Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Best default forum theme

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.
IPB or even XF in terms of the main two that I always loved using :)

With IPB default you can still play around with the coding and change/edit so that it looks different but it's from a default theme.

In your opinion, which forum script has the best default design? And which one is your personal favorite? XenForo, MyBB, vBulletin, IP.Board, phpBB, etc.

I have always like the IPB ones more than any other forum script.
I would have to agree Invision Board does have one of the cleanest designs. The only bad thing about their design is the code.. I can't get the darn navbars separated or make a dropdown without having to buy a plugin for it.

I would have to say these 3, in this order:
  1. XenForo, its very customizable in ACP
  2. IPS (though I'll likely never use it since crazy $500 initial price crazy for hobby site that doesn't make money. [page builder is nice, wish XF had a similar page builder])
  3. SMF - It's what I started with, since its free. But its updates are pretty slow as of the last 5+ years it seems.

The new ZetaBoards default theme that was being worked on was nearing completion before the TT takeover. It's a shame it never was released as it was an amazing theme. Similar colkours as the old one (orange/blue) but more modern. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots.

I'm fairly certain it was made available on the support forum for a few weeks before it converted.

The new ZetaBoards default theme that was being worked on was nearing completion before the TT takeover. It's a shame it never was released as it was an amazing theme. Similar colkours as the old one (orange/blue) but more modern. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots.

I'm fairly certain it was made available on the support forum for a few weeks before it converted.
I remember it being worked on. Would be nice to see some screenshots. :)

The default MyBB theme is very appealing. I don't know why nobody has mentioned it. Anyway, it's drawback is lack of mobile compatibility, but it's very modern looking on a PC.

Of the current iteration of platforms, I'm kinda eh about all of them. I think XF 1.x was more opinionated and had a point of view in a way 2.x's doesn't and that doesn't do it favours. IPB is *fine* I guess but it doesn't wow me. They're all functional but.... that's it really.

And here nearly a year later, I remain just as meh about all of them.

And here nearly a year later, I remain just as meh about all of them.
It's worth taking a look at Invision Community v5, the new default theme is next generation.

It looks like the v4 theme with a few visual flourishes. Though I'll admit the editor should help people *make it not that*.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest