Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Why is it hard for an incompetent manager to resign willingly?

maventiger

Mythical member
Credits
Mangers are being hired by the employer who believed in their abilities. Not necessarily hired on the correct basis, or with an accurate view of their skills.
Hiring a manager who wasn't a good choice for the company was or one who lacks skills needed to manage the company. Having failed as a manager on many occasions makes it very obvious that he lacks the skill set to drive the company forward. His refusal to stay put on the job and not willingly considering resignation is what baffles me.

Advertisement Placeholder
It could be pride. An incompetent manager may find it difficult to resign willingly because he/she believes he is competent and sees nothing wrong with his management style. A proud person will never admit to their wrongs or mistakes.

Now, it's just like asking why is it difficult for me to stop eating when I bite my tongue?
I believe he or she wants to get better at the managing duties. But, come to think of it, where is he or she going to start from again after losing a juicy paying job?

Unwilling to resign from a position after failing to deliver on your mandate is itself a sign of incompetency. This is as a result of pride and arrogancy which are the characters of incompetent people.

A manager can be termed incompetent due to some reasons. The manager could be faulty, his team may be the cause of his incompetency, lack of managerial skills and so on. So to determine if he should resign seems to have much to do with if he (himself) isn't giving the right orders.

There are a lot of reasons incompetent manager had to resign willingly, at times it can be pride, many of them see themselves as the best and without them the company can fall,at times such manager see nothing wrong with his mistakes
[automerge]1613118344[/automerge]
There are a lot of reasons incompetent manager had to resign willingly, at times it can be pride, many of them see themselves as the best and without them the company can fall,at times such manager see nothing wrong with his mistakes

I think it is because an incompetent manager may not know what being a manager simply and fully entails. Hence the incompetence, he doesn't know much about the hardwork, effort and time and money investment that most be put in before the venture kicks off. He thinks it is all about enjoying the position of being a Manager, he knows only the enjoyment and doesn't want to get separateds from it.

Unwilling to resign from a position after failing to deliver on your mandate is itself a sign of incompetency. This is as a result of pride and arrogancy which are the characters of incompetent people.
@Roysnickz I see no reason why a manager should respect himself and be professional about tendering resignation in such a situation. The company management would respect him for acting in such a professional way.

Probably because they do not have any other thing to do that would generate money for them. Those kind of people are filled with pride and would lead to the general failure of the organization.

Most people who are incompetent most times don't agree that they are incompetent. They just feel they are capable in their respective role. You will know an incompetent manager from their outcome on the job. Nonetheless, suggesting a motion of resigning would only lead hatred from them. And they will like to prove to you who you need to keep them on the job.

I think it's about self esteem and the level of ethics the individual has. Some persons have resigned their post for something small or irrelevant. While others won't even bulge even if they have failed in their responsibilities. It all depends on the individual in question and how they handle those kind of personal failure.
[automerge]1613118559[/automerge]
I think it's about self esteem and the level of ethics the individual has. Some persons have resigned their post for something small or irrelevant. While others won't even bulge even if they have failed in their responsibilities. It all depends on the individual in question and how they handle those kind of personal failure.

Mangers are being hired by the employer who believed in their abilities. Not necessarily hired on the correct basis, or with an accurate view of their skills.
Hiring a manager who wasn't a good choice for the company was or one who lacks skills needed to manage the company. Having failed as a manager on many occasions makes it very obvious that he lacks the skill set to drive the company forward. His refusal to stay put on the job and not willingly considering resignation is what baffles me.

Not all incompetent manager knows they are not good at there job. Some of them know this but they would want to keep trying to make things right, but the mistake I feel majority of them normally make is that ,they keep using the same strategy over and over again. So now it is left for the CEO to take the right decition .

Before the manager became incompetent , they were manager initially with good vibes, most times they give them room for change, most times its believe that they have shares with the company. Some managers are intentionally liabilities but their stake in the company is high.

So you are asking why is it hard for anyone to allow his source of income to be forgone just anyhow without having another source to complement it? No reasonable manager will be ready to allow such to happen to him... Everyone will always want to guide their source of income.

It is only in Africa that you see incompetent people sitting on to of big positions, and most of them are captains of industries. It is only in Africa that people don't resign from their responsibilities even after making gross mistakes. You hardly see this attitude in the West.

The simple answer is greed and nothing more because that only logical. They don't admit that they are bad even when they know they are very bad. It is the same thing seen in leadership especially in African countries.

The title "Manager' or being referred to as manager is what most of them are after. They forget about the responsibilities involved and focus on just the name. If there are incompetent managers and they know they're not performing their duties, and still refuses to resign, then I think it is better the company "take the bull by the horn" and extend a sack letter to him.

The manager might not know that he is incompetent for the job. Probably he assumes every complaint made about his decision or work is made out of jealousy. Some will not resign because they do not have any other source of income.

Some of the most common reasons I’ve heard during my 20 years of organizational consulting and coaching include
  • I really like my job/colleagues/commute.
  • I need the salary. I can’t afford to take a pay cut.
  • There aren’t any other jobs that would be better.
  • I don’t want to lose the benefits.
  • I’ve invested too much to start over in a new organization.
  • This job pays too well to leave.
  • I don’t have the skills to get a different job.

It could be pride, greed or selfish motives . Managers are hired to control a particular district so if he refuses to retire after being told to he can as well be forced out. Is or her incompetency has made him lazy and it's not good for business

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds