Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is it advisable for a business owner to give free products or services to their family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Business is business if any family member want to by goods or receive service from business owner you have to pay for the goods or services you procure. If you give your products or service free to your family or relative you will soon go out of business. But the Op situation is a bit complicated which moral and our African culture comes as a fiance you are not to collect money from your mother in-law .
This culture as ruin many businesses in Africa, Yes it totally wrong ,the business is a separate entity on its own and as such family interference should never be encouraged, they are just like cancauworm eating the wood until the wood will collapse before you realize the damage

Advertisement Placeholder
First of all, you created your business to earn profit and not a charity center. It is okay to give but not limited to family members. I don't think it is immoral to make your relative to pay for the product or service that you provide to them especially on your business establishment. After all, even you as an owner pays for the things that you get on your business.

We need to separate family from business if truly we mean business. Business is not a charity house. There is difference between being nice and treating people with preferential. She can collect he money and use it to buy gifts for her in law later.

No i don't think so that this is a good buissness deal to give free products to friends and family however if u are a billionaire then u can otherwise you should not give any free product to anyone else rather than your parents and brothers and sister.
For me it is not a good buissnes deal.
I will never advice you to give products free to anyone.

It depends on how frequent you do that. If you choose to give them the products because you felt the business has made a lot of progress so you want to share the success, you can give but under normal circumstances you don't have to be giving out products to them for free just frequently.

You can give gifts to your family members from what you're selling but there should be limit, it's not Everytime they keep coming you keep giving you're only bringing your business down because those people will never stop taking.
I disagree with you on this, the Truth is that the business is totally different from the family, even you as the owner of the business is not permitted to carry product and start using, you must ensure proper accountability, when you take a product to consume personally you must pay for it

this is a personal and it depends on the individual relationship you have with them.businesses should be strictly dealt with and if you want to deal with business you have to differentiate business from family.it's not the case that you can't give out to your family members but they are two different things

If you keep on giving them free services, it makes them take you and your business for granted. I'm not saying that it's wrong not to do so but as the saying goes, " too much of everything is bad".

To my own opinion ,I usually ear that family is different from business and you should not giv your family goods that they will not pay .when you are given them goods and you are still satisfied them so it will not let your business to move forward .

As the saying goes that families comes first, so far the busines is not owned by the family, I don't think it's advisable, although you'll be tempted to give for free but it will not be a good thing if you give freely, without a token, at least if they should pay, it should be at a discount.

there is nothing bad in giving and there is nothing wrong in giving from your business or products to family members as long as they are worth it but all you just have to do it making it minimal and it can even be the case that you just have to set up the quantities or amount to be given out

I would say its not good to give free services to your relatives, maybe except if you already have good profit on it or you don't mind about the money spent for free. Because basically in accounting, they might consider as your withdrawal from the business. And anything personal should be separated from business because business is business.

Business should be business and not a gifting avenue because alot of money goes into it, by the time you start gifting your item in the store, you are on your way to making huge losses, so what your friend fiance did is actually the best course of action and your friend is just overacting, just make him see the truth and he will calm down.

Giving Free products and free services are the best way to retain customers. I am a writer. When my old customers contact me, I always lower my rate for them. I am also a digital marketer, and I give free marketing service for 2-3 days for my regular customers so that they stay with me.

As for me it's not right because he's not running a orphanage home so why do he needs to give his family his products and moreover if he start giving his family his products they won't no the usefulness of his products and even doesn't care about it not advice there friends to buy because they can easily steal or out of there own and give it to there friends

I have a friend who got angry with his fiance for collecting money from his mother when she came to make her hair in the fiance saloon, his excuse was that she is not supposed to charge his mother because soon they will get married and his mother will become her mother in-law, so she is supposed to make her hair for free. So my question is it advisable to render free services to family members as a business owner?
In running a business, to become successful, the owner should separate his private life to his business' life. What your friend did, for me its wrong because he didnt consider his fiance's hardwork. Business is business.

Well I personally do not see that as a bad thing in itself. However you have to be very careful with how you associate your family members with your business. One should draw a line between business and family life. If you wish to give a family member something you sell as a gift, that only increases love and strengthen the ties between you and your family members but once you make everything readily available to them them your business is heading for the woods and will soon fail.
[automerge]1611364768[/automerge]
Well I personally do not see that as a bad thing in itself. However you have to be very careful with how you associate your family members with your business. One should draw a line between business and family life. If you wish to give a family member something you sell as a gift, that only increases love and strengthen the ties between you and your family members but once you make everything readily available to them them your business is heading for the woods and will soon fail.
I have seen this happening lol, when you give them something without control and warnings they will start taking things themselves without even asking so you need to be very careful about giving someone something this is not just on family but friends aswell

I have a friend who got angry with his fiance for collecting money from his mother when she came to make her hair in the fiance saloon, his excuse was that she is not supposed to charge his mother because soon they will get married and his mother will become her mother in-law, so she is supposed to make her hair for free. So my question is it advisable to render free services to family members as a business owner?
Well it's not something we cajole people to do, it's something we do willingly, I once asked on Facebook if your pastor comes to your shop to buy something will u collect money from him, 80% of my friends said yes, am in school business and most times I find it difficult to ask people who are so close to my family to pay school fees

I think there is nothing bad in charging your friends and families for the goods bought in your shop or services rendered by you. Alot of people confuse Business and morals to be alike but there are two different things.Most people always expect morals in business which it’s not supposed to be like that. You have a projected income and it’s always advisable to be strict with your finances. I don’t see anything bad in getting paid for services rendered to a relative.

Ensure your customers are receiving value. ...
Offer customers gifts, not free services. ...
Consider building a 'win-back' strategy. ...
Aim to surprise, delight and create fandom. ...
Give them a complete solution or experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds