Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Best default forum theme

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
In your opinion, which forum script has the best default design? And which one is your personal favorite? XenForo, MyBB, vBulletin, IP.Board, phpBB, etc.

I have always like the IPB ones more than any other forum script.

My Eyes Pain GIF

In all seriousness though, it's a pretty neat concept. Just not exactly updated for modern sensibilities. It does have a responsive mode though.

I'm going to be that guy and say that I miss SMF 1.1's default theme before curves and gradients were everywhere. It was simple, it was elegant, it was classy - and yes, it was a product of its time, but I still miss it.

https://smfthemedemos.levertine.org/index.php?media/item/core.3/ in case anyone doesn't remember/hasn't seen it. I also miss the default theme Wedge had at once stage during its development but since that wasn't released and the theme changed afterwards, it's hard to say. Lost in time, like tears in rain.

Of the current iteration of platforms, I'm kinda eh about all of them. I think XF 1.x was more opinionated and had a point of view in a way 2.x's doesn't and that doesn't do it favours. IPB is *fine* I guess but it doesn't wow me. They're all functional but.... that's it really.

I'm going to be that guy and say that I miss SMF 1.1's default theme before curves and gradients were everywhere. It was simple, it was elegant, it was classy - and yes, it was a product of its time, but I still miss it.

https://smfthemedemos.levertine.org/index.php?media/item/core.3/ in case anyone doesn't remember/hasn't seen it. I also miss the default theme Wedge had at once stage during its development but since that wasn't released and the theme changed afterwards, it's hard to say. Lost in time, like tears in rain.

Of the current iteration of platforms, I'm kinda eh about all of them. I think XF 1.x was more opinionated and had a point of view in a way 2.x's doesn't and that doesn't do it favours. IPB is *fine* I guess but it doesn't wow me. They're all functional but.... that's it really.
That default SMF theme brings me back. I actually miss that kind of style. Everyone had their own take on it and every product had its own distinct look.

I actually like this, haha. But my design sensibilities are firmly rooted in the 2000s.

I loved the Babylon theme (https://smfthemedemos.levertine.org/index.php?media/item/babylon.2/). I miss it so much.

Anyway I think we peaked at IPB 2.x. I was always more of a fan of vBulletin, but dang this style screams.
Invision-Power-Board-1412.png

IPS I think has the best out of the box default theme because the layout and color scheme can be used for many forums.

While XF is my favorite software, I’m not a fan of the default theme.

I’m not really sure what is, I just feel that IPS has a more professional feel out of the box.

Last edited:
Hands down I have to say that Simple Machines forum has the best default forum theme now. I never really cared for the default theme on previous versions though.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor