Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is there any point in renewing a xF licence?

Al

Get Boosted
Bronze Member
Credits
I have two expired xenForo licences. They expired way back in 2021. The licence page states:

"Your period of support and updates for license xxxxxxxxxx has now expired. To gain access to new versions and support, you must purchase an extension."

However, the system allowed me to download version 2.2.5; the latest version. Seeing as I doubt I'll ever need to ask for support on the official forum seeing as there are so many resources for support elsewhere, is there any point in renewing?

I am at the moment in the process of getting the funds together to renew my license but I was unaware you could download the latest version without needing to renew the licence.

I myself do like to have access to the support forums incase I do need any support in the future just as I have done in the past but I guess if they allow you to download the newer updates and you do not need the support, it is something you could do without paying for.

Well, from 2.2.5 to 2.2.13 there's numerous fixes and security updates. Here's a list:

Some of the changes in XF 2.2.6 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.7 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.8 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.9 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.10 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.12 include:
Some of the changes in XF 2.2.13 include:

So I would advice, it's definitely worth renewing. ;)

I think it's certainly worth renewing when you get the chance. With all the features that have rolled out since it's crucial to have the most up to date version of any software you're using when it comes to websites. Security updates are important, you wouldn't want someone to try and hack your website after all.

Ahh. 2.2.5 is not the latest version; just the last version I can download. That makes a little more sense. I assumed 2.2.5 was the latest. Standing down in full embarrassment mode!

Ahh. 2.2.5 is not the latest version; just the last version I can download. That makes a little more sense. I assumed 2.2.5 was the latest. Standing down in full embarrassment mode!
That’s okay Al. That’s why we are here for. 😀

It's worth upgrading... especially if you are running some 3rd party add-ons... their updates can frequently REQUIRE a newer version of XenForo.
It's one of the reasons I renewed my license on my primary site, and then later renewed it on another "play" site and moved it from SMF 2.1.4 (no, it's not an officially supported migration and I had to edit their import script).

Personally now... If I need support, it's going to be via ticket. Your "community support" over on the XF site depends on a few individuals that are active - and the majority of those are not XF staff/developers. I'm planning on cutting back on the forum support I've given over there over the years.

Now, if you are asking about upgrading to get any "major" end user benefit... not much meat there. Most of it was bug fixes and stuff to make it easier on the admin.

I like renewing (when I can) to acquire updates. Also, I get t a year of support in case something happens I can't fix!

Also, I get t a year of support in case something happens I can't fix!
Problem is... ALL you are guaranteed is that they will help fix the "core offerings".... not interactions from 3rd party add-ons, styles or similar.
Just like their "upgrade service" clearly tells you
If you would rather have someone else perform your version upgrade, a XenForo representative will do it for you, provided your hosting environment meets the requirements. XenForo staff will not apply updates to unofficial add-ons or other customized elements. If your period of support and updates has expired, you must also purchase a one year extension to gain access to the latest version.
Their support is on the same basis.

Problem is... ALL you are guaranteed is that they will help fix the "core offerings".... not interactions from 3rd party add-ons, styles or similar.

Their support is on the same basis.
That’s true. The moment you hit on a server error that’s from a 3rd party, they direct you to them. Which is of course normal imo.

I have no issue with that. :)

I have no issue with that. :)
Neither do I... that's why I rarely renew my license as in 11 years, I've entered exactly 13 tickets and only 3 of them were for support, 3 were for transfers of one type or another and the others were notifying them of issues that I had found that they may get asked about from others (like a 3 month Authy process I dealt with).

Same with IPB, Once you have an expired licence with IPB
  1. You won't get any support via the Forum of clients
  2. No updates when they release an update
  3. Their IPB security system and defence system will be unavailable to you
  4. Some of the add-ons third-party won't be available and if there is an IPB update most add-ons would move up with the updates and not down.
With IPB pretty much have no option, ;P

Neither do I... that's why I rarely renew my license as in 11 years, I've entered exactly 13 tickets and only 3 of them were for support, 3 were for transfers of one type or another and the others were notifying them of issues that I had found that they may get asked about from others (like a 3 month Authy process I dealt with).
I don't think I'd wait 11 years. lol A lot of times security patches will be released, or major new versions with new features. I'd renew then!

Same with IPB, Once you have an expired licence with IPB
  1. You won't get any support via the Forum of clients
  2. No updates when they release an update
  3. Their IPB security system and defence system will be unavailable to you
  4. Some of the add-ons third-party won't be available and if there is an IPB update most add-ons would move up with the updates and not down.
With IPB pretty much have no option, ;P
I haven't used IPB since like 2006! I went to VB since IPB was telling me I couldn't even keep my forum going without payment, if I remember correctly....

I don't think I'd wait 11 years. lol A lot of times security patches will be released, or major new versions with new features. I'd renew then!
At first... I renewed yearly. The last 3-4 years, I ONLY renewed once because I wanted to use the latest of Bob's XenAddons offerings. If it wasn't for that... I'd still be waiting to see what XF 2.3 brings to the table.

The development cycle of Xenforo doesn't encourage regular renewals. As others have pointed out, there are years between major releases.

You also don't need to buy a new Xenforo license. You can purchase one from another.

This entire business model made sense 15 years ago when there was booming and growing market, and where there were so many new licenses, it would subsidize lapsed licenses. But I question the business model today.

I'm not saying that I like it as a consumer. But I'm going to be curious to see how the legacy majors like WBB and XF adjust their pricing plans.

But I'm going to be curious to see how the legacy majors like WBB and XF adjust their pricing plans.
I think if XF would get on a "regular release cycle" like they have discussed, and those releases have actual end-user improvements... they will be better placed to have folks renewing.... the lackadaisical attitude they've down towards improving the script for end users and the concentration on making it "easier" for 3rd party developers is more an issue... a LOT of admins really don't care about the 3rd party environment and are more concerned with what the script itself allows them to offer their users.
With WoltLab... they have their own fanatical user base, but it just happens to be heavily German concentric from my past exposure.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor