Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Should Employee pay for damages?

Paying for damages by employees; it's in two ways. What was the companies rules and regulations before the employee started working with the company? Was the damage careless or intentional? There must be a thorough investigation to decide it.

Advertisement Placeholder
If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.

The question is did you provide such law in their appointment letters. If it is situated and they agreed to it, when employee damage company equipment, they are liable to pay for such damages or some kind of penalty should be given. But if such rule was not indicated during the time of employment, then it is 50-50, you both share the loss and pay for the Damage's..
Nice question asked here. If it is well spelt in the agreement letter or contract signed that employees will be responsible for any damages caused by them then, employees should be held responsible for any damage they caused not the company.

Damages of finished goods always bring losses to the business owner and most businesses owner always frown at it and make it compulsory for their employees to pay for their mistake even if it was not done by all of them. I have been a victim and this is not a pleasant experience.

Generally, an employee should bit pay damages. This is because most times they are working with your instructions. However, they should be liable for damages if they are careless or deliberately doing acts that put the business in jeopardy.

It depends on what was stated at terms of employment. there are some companies or businesses that will openly state it as the terms and conditions of employment, if that be the case any employee who causes any damage to it's company must definitely have to pay without being told to do so.

The are actually a lot of ways to which we can even prevent all this disputes to be honest. As an employee if you have a lot of expensive hardware you should come up with safe regulations that allow for their replacement she damages right from employment.

Some times the damage depends on it level if it is intentional then I can not consider it as negligent but If otherwise then it is not to be paid by the employees because accident is inevitable.

Asking your employees to pay for damages depends on the rules and regulations that exists in the business. If it is the custom of employees to pay for damages, I see no reason why employees will not want to pay for damages. If it is minor damages, the company can overlooked it and pardon the employee.

I think if the employee mistakenly damage the company equipment them should never require he/her to pay back the damage instead the company should find way to replace it.

Any accident that happens knowingly by the customer can't be accepted by the shop owner. That will be an unwise to even think about return by the customer.

Employee are not supposed to pay for damages but had to be query for damages, but when it persist employer can deduct their salary for damages.

An employee should not pay for damages because he is working for the company. any company that imposes such rules will simply be seen as a bad company.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?

It actually depends. If the employee did accidentally damage the property of my business, I would not actually charge him or fine him. However, if I find out that the employee did it on purpose, then I may warn him. If he still tries to damage the property, then I may fine him. I do not believe in firing people.

As a business owner when an employee damages a property of the company in cause of his duty and is not as a result of carelessness,then you should not put the damages on the employee.But a proper measure shoul be put in place to avoid repeat.But when it has become a recurent action,then a strict measure should be enforce.

We all know that accident happens, if an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, will you require him to pay for replacement equipment? Some workers may purposely damage equipment, or out of gross negligence. Since you may not actually know if the damage is done on purpose or not, will you allow them pay for the damages be it on purpose or accidentally?
It generally depend upon what is your reputation in your company. If you have good reputation, then for small mistakes your boss can leave you with just warning, but habitual offenders will be dealt severly. Even get fired from the job.

If there has been deliberate or wilful damage to property or gross negligence that can result in substantial loss or damage to the employer’s property, it may be considered an act of gross misconduct. If, on completion of the investigation and the disciplinary procedure, the employer is reasonably satisfied that gross misconduct has occurred, this can result in dismissal without notice or payment in lieu of notice.

If an employee accidentally breaks or damages equipment, you cannot require him to pay for replacement equipment. Accidents happen. The damage must be treated as a business expense. You can only require an employee to pay for damaged equipment, if the damage is done on purpose or because of gross negligence.
The intention is what really matters in any thing apart from a workplace or even about life, so if the action was done intentionally, then sanctions should follow.

This is something you have to think carefully before implementing because it involves a lot of things to take into consideration and won't be fair to just bundle it on them

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds