Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.
It is not good for employees to pay for damage of equipment in an organisation about I know some organisations that the ex-employee to replace damaged equipment which is not right.

Advertisement Placeholder
I understand what you're saying if I'm in the position of making such costly mistake. They should sack me when it is detrimental to the company's growth. Intricate mistake can cost one his job, that's why we ought to be careful in life.
Hmmmm,its hard to says sack, well this is the most difficult decision, at least we should just be a little bit passionate , in fact the best way is for us to be careful in whatever business organisation we are working for.

Hmmmm,its hard to says sack, well this is the most difficult decision, at least we should just be a little bit passionate , in fact the best way is for us to be careful in whatever business organisation we are working for.
Your last sentence defines it all. In order to avoid such kind of hash call we shouldn't be careless, we should avoid anything that will make us falter in our working place.

There are certain companies and organizations where the employees that caused a damage of property or something is been made to pay for it without doubt. In some organizations however, the employees are not made to pay for damages

It all depends on the worth of damage , if the damage are way too much , that my business cannot cover up I think I might not be able to pay that and he or she might pay that , and also what led or reason for the damage I will take note too

It all depends on the worth of damage , if the damage are way too much , that my business cannot cover up I think I might not be able to pay that and he or she might pay that , and also what led or reason for the damage I will take note too
But no matter what may be the reason, if some damage has been occured unintentionally by the customer, then that should be compensated by the business only. That will help the business to get more positive view from the customers.

That being said, you cannot force an employee to cover the cost of damage to company property by making a deduction from their wage.

I my offline business I don't allow my staffs to pay for damage but I always issue a warming when the damages from a particular staff becomes consistent. I take damages that occur to my equipment as one of the business risk

But no matter what may be the reason, if some damage has been occured unintentionally by the customer, then that should be compensated by the business only. That will help the business to get more positive view from the customers.
It would but most times the damage could be too much that it might weaken the business financially or even make it bankrupt , so the person have no option than to just tell him or her to pay

Paying for damages simply means making the employee pay for losses incurred by the employee's fault. Personally I think employees should pay for damages. However, it should be restricted to damages they caused due to their own negligence. This is because some damages can sometimes be unavoidable.

Its inevitable for staff not to cause damages..accidents happen...so in my case, I will do an investigation and if its not intentional, I will let it slide

It would but most times the damage could be too much that it might weaken the business financially or even make it bankrupt , so the person have no option than to just tell him or her to pay
So if you think that any such kind of damage can alter the business, does the individual has the capability to repay the amount? I mean if it's unintentionally done, then the customer has nothing to do with that.

So if you think that any such kind of damage can alter the business, does the individual has the capability to repay the amount? I mean if it's unintentionally done, then the customer has nothing to do with that.
I don't really get the statement , or do you mean the individual might not have the capability to repay the damages because of its more going to weaken the business very well

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.
This is what I was telling one of a fellow workers when a similar case happened at my workplace. I told him to let us approach the manager to iron things out but he was hell-bent on replacing the equipment with his own money.

If it happened to be an accident sure. But if it's something that continues to happen, I would consider charging them some kind of fee. One accident here and there is no biggie, but if it continues often, then it may result in just me firing the person.

even though it is important that employees are careful with the way they handle things but that does not mean that they should pay for damages.

even though it is important that employees are careful with the way they handle things but that does not mean that they should pay for damages.
There are damages that emoyee should pay because of the cause of the event. If it is a damage caused by carelessness , then he needs to learn his lesson by paying for it.

There are damages that emoyee should pay because of the cause of the event. If it is a damage caused by carelessness , then he needs to learn his lesson by paying for it.
How can you tell that without even knowing the situation? I mean, if customer unintentionally created any damage, then why should a customer will pay the money? if the amount is not that huge, the business should compensate for the damage.

Exactly, if it is caused by carelessness, then the employee should pay for it but if it is by accident then I don't see any reason for payment.

I dont think its right for employees to pay for damages. As far as i know this song act can weaken the motivation of the employee and can make them be unproductive to the company.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds