Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💬 Platform Discussion Zetaboards

Dedicated to updates, news, and discussions related to the community software platform like Invision Community, WoltLab, XenForo, and others. This helps us in organizing and centralizing all relevant information in one thread.
I'm still curious how much Brandon made off selling the entirety of Zathyus Networks.
I really wish we got to find this out. I truly just wish he would have made it open source or so instead of selling it off.

I remember Zetaboards very well from using the forum many times as a member. I never had the chance to use it as an owner though but I heard many people saying that they were very happy with it when they used it.

I don't know Brandon, but if I had to speculate - based on what happened with other folks that TT acquired around that time - it wasn't just a case of money. TT was, I gather, generous but not outrageously so.

Thing is, around the time of that acquisition, it was fairly clear that the forum heyday was past, and that it's entirely possible it was a sign that it was time to move on. Running a forum hosting business is not for the faint of heart - and maybe the offer came along at a time when he felt it was time to move on. I know others in the hosting business have made similar changes, especially during the covid times to reconsider their future.

That sounds logical, and he was the main operator of the entirety of the service, so it must have been exhausting to keep it alive. I'm sure forums slowly starting to die out did play a factor in selling it as well. It's just sad overall, that all that work of not only him but the entirety of the network basically went to waste.

Here’s a theory I thought of. Brandon foresaw the decline in forums years ago and decided if he wanted to get something back from it, that it was the perfect time to sell.

Here’s a theory I thought of. Brandon foresaw the decline in forums years ago and decided if he wanted to get something back from it, that it was the perfect time to sell.
Honestly I believe this to be true too. It was the perfect opportunity for him to sell. I wonder how much he got for selling Zetaboards. Either way it still sucks, but I can understand the business side of things too.

Yeah I certainly miss the bubble that I was in during those hay days.
Outline, Mokata, GForce and many others I would instantly miss if I could remember their names... All ran by the same people more or less but everyone knew everyone and was just a fun time in my life personally. Met a lot of really good friends that I seriously miss when Zetaboards just went bye bye.
After that I kinda just resented every other forum software and dipped, was a shame cause I didn't take the time to save all my resources and screenshot some of my memories that will have 100% been deleted today.
I did randomly get into one of my old forums that other day on Tapatalk which was nice. Kinda miss making Themes, skins, icons and doing reviews....Ah how easy teenage years were... xD

I wonder if any themes based on ZB's default theme are available for phpBB, MyBB, XenForo etc.? That would be cool to look at and use. I wonder if it's hard to design something like that. :unsure:

Got a screenshot or something I can look at? It's probably not that hard to make it look reasonably close without too much effort.

I used to have good fun porting (nice) WordPress themes to SMF back in the day so it's definitely doable.

I wonder if any themes based on ZB's default theme are available for phpBB, MyBB, XenForo etc.? That would be cool to look at and use. I wonder if it's hard to design something like that. :unsure:
They at least have some of the old premade Invisionfree/Maybe Zetaboards ones that were cool made into Jcink themes! Looks pretty cool to see them revived.

@Arantor

I went searching and found the original CSS for the Zetaboards theme though... I can't post it because there is a 10,000 word limit though.... hmmm....

Edit: I can share the link with you though and see if that helps anyone...

1683076364542.png

Last edited:
Imagine if we could setup a resources section for phpbb, smf or mybb with old zetaboards themes. That would be pretty awesome.

Honestly.. to me, with today's abilities... that would be like going back to "MySpace". ;)

Don't we all actually want to move forward to something more progressive? I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen a site that replicates the BBS's of my "teething" era into actual worldwide communications.
ASCII for everybody!
Now, to speak honestly.. I really wish we could go back to that period.. folks were a LOT more real and you didn't have to worry about the current BS you do online.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor