrong. That way, it will keep them at an equilibrium.

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
Lack of specificity in compliments from employers is one error they make. Although generalizations like "you're doing well" can be motivating, they don't go into clear terms on why the worker's job is valued. Employers also commit the error of not praising employees frequently and sufficiently.

As for me I think the mistakes in praising employees is that when you over praising employees and make them doing something else to the extend they look at it that you won't do anything and doesn't take there work serious but I see no reason why they can't praise an employees because it's right and good praising employees for good work they doing or done
I agree with you. There is nothing wrong in praising your employees but you should not overdo that. When you over to I, they may feel some level of relevance to your business and that can make them to behave in an awkward manner which may affect their performances.

This is an informative post and a manager or atleast someone hoping to be one should read through this although I don't understand the praise the talent and not the hard work part.

Praising employees is great when they have done something good. It makes them feel seen and appreciated. But the same praise should also be declined when they do something wrong. That way, it will keep them at an equilibrium.
The fact still remains that there's nothing bad in praising an employee for a job well done , but getting the wrong idea about it is the main issue , because some employee tend to keep behaving like they own the business .

The fact still remains that there's nothing bad in praising an employee for a job well done , but getting the wrong idea about it is the main issue , because some employee tend to keep behaving like they own the business .
Yeah, there is absolutely nothing wrong in praising employees for a job well done but at the same time there should be some level of boundary for everything. If you over praise your employees they may start feeling arrogant.

I don't think praising your employees is a mistake, but the mistake that a lot of people make is not knowing when to praise them and when not to.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds