Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Common Mistakes in Praising Employees

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
As an employee it gives me a boost in confidence when our leads or managers sees our good works and praises us about it, although it only lasts a while because I think, praising someone feels like neglecting someone else who have done the same job. I think it motivates me a little less when being singled out. I like collective praise where everyone gets to share the credit.

Advertisement Placeholder
There shouldn't be in anyway why an employer won't praise his employee, if I eventually becomes a boss today and my employee is doing well and working tirelessly and effortlessly I'm sure going to shower him or her with praise to enable him add more effort.

According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, we crave praise and recognition more than money.
Forget what you've heard about praise being for wimps. It's necessary if you're going to be an effective leader. You need to praise others, if you want your teams to achieve amazing results.

I don't believe its a mistake to praise an employee that is doing well for you. Its part of encouragement and helps them want to do better than they have done before. Thou am talking from experience, my personal one.

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
Another common mistake in praising the employee by the management or manager is to use one employee to condemn others which as a result demoralised the abilities in other. This can make them to feel undervalued and it will affect the free flow of work because envy and jealous will set in.

"Having you on the team makes a huge difference."

"You always find a way to get it done - and done well!"

"It's really admirable how you always see projects through from conception to completion."

"Thank you for always speaking up in team meetings and providing a unique perspective."

More items ...

There is nothing you can do about it. Some people are not intimated with words, but with action people fear. Have you heard of action speaks louder than words ? Unless you take action by reducing their salary or cut their working tasks or whatever you can to “harm” them; they will not give a damn..

Praising your employees isn't bad at all but praising them too much might be a little too much cause that is when pride comes in. They will feel they know too much and then the start to relent effort towards the work. They will think they are there and the won't put so much effort anymore.

It is very good and commendable to praise and employee when he performs well and also to rebuke him or her when they perform very poorly or go against the policies of your company. But make sure not to go to the extreme of both, either by praising or rebuking them, because it would have adverse negative effect.

In praising your employees,it should be done the right way. Praising your employees should be done in a fair way by awarding the best employee of the company a gift(it can be vacation,pay rise or pay check,that way other employees will not be envious.

It have many factors about it but some are like dont ever make employees your friends. Keep them in their limits so you could keep some pressure on them. Never trust them with money keep an eye on account and money transactions aftet that make a contract with them in which explain all terms and conditions so they can't create unwilling bad circumstances for you and your business.

Yes you are right a good employer or manager of a particular company should not blame employee unnecessarily without showing them what to do sometimes they may not actually know what could have been done at that particular time but they will keep on blaming other people.

The ability to handle staff is a very important role in business, to be frank, and that is why many business experts also encourage you to pursue special training on topics such as this. However, I love the points that you slept out and those are most of the common mistakes that employers make. Another one of these mistakes is not to take your employee seriously in terms of company decision-making.

I don't think there is any serious deal there is a business should Praise visit her representative for a job done the right way. Notwithstanding, that doesn't mean the worker also should now doing as though they know everything or now feeling better than give boss

I don't think is a bad ideas praising your employees, give praise to whom deserves the praises. You need to praise them when they do work that they are suppose todo. Praise on their talent so that they can do more of it.

Praising employee is one of the things that Is needed a boosting the morals of the employee to do better. Though in doing that should be with sincerity of mind not to get a gain. Appraisal in work place is a great motivation to get the work done. And I believe everyone need it for function well and so better.

Praising a hard-working and outstanding employees is a very good idea but shouldn't be used to abuse other employees but rather should be used to motivate and encourage them. This is the way to improve your business

it is always better for you to appreciate people that have done something extra-ordinary in your organisation sometimes they might have dedicated their time to make sure that they carry out a particular tax specially and you should not just slip it into the carpet. You need to show a little appreciation that you have seen what they have done.

As an employee it gives me a boost in confidence when our leads or managers sees our good works and praises us about it, although it only lasts a while because I think, praising someone feels like neglecting someone else who have done the same job. I think it motivates me a little less when being singled out. I like collective praise where everyone gets to share the credit.
If you work as a team work, praise should be given to the team not to individuals (like in football), so that others don't need to feel elevated, because without good cooperation they will not achieve the desired results.

If you compliment an employees on his education or position not on his tough will make the problems. An who is not working hard but he has the good educational degrees and one who has not the good educational degrees but he is employed hard and boss is praising the one who got degrees that will tough for the other one.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds