Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is phpBB Slowly dieing?

xXInfectedXx

Renowned member
Credits
Is phpBB Slowly dieing?​

In my opinion, yes phpBB is slowly dieing. I don't really know why it is. People prefer other forum software like myBB and others. I think they like the layout + styles it has to offer. What do you think about this, Is phpBB Slowly dieing? Ill be interested to know your experience with phpBB.

Advertisement Placeholder
No, it's not. PhpBB is still one of the best free softwares. It's probably 2nd, right behind MyBB. The security is still something MyBB can't beat.

It will start to die when they can't improve it anymore or the new update is bad :)

I do not think it is. I rather like this software, it has so many different themes which make it look stylish and professional!

phpBB is one of the top dogs of free forum software, and it is definitely not dying. It seems like more people prefer MyBB, but it has been that way for as long as I can remember. MyBB and phpBB are still practically interchangeable in terms of being #1, and even if you prefer MyBB, phpBB is still guaranteed to comfortably be sitting in second. Also, phpBB 3.1 is pretty nice. People seem to like the notifications. If you're accustomed to XenForo, then that's old news. As far as free forum software goes, notifications are kind of a big deal. With all of this being said, phpBB is still relevant, and you shouldn't write them off any time soon.

Regarding if it is dying, I believe it is still going as strong as ever! They may be slow on getting out minor features and updates, but they are the best when it comes to having great security, since if you use the proper MODS and features that is available, you can do pretty good at keeping out spam bots.

Nope. It's never going to die. It's an amazing forum software that is going to keep growing.

In my opnion, no forum software is going to die thanks to the free forumhost sites.
phpBB is being used on active forums like forumpromotion and is a good MyBB alternative.

In my opnion, no forum software is going to die thanks to the free forumhost sites.
phpBB is being used on active forums like forumpromotion and is a good MyBB alternative.

That's true. I don't see a point in time where free forums hosts like Forumotion and prophpBB will stop offering phpBB. Nor are these two popular hosts showing signs of letting up in popularity. Worse case scenario, they keep phpBB going even if the developers disappear. :yum:

I really hope not as I just started my forum with that CMS, and i already think that their is very little working extensions for it, hoping for some more in the near future.

I would not say that it is dieing, I just think it's not as fully "supported" or developed as you would think. I think for me, there is a lack of "good" free themes for phpBB which is I think the main reason many people flock to MyBB.

Regarding if it is dying, I believe it is still going as strong as ever! They may be slow on getting out minor features and updates, but they are the best when it comes to having great security, since if you use the proper MODS and features that is available, you can do pretty good at keeping out spam bots.

Hello @Joshua Farrell, and everyone reading this thread,

Could anyone provide more input about PhpBB being "the best when it comes to having great security"? Have the the MODS mentioned in the above quote been updated to the most current stable releases of PhpBB? What would those MODS be that would help secure a fresh install of PhpBB for a completely new forum right now?

I discovered that the current stable release of MyBB integrates within its core what used to be considered one of the best antispam plug-in there was. Should PhpBB still be considered the best? If so why? If not, why?

I don't think that PhpBB will ever go away. It's still a great forum software. I have seen many forums switch from PhpBB to XenForo lately though. It may not be as popular as it once was, but it's not going anywhere in my opinion.

I am a big fan of mybb. So, my opinion might be a bit biased. I believe almost everything offered by phpBB is being offered in mybb as well. The new development of mybb 20 is just awesome.
So, may be because of these things, people are moving from phpbb to mybb. No, I like that phpbb has an option 'select all' to select the code or something else. This is not available in mbb or xenforo. I am not familiar with vb.
Many popular forums like mobilism and such, still uses phpbb though. So, I don't think phpbb would die completely. The popularity might decrease, but there are many people out there, who would use phpbb no matter what.

I joined the present forum about 18 months ago because I was trying to figure out which free forum software would best suit my needs. I finally opted for PhpBB and I grew to like it a lot. Although most reviews ranked it as more difficult to learn than other free forum software, but once I finally understood the logical logical structure it operated from, it turned out to be no more difficult than any of the other I had tried, and it became my preferred choice.

That being said, some of the factors that had me to choose PhpBB rather than MyBB had more to do with my own technical set up than with the software itself. There were key security options that I found easier to set up in my context through PhpBB. I say in my context, because at some point there appeared to be a technical conflict between the platforms laying behind my setup and the MyBB install I had been operating from.

XenForo is a choice I would consider if I decided to go for a paying forum software. I like the ease with which you can provide feedback.

I do feel Phpbb is dying I haven't seen new updates on the software although I heard they are making a Phpbb3 3.2 soon but I don't when it will come out maybe next year or so

phpBB appears to have a few appealing free themes now. Also, with the exception of having no point mod, it seems to have quite a bit of do-dads. Anyway, the point mod would top it off and make it a real powerful challenger, but nobody has stepped up to develop a free version, nor a paid version.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds