Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

Well, I think it depends on the type of workplace. Imagine an employee breaking something that cost the company millions. Would you leave the employee or ask the employee to refund??. I think I would go for the latter.

Advertisement Placeholder
It depends on the rules and regulations guiding the business and what the employee damaged at work. If it is as a result of negligent on the part of the employees he can be asked to pay for what he or she damaged at work.

Carefulness isn't an excuse, its said to be observed by the employees, and stay away from it. when the employees damages something that is worth more, the salary should be deducted.

No, not equipment provided by the company. It’s common for equipment to get damaged over time anyway. But if a worker comes to someone’s house and damages something, then the homeowner should not have to pay.
Refrigerator guy came to fix our fridge and broke a part near the ice tray and charged my mom for it. And she paid for it. I was like Mom WHAT are you doing?? This guy totally snowed you.

Carefulness isn't an excuse, its said to be observed by the employees, and stay away from it. when the employees damages something that is worth more, the salary should be deducted.
No matter how you are careful ,you are likely to make mistake because mistake sometimes do not happen because of lack of carefulness ,it could be as a result of inexperience or any other thing, do you really think this is the best option to deduct their salary ?

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or act of negligence
It is a generally accepted principle that if an employee should break or damage and office equipment mistakenly for the first time that employers should not be required to replace that equipment because it is a mistake but it in a situation whereby the employee kept on doing it for a long time then that employee should be made to replace any damage equipment that he has done.

The cost of damages should be deducted from employees monthly salary. I see nothing bad in it. I mean everyone should be responsible for each of their actions either intentional or by mistakes .
I didn't agree with you here, there are things that need to be considered mistake happen and even you yourself can make that mistake, but if it was because of carelessness then the amount will deducted.

No matter how you are careful ,you are likely to make mistake because mistake sometimes do not happen because of lack of carefulness ,it could be as a result of inexperience or any other thing, do you really think this is the best option to deduct their salary ?
Hmm, your question is a technical one indeed. If its a terrible mistake that cist our business losing plenty i wouldn't mind axing the employee. But if its a forgivable one, I'll forgive and not deduct the salary.

Hmm, your question is a technical one indeed. If its a terrible mistake that cist our business losing plenty i wouldn't mind axing the employee. But if its a forgivable one, I'll forgive and not deduct the salary.
This has happened before in a company I'm aware of,the employee damage an electronic device worth $200, the company didn't do anything than to suspend the employee and up till now they have not tAken her back.

I believe most companies are registered with insurance so insurance should cover the cost, but if insurance can't then the company should hear it if it's the employee first time

If employees willfully destroy the company's assets, the employer can certainly take action against them. Of course, it would always depend on the circumstances and whether the employee acted appropriately or negligently.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
Paying for damages in the company depends on the level of the company, some company are stickingly rich to the extent that they don't care if anything got damaged , but in some up coming business , you have to be responsible for what you destroy.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.
It is not right for employees to pay for damage but I always ask sometimes some organisation is really private organisation they asked employee to pay for damage equipment if they eventually found wanting

If the employ is making a mistake for the first time, I think he or she should not be made to pay for the damages. However, if he is repeating the mistake he should be made liable.

A small business can go bankrupt when a damage occurs in their product. Take the case of the big Chinese jars that are so expensive. When a staff would damage that product the cost of damage can be even more than 6 months salary of the staff.
Okay a situation in which a staff or an employee damage one of the most expensive product in a particular business organisation ,what is the thing that should be done ,do you think it is better for you to forget about it or you are arrest the person with the police ?

This has happened before in a company I'm aware of,the employee damage an electronic device worth $200, the company didn't do anything than to suspend the employee and up till now they have not tAken her back.
You see, that's why i say a single mistake due to carelessness can cause one losing his or her job. We ought to be watchful, careful not to damage any property in our working place.

You see, that's why i say a single mistake due to carelessness can cause one losing his or her job. We ought to be watchful, careful not to damage any property in our working place.
She was working in the hospital and she damage an expensive electronic transmitter that is used in receiving information from a patient's room, she was washing and she unknowingly merge the electronic device inside a water.

She was working in the hospital and she damage an expensive electronic transmitter that is used in receiving information from a patient's room, she was washing and she unknowingly merge the electronic device inside a water.
Hmm, that's a costly mistake, she even merge it, making it worst for her. I'm not the company who took such decision on her, they don't tolerate such level of carelessness that's why they ousted her.

If an employee breaks or damages my property, I am definitely taking the cost of repair off his salary. I cannot be paying an employee and still pay for some thing he damaged. When employees start paying for their damages they will be more careful next time.
I think you're one of those Berry Strict business owners who don't take any shit but I would always advise people like you to have some kind of empathy for those that are working for you because they do not have the resources that you have so you should be be able to forgive an employee that damage any of the work tools for the first time but when he or she does it again I think none of them will blame you for taking the money for the damages of that tools from their salary because they know that they deserve it.

There are some employment contracts that clearly states what the outcome of such incident will be. So it depends on the organization rule books

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds