Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is it advisable for a business owner to give free products or services to their family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I personally do not see that as a bad thing in itself. However you have to be very careful with how you associate your family members with your business. One should draw a line between business and family life. If you wish to give a family member something you sell as a gift, that only increases love and strengthen the ties between you and your family members but once you make everything readily available to them them your business is heading for the woods and will soon fail.
[automerge]1611364768[/automerge]
Well I personally do not see that as a bad thing in itself. However you have to be very careful with how you associate your family members with your business. One should draw a line between business and family life. If you wish to give a family member something you sell as a gift, that only increases love and strengthen the ties between you and your family members but once you make everything readily available to them them your business is heading for the woods and will soon fail.

Advertisement Placeholder
You can harm yourself financially if you offer your services or goods for free or for a deep discount, and over time, you can may start to resent people you love. On the other hand, you do not want people in your social circle to feel that you are greedy or ungrateful, particularly if your entrepreneurial ventures have been funded.

Last edited:
It's a no for me because you are sacrificing your business for the sake of your family members. And also if your family members know that your business is new and growing they will not accept your offer to give them free because it is your hardworks then maybe they will pay for it.

Business and morals are two different things. Most people always expect morals in business which it’s not supposed to be like that. You have a projected income and it’s always advisable to be strict with your finances. I don’t see anything bad in getting paid for services rendered to a relative
You are right, if businesses should continue to operate like that, sooner or later it will crash, so business is totally different from family, it's unprofessional to think you are practicing morals then dash your goods out for families and friends, business is not charity, it is for profit making

I understand the reaction of the fiance on why his fiancee made his mother pay for the service. The customer is the mother of her fiance so it would be cordial to do a free service as a sign of courtesy. In our culture it is all right to charge the mother but we prefer the free service. Maybe when they are married then the mother should be paying because there is no courtesy anymore and business is business so everyone should pay.

Business is business if any family member want to by goods or receive service from business owner you have to pay for the goods or services you procure. If you give your products or service free to your family or relative you will soon go out of business. But the Op situation is a bit complicated which moral and our African culture comes as a fiance you are not to collect money from your mother in-law .

Since the business is not funded by a family member. I see no reason why you should categorize your sales based on family and friends. To increase productivity and income, treat every one like a customer

I think it's alright to give free products or services to the family members sometimes but there should be a limit to it. And not to the extent of being too much, or better yet, you could just offer them discounts.

No. It is very risky because of bankruptcy. It shortens profits. It should be limited. They will take advantage of you and it causes loss. Discount is preferable to giving free products.
[automerge]1611406486[/automerge]
No. It is very risky because of bankruptcy. It shortens profits. It should be limited. They will take advantage of you and it causes loss. Discount is preferable to giving free products.

Business and morals are two different things. Most people always expect morals in business which it’s not supposed to be like that. You have a projected income and it’s always advisable to be strict with your finances. I don’t see anything bad in getting paid for services rendered to a relative.

Lol. I have seen this story somewhere. I think it is extremely irresponsible of the guy to scold his fiance about this issue, the woman rendered a service and she definitely has to get paid, besides she runs a business venture not a charity house.

Well in business, you must be strict and disciplined, you should not be dashing out product or service freely anyhow because of familiarities, if you want to gift out products for promo, that is a different thing.

A business is a business not a charity organization, well it depends on individuals, some can decides to give free services to their family members always while some do not. The issues about business is that when families are involved there is bound to be misunderstandings so the best way is to set up a standard when starting your business that either no family member will be allow to free services or they will be allowed depending on what you want. Because most family member tends to take advantage of these gestures and end up abusing the chances given to them. For me I can involve my family and that includes my wife and children and mother and father only. Anyone outside that will have to pay.

Business should be business no matter what. Family, friends, acquaintances, should be treated as customers and clients and every good and services should be paid for strictly. If families and friends are allowed to dive into businesses and probably take goods away without payments, who will account for those? Who will be responsible for the costs of the goods and services rendered. Any business or company who wants to grow will keep family & friends completely out of it.

No it is not advisable to give free services to family members because there is just lost in the business of giving free services.
Mostly people who are doing this type of things so their business fall down soon due to losing budget and profit.every company and business need high profit and budget for continuing business so my suggestion is that do not follow this way.

I have a friend who got angry with his fiance for collecting money from his mother when she came to make her hair in the fiance saloon, his excuse was that she is not supposed to charge his mother because soon they will get married and his mother will become her mother in-law, so she is supposed to make her hair for free. So my question is it advisable to render free services to family members as a business owner?
Business and family are two different entities. On which account should she write the cost of the hair if she did not collect the money? Maybe it was no small service, I don't support the notion of entitlement. Imagine they are not even married yet, the are family to be. I will not render any service to families that refuse to pay. If you can't help me, leave me as I am.

There's no wrong with giving some of your products to your family members, but not all times that will end up they'll be spoiled enough, they should support you as well, buy your products sometimes or recommend your products to their friends and colleagues for you to earn.

I have a friend who got angry with his fiance for collecting money from his mother when she came to make her hair in the fiance saloon, his excuse was that she is not supposed to charge his mother because soon they will get married and his mother will become her mother in-law, so she is supposed to make her hair for free. So my question is it advisable to render free services to family members as a business owner?
It depends, if the service rendered won't affect the business or lead to extra cost which may affect the business, one could give the service to the family member or friend but it should not be done frequently for the business to thrive.

When it comes to business, family should be separated from Business because if family issues are placed into business believe me the Business will run down in no time. Some family are very wicked up to the extent of not wanting to pay for goods and services rendered to them and that can wreck a business

If they are your responsibility and living with you in a house you should give them what they want. But if they have their own houses and sources of income then don't give them anything for free. It also depends upon your relations too that which type of relation to you have with others to allow them to get what they want from your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds