Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Common Mistakes in Praising Employees

Advertisement Placeholder
Well I think it is actually very good to praise your employees from time to time In order to actually boost their confidence and to motivate them to actually work harder in life

Some common mistakes mangers does is that they fail to recognize the effort of the workers just because they pay the workers so they even boder appreciate the work they do

When you praise someone too much the whole thing will be so boring and it may not really be interesting anymore, what I'm trying to say is that we should always know the right moment to praise our employees for any job well done.

Never make it seem as if praise is just another item on your to-do list. When you give praise, it needs to be genuine and heartfelt, or it won't have an impact. That means you can't say the same thing every time. Show that you're truly paying attention and you are happy with the employee's work.

1. Adopting the one-size-fits-all approach
2. Focusing only on cash rewards
3. Offering rewards only for performance and efficiency
4. Limiting recognition only to a specific level of employment
5. Keeping rewards and recognition as a private affair

I believe that one should not limit employee achievement recognition, especially when all the employees are performing greatly. Many employers often overlook the good performance of employees and this can make employees frustrated.

It's a good thing to give praise to staffs who are performing excellently well, it serves as a source of motivation as well and a driving force to do even more and to put greater efforts in the work the employee is doing.
Making mistakes is something that is very common in life which is why I believe that whenever their work and makes mistake it is your duty as an authority or the boss to correct them in a way that they will learn and do it better next time.

A lot of literature, business and management articles or business tips, suggest always giving praise to employees who excel or at least to increase their work motivation. Giving praise to employees correctly will give positive results but if the praise is done wrongly it can be a contra indication of praise. Here are some common mistakes managers and owners make when giving praise to their employees:
1. Blaming without giving direction
2. Praise the talent, not the hard work of the employee
3. Not giving praise / rewards to employees who are performing well,
Maybe you have other ideas or opinions about common mistakes in giving praise to employees.
As a business owner it is actually very good that you praise your workers when they do well and caution them when they don't do well so that they will have the feeling of being loved and at the same time being wanted to always do their best.

When you praise someone too much the whole thing will be so boring and it may not really be interesting anymore, what I'm trying to say is that we should always know the right moment to praise our employees for any job well done.
I understand your point. However, I think it shouldn't apply to all employees. There are employees that would want their bosses to praise them for every little effort and they might feel underappreciated if such praise isn't forthcoming.

Praising an employee after they have done and exceptional work is good but that does not mean that you should make them pompous or let them think that they do not have any other limit for growth.

I understand your point. However, I think it shouldn't apply to all employees. There are employees that would want their bosses to praise them for every little effort and they might feel underappreciated if such praise isn't forthcoming.
Well there are some people like that, I understand, but if I am the boss of a business I won don't have the time to appreciate people for every little activities they have done, after all it is their responsibilities and I am paying for it.

Well there are some people like that, I understand, but if I am the boss of a business I won don't have the time to appreciate people for every little activities they have done, after all it is their responsibilities and I am paying for it.
That's a very blunt but true assessment. After all, you're not demanding anything special or different from from their work description. However, you should give commendations when necessary for a job well done.

That's a very blunt but true assessment. After all, you're not demanding anything special or different from from their work description. However, you should give commendations when necessary for a job well done.
But you may not always be around to give them appreciation for everything they are doing , but I can give appreciation when it is necessary. okay do you really think you will always be around to satisfy some employees that always need appreciation for everything they have done ? No let's just be real here

Like you just said , I don't see any bad thing in praising employee , praising them and motivating them gives them the zeal to even do better but there are some employees that misbehave if you shower them with praises.

But you may not always be around to give them appreciation for everything they are doing , but I can give appreciation when it is necessary. okay do you really think you will always be around to satisfy some employees that always need appreciation for everything they have done ? No let's just be real here
You sound very practical about it. There are some bosses who don't even care to commend their staff even when they know that such employee has done exceptionally well.

Giving everyone the same reward or recognition lessens the weight of the gesture. Recognition should be, unique and personalized. Different types of excellence deserve different types of recognition. And only when recognition is personalized will employees believe that the employee recognition program carries weight.
Yes I totally agree with what you just said,giving everyone the same reward or recognition lessens tgs weight of gesture, different works of excellence by employees should be deserve different .

A friend who manages her own business asked me how to discipline his best employee. Just by the sound of it my impression is that the best employee is a spoiled brat. Stop all praises even if he had done very good for the business. Just let it be known that it is his job so it does not need praise.

You sound very practical about it. There are some bosses who don't even care to commend their staff even when they know that such employee has done exceptionally well.
Oh, well people are quite different but for me I'm really passionate about taking care of my employees and to make sure they are comfortable because I will always provide a good working atmosphere for them but even if I have to do this, omo you will be on your own.. seriously I wont Even have time... I will only do It when it is absolutely necessary.. you seems to be a great manager, have you ever manage a business ?

It's actually a good thing to praise one's employee but it has to be done in a good way. You really need to make sure you do it in such a way that the employee won't feel too much of himself or herself and start misbehaving

Giving everyone the same reward or recognition lessens the weight of the gesture. Recognition should be, unique and personalized. Different types of excellence deserve different types of recognition. And only when recognition is personalized will employees believe that the employee recognition program carries weight.
Being recognised is very important for me as a human being that's questionable and I am working for you and doing my best to make your business so as long as I'm being recognised in what I do I will always give my best.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds