Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is it wrong for your boss to be your friend?

There is nothing bad in being friends with the boss. The most important thing is that you as an employee should not cross the line by taking for granted the fact that although he is your friend, he is also your boss especially in the workplace.
@Niftyyem most employee find it very hard to draw the line between professional relationships especially with the boss. Personally, I frown at unhealthy relationship of any form at the workplace and as such professional relationship should be maintained at all times.

Advertisement Placeholder
To me I feel a boss being your friend actually doesn't mean anything thing so far as there is no strings attached
Infact this even helps in building good relationship between them and allows the employee to be more efficient, effective and more productive

@Niftyyem most employee find it very hard to draw the line between professional relationships especially with the boss. Personally, I frown at unhealthy relationship of any form at the workplace and as such professional relationship should be maintained at all times.
I do get your point and I also believe that the workplace should maintain a professional atmosphere but in situations where the friendship existed before the working relationship started, I think that the employee should do his best not to put the boss in an uncomfortable position.

That's an excellent question.
For me, it depends on gender. If my workers are girls, then I can't make them really friends because by time emotions will influent you so much so only talk with them when it needs to talk however if the workers are boys then you can select who deserve and make him as his your friend to share with him your problems and let him motivated in your company.

In my last job as a chef/cook I got on really well with my boss but I think that was because I never wanted her job, I was happy to work under her. She did tell me off from time to time and I respected her so would always take note of her criticisms and make an effort to do better.

We are both retired now and really good friends so I guess it's possible to be friends with your boss but at the same time never overstep the mark and understand he/she is in charge.

You can be friends with your boss. However, you have to draw a line between such friendship. Sometimes the friendship may lead to something else, which can then interfere with the the production or output in the working or business environment. So my advice is that the friendship should not be more than the ordinary.

From my point of view, it is not wrong for your boss to become your manager. When it comes to business matters we put friendship aside and work base on professionalism and not working with emotions, if this can be achieved, then their is nothing wrong with your boss being your friend.

From my previous experiences, I see nothing wrong with someone getting close to his or her boss. But while doing that be mindful and ensure to set boundaries to regulate the boundaries. Lastly your closeness should not replace your Respect for your boss.
[automerge]1617957394[/automerge]
From my previous experiences, I see nothing wrong with someone getting close to his or her boss. But while doing that be mindful and ensure to set boundaries to regulate the boundaries. Lastly your closeness should not replace your Respect for your boss.

I would in fact say that it is important that a boss have a certain level of friendship with his employees as a friendly envirinment has proven to be effective in boosting output in business organization.

If in the position of a business owner or a superior officer, I do need to be friendly with my workers or staff. This is in a bid to help gain the needful from my staff. BUT, the friendship must not exceed a certain point or level where we would become to familiar and bring about some unnecessary familiarity.

Respect and trust, the foundations of friendship, bosses abound in healthy employee relationships. These features can be very useful for the boss, the employee, and the workplace in general. So yes, you can befriend your boss. ... Even in the closest relationships, you will need to set boundaries.

OK
As the business owner, I don’t have to become friends with someone I might have to fire. Not because it’s a thing I derive joy in sacking an employee but because my position demands making tough decisions. I wouldn’t want some feelings cross my line of duty especially when making business related decisions.

What are your views?
Hmm... In this context the friendship is not the dictionary friendship i presume it will just be a close relationship of understanding. You can't because of though decision not be humble enough to hear what your employee have to say, someone there idea is far better than yours. Its your relationship that will encourage the employee to be boss enough to being it out....

It would not be a bad idea for a boss to be friendly with employees,but that does't mean it should be taken for granted and the work will suffer,as when it comes to do with discipline and ethics on the organisations rules it should not be compromise for who is you favorate.

Concerning if it is wrong for your boss to be your friend. Well, I believe there is a level of relationship or friendship that must be generated and maintained by a boss to his employees to keep maintain conducive and effective environment. Been a friend to your boss doesn't mean that one should be careless to violate the rules and regulations

It is not wrong for your boss to your friend. He just have to set the record straight by separating business from friendship. In fact, it is a good thing if your boss is friendly, it encourages or motivate you to always want to give your best for your work to compensate your boss.

To me it is not actually wrong when your boss is your friend. Infact it is very beneficial and offers job security. You only need to do your own part very well

i wouldn't use "wrong" exactly to describe it, but i would just say that the relationship between the boss and employee in a working environment has to stay professional

So many have stressed the need several times for the need of a cordial environment in the workplace. There is nothing bad in your boss being your friend, in fact he is supposed to as far as the relationship does not affect the the business.

As the business owner, I don’t have to become friends with someone I might have to fire. Not because it’s a thing I derive joy in sacking an employee but because my position demands making tough decisions. I wouldn’t want some feelings cross my line of duty especially when making business related decisions.

What are your views?
There's nothing wrong in your boss at work being your friend, but you have to keep the office work officials because it can affect your work if you are not careful enough.

Seriously is not a crime for your boss been your friend alot of experience and information flow between you at your work place and it also encourages willingly participation among you.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds