Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How to handle tardiness of employees

Alexandoy

Captain Junkie
Credits
Coming in late for work is a bad habit that is prevalent in our culture. Worse, we have the term "Filipino Time" to mean you are late because you are a Filipino. But in business the workers should be on time for the work schedule otherwise it can affect the efficiency of the process or procedure. In big companies having 3 times tardy can be a ground for suspension and more than 7 times late for work in a month calls for automatic suspension. If you are a manager what is your viewpoint on the tardiness of an employee, are you considerate because they live far or is that no reason to come in late for work?

Advertisement Placeholder
Coming in late for work is a bad habit that is prevalent in our culture. Worse, we have the term "Filipino Time" to mean you are late because you are a Filipino. But in business the workers should be on time for the work schedule otherwise it can affect the efficiency of the process or procedure. In big companies having 3 times tardy can be a ground for suspension and more than 7 times late for work in a month calls for automatic suspension. If you are a manager what is your viewpoint on the tardiness of an employee, are you considerate because they live far or is that no reason to come in late for work?
Even if the employee has difficulty far from home, he must arrive at his job on time. When interviewing a staff to be hired, notice must be given as to compliance with the schedule, said person accepts or not the terms and signs the acceptance. In my country with 3 delays a month without strong reasons, it goes to the human resources department and they make the decision to give an opportunity or simply justified dismissal.

No employer should condone late coming as this bad habit can hinder the performances of the employee and organization, though, sometimes, late coming in some rare cases can be inevitable, as for me, any employee that exceeds coming late thrice within the month should face a sanction, whether salary deductions or few days suspension and more, some employers also go the extra mile by providing accommodation to those who live afar.

I would advise employees living far to get a nearby accomodation. I won't tolerate late coming. This things affect productivity of business generally. It's best to find a solution.

No far distance to the office is never an excuse to get to the office late. Lateness should never be tolerated for any reason. When I was a manager I used to impose a fine for lateness to the office and everyone adjusted.

No far distance to the office is never an excuse to get to the office late. Lateness should never be tolerated for any reason. When I was a manager I used to impose a fine for lateness to the office and everyone adjusted.
That option you describe I like, I will propose it in my offline work, I really dislike irresponsible staff, a fine for unpunctuality will surely help and as you say everyone will adjust to meet their responsibility in the schedule, and stop arriving after the scheduled time.

Some people have the habit of coming in late not only for work or for school but for any personal appointment. Maybe it is in their system that they feel so important. That is my take when someone comes in late. He is not ashamed to waste the time of other people.

I think reward and fine system helps to improve workers efficiency. Reward employees who are good and fine employees who are bad performers.

Some people have the habit of coming in late not only for work or for school but for any personal appointment. Maybe it is in their system that they feel so important. That is my take when someone comes in late. He is not ashamed to waste the time of other people.
You are right @Alexandoy, many people have this bad habit, there are no benefits to correct them, in those specific cases an administrative follow-up should be created for their repeated misconduct and then be fired for breach of contract clauses.

Some people are fond of coming late to work and they do it intentionally, but there are ways we handle them , if they came late two days consecutively, they will be asked to fill a query form and if they came late the third day, they will be suspended for a week and the money will be deducted from their salary.

When the unemployment rate is so high in the world, why should you give chances to employees who are not sincere in their work.

When the unemployment rate is so high in the world, why should you give chances to employees who are not sincere in their work.
I totally agree with you. Valuing the unemployment rate and those who have the job do not value it, they should give the opportunity to other more responsible people, who will surely give it more value and responsibility.

Life does not give you a second chance, one mistake and your business will fail. Therefore, why should you give second chance to your cheating employees.

Life does not give you a second chance, one mistake and your business will fail. Therefore, why should you give second chance to your cheating employees.
Lol, that's true. Businesses doesn't give a second chance whenever it wants to fall. So cheating employees shouldn't be given. If given second chance they might even be worst.

One simple mistake and your business can go bankrupt. Therefore, you should never take a chance with cheating employees.

One simple mistake and your business can go bankrupt. Therefore, you should never take a chance with cheating employees.
Sure, slacking, before the cheating employees ruin your business so low driving zero profit as time goes on. Those people are there for their own personal gain and not for the general progress of the company.

My first business collapsed because I relied on my partners. If I had spotted my partner's tardiness early on, my business would have survived.

As a manager, you may overlook coming late of your employee at first. But, what if it becomes a pattern? A Time tracking device/software can be of use here, which will record when employees log in and out of their workplace. If your employees know that they are being monitored, then they will feel more compelled to show up on time.

As a manager, you may overlook coming late of your employee at first. But, what if it becomes a pattern? A Time tracking device/software can be of use here, which will record when employees log in and out of their workplace. If your employees know that they are being monitored, then they will feel more compelled to show up on time.
You're right. At first time I'll pardon the employees. But if it becomes a norm, then other ways of curtailing such late coming will be put in line just as you said.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds