Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How to handle tardiness of employees

True unforseen circumstances might arise no doubt so the employers should definitely be flexible during those times, and when it's a norm with the employee that's a bad thing
Also. If the organisation has a hard rule on lateness, it is only right for the employees to conform to the organisations standard.

Advertisement Placeholder
True, an employee has to comform to the standards of the organization that's why some employers probably find it hard to be understanding because it has already being stated prior
Also. If the organisation has a hard rule on lateness, it is only right for the employees to conform to the organisations standard.

Well, in reply to your question in the above post concerning how to deal with tardiness of employees, in my opinion this has to be handled with care and at the same time discipline because the work of the company can't be affected

There is an adage says " punctuality is the soul of business". In any business, there should be a resumption time and in some cases there is consideration for people living far but that consideration should not be abuse. I think penalty should be meant for late comers.

Warnings are key, with strikes for repeated offenses. I think most places have these options. And rightfully so, because you don't want to keep a person who is tardy every day, around. Give them up to 3 strikes and they're out of there.

I think when it is time for business let business be played without jokes and when it is time for pleasure let it be done without compromise of the other. that is my opinion about business management. si in the face instance I will make an advice and plea because they are human like me whom needed to be handled with respect and care to understand my point of view.

Warnings are key, with strikes for repeated offenses. I think most places have these options. And rightfully so, because you don't want to keep a person who is tardy every day, around. Give them up to 3 strikes and they're out of there.
In big companies the warning is a standard. Employees who come in late 3 times in a month would get a stern warning. More than 3 can result in suspension or other sanctions. But I know of some people who couldn't come in on time. One example is an office mate who comes in late for her 8:30 am schedule. I wonder why she couldn't wake up 30 minutes earlier.

In Nigeria some business managers can handle lateness to work by employee by reduction of their salary, I think this could be one of the best way you can stop people from becoming late to work or organisation, any employee that is being threatened of salary reduction will be serious.

I think that there should be no excuse for coming late to work several times a month. There should be clear consequences set for such tardiness. In most companies, three warnings are given before being suspend. Also an apology should be given beforehand on those days that circumstances forces you to be late.

Punctuality is tue sole of any business and the moment lateness is tolerated, it means the business may soon run down. In my place of work, monetary sanction is given to any one who comes late.

Coming in late for work is a bad habit that is prevalent in our culture. Worse, we have the term "Filipino Time" to mean you are late because you are a Filipino. But in business the workers should be on time for the work schedule otherwise it can affect the efficiency of the process or procedure. In big companies having 3 times tardy can be a ground for suspension and more than 7 times late for work in a month calls for automatic suspension. If you are a manager what is your viewpoint on the tardiness of an employee, are you considerate because they live far or is that no reason to come in late for work?
Hmm.... Its truly a difficult situation because there are factors that could cause the lateness of employees but one won't tolerate it by issuing queries should be enough..

Here, people talk about "African time" and this is really disturbing. As a manager or head of an organization, I don't think I would tolerate people who behave like that, especially if it has become a habit.

There are sometimes when overwhelming circumstance may make workers come to work late, but that doesn't have to be all of the time

i am not saying they should be given a consideration to staffs that comes from a far place, all I am saying is that , they should ask about their personal life and see if there's any assists that can be given to people that are affected.
This makes sense. However the one thing that i have seen in a work environment is while it is good to be kind there are instances where people will try to take advantage of that kindness and make excuses that may not be justifiable.

Well I am laughing so hard right now while reading your write up because this issues of coming late to workplace is actually quite prevalent here in my country Nigeria and we also have a saying known as "African time" just like you have Filipino time in your country.

I am pretty sure when they signed up for the job, they where aware of the time the work starts and they where also aware of the distance between their homes and the office. So that should never be an excuse. Because most managers wount take it

I really don't like people being late for anything at all, be it appointments or jobs and in situations what this happens and I have a say, I would ensure such workers face some penalties after warnings.

That's what I'm saying. When you own a business, you rely on your employees to help you run the company efficiently. And if an employee is consistently late on job, oftentimes it can affect badly on the whole work environment.
Then if an employee continues in a negative behavior, what do you think might happen or what would you do if you were the manager.

Here are ways to discourage employees from arriving late, as well as how to deal with those who regularly do:
Use a time clock. ...
Schedule a staff meeting first thing in the day. ...
Be clear and consistent about the rules. ...
Require phone calls. ...
Institute consequences for lateness.

This has really eaten deep into the fabric of the work environment and people sometimes deliberately exhibit laxity towards their job. Sometimes they do this times undermining the consequences, the best thing is setup a disciplinary framework within organization to checkmate things.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds