Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Modern forum hosting software

TimelessSailor

Credits
If a Zetaboards successor came about with custom forum software, what would you hope to see from it? What features are software like IPB, Xenforo, etc. missing? What should a forum software built in 2023 look like? Maybe some sort of Discord-Forum hybrid?

Forum Spark as mentioned in the Zetaboards thread was going to be the spiritual successor to the platform and it probably would have been great if the project wasn't abandoned. Anyways I think most of the paid software already do a good job with what they offer. Modern community software like Discourse exists, and they strive to move away from the more traditional forum layouts that we're used to. They believe that this is the way that forums should be in modern times, but honestly I don't really care for the layout. I think you meant 2024 in your post though since we're in 2024 now and 2023 is in the past btw lol.

I have very strong feelings about what a 2024 forum solution should look like.

1. Topics should not be constrained to text; it should be possible to upload images, videos etc. that can be treated the same as a topic - maybe with a little different presentation but otherwise, the same.
2. I think the front page needs to be more configurable; I think the list of borads on a forum needs to not be the default front page, I think it needs to be able to support people both 'favouriting' boards and 'ignoring them' such that you don't just get to state 'I don't want this content' but be able to proactively indicate 'I want this content'. With that, I think the front page needs to support being able to showcase content from across the site and do so in different ways to different audiences; new incoming users need to see what the site has to offer, returning users need to see what has been engaged with (replies, quotes, reactions, more content of the kinds I want to see)
3. I think a content builder outside of the forum is a must; I don't think a pure forum can readily survive on its own because it's always been hard enough to build a community, but now we're in the 'you need content to bring people in' era, and that means a blog or some other kind of article content to bring people in. Having a full CMS attached wouldn't be bad either.
4. Maybe drop the bbcode and go for Markdown; most of the time people don't really care to express anything so complex in discussions, but something more rugged for content that isn't just discussions is probably useful.
5. Needs to be good on mobile by default, ideally supporting PWA + push notifications out of the box.
6. Ideally easy for people to do basic customisation out of the box - colours, replacing board icons, membergroup icons, favicons, putting in what should live in the poster info on posts.
7. Good accessibility options out of the box - not just light/dark modes, maybe going as far as a selection of fonts, ability to customise text sizes, letter spacing, high contrast mode, ability to turn off animated avatars. Maybe even going as far as having a branding-lite option that's optimised for usability.
8. Ditch the historical PM-as-email or even PM-as-topic approach; treat conversations between people more like a chat style, optimising for shorter and more frequent messages.
9. Custom fields for all the things - make it easy to extend things like topics as well as accounts. Make it filterable and stuff like that.
10. Make it easy to add new kinds of boards/topics - a classifieds board is not really wildly different from a regular board beyond access rights, presentation and ability to produce certain kinds of rating for a topic. Ditto other kinds of boards and topics.

I am aware that XF and IPS ecosystems cover much of the above between them, but I think if you're going to tackle them, you need to come at it from 'making the core flexible enough to do away with most of the third party ecosystem' while not spreading the focus to too-deeply built things (a la IPS)

I could also expand more but this is plenty of food for thought...

I would note that the self hosting market is much smaller than either the XF or IPS fanboys think it is, so having a hosted service is a must for a lot of people, especially if it can be made reasonably affordable.

I have very strong feelings about what a 2024 forum solution should look like.

1. Topics should not be constrained to text; it should be possible to upload images, videos etc. that can be treated the same as a topic - maybe with a little different presentation but otherwise, the same.
2. I think the front page needs to be more configurable; I think the list of borads on a forum needs to not be the default front page, I think it needs to be able to support people both 'favouriting' boards and 'ignoring them' such that you don't just get to state 'I don't want this content' but be able to proactively indicate 'I want this content'. With that, I think the front page needs to support being able to showcase content from across the site and do so in different ways to different audiences; new incoming users need to see what the site has to offer, returning users need to see what has been engaged with (replies, quotes, reactions, more content of the kinds I want to see)
3. I think a content builder outside of the forum is a must; I don't think a pure forum can readily survive on its own because it's always been hard enough to build a community, but now we're in the 'you need content to bring people in' era, and that means a blog or some other kind of article content to bring people in. Having a full CMS attached wouldn't be bad either.
4. Maybe drop the bbcode and go for Markdown; most of the time people don't really care to express anything so complex in discussions, but something more rugged for content that isn't just discussions is probably useful.
5. Needs to be good on mobile by default, ideally supporting PWA + push notifications out of the box.
6. Ideally easy for people to do basic customisation out of the box - colours, replacing board icons, membergroup icons, favicons, putting in what should live in the poster info on posts.
7. Good accessibility options out of the box - not just light/dark modes, maybe going as far as a selection of fonts, ability to customise text sizes, letter spacing, high contrast mode, ability to turn off animated avatars. Maybe even going as far as having a branding-lite option that's optimised for usability.
8. Ditch the historical PM-as-email or even PM-as-topic approach; treat conversations between people more like a chat style, optimising for shorter and more frequent messages.
9. Custom fields for all the things - make it easy to extend things like topics as well as accounts. Make it filterable and stuff like that.
10. Make it easy to add new kinds of boards/topics - a classifieds board is not really wildly different from a regular board beyond access rights, presentation and ability to produce certain kinds of rating for a topic. Ditto other kinds of boards and topics.

I am aware that XF and IPS ecosystems cover much of the above between them, but I think if you're going to tackle them, you need to come at it from 'making the core flexible enough to do away with most of the third party ecosystem' while not spreading the focus to too-deeply built things (a la IPS)

I could also expand more but this is plenty of food for thought...

I would note that the self hosting market is much smaller than either the XF or IPS fanboys think it is, so having a hosted service is a must for a lot of people, especially if it can be made reasonably affordable.
Broadly agree with all of this.

Some comments:
#1-3 Cannot agree enough with the first three comments.
#4 You mention bbcode. I'm not as familiar with other ecosystems, but IPS did away with bbcode in its editor in v4. I think the better comparison (and debate) would be WYSIWYG editor versus Markdown, don't you think?
#8 Interesting comment. Is there a reason why you propose a chat style (with its benefit of synchronicity) specifically for PM, and not the community as a whole?

You shouldn't need to pay extra in order to get access to things such as themes and other codes. You also shouldn't have to pay extra if you want to offer things like blogs.

Broadly agree with all of this.

Some comments:
#1-3 Cannot agree enough with the first three comments.
#4 You mention bbcode. I'm not as familiar with other ecosystems, but IPS did away with bbcode in its editor in v4. I think the better comparison (and debate) would be WYSIWYG editor versus Markdown, don't you think?
#8 Interesting comment. Is there a reason why you propose a chat style (with its benefit of synchronicity) specifically for PM, and not the community as a whole?
Given that IPS is the outlier here and *the rest of the ecosystem* is bbcode vs Markdown, it’s not an unfair comparison.

Of course, anything beyond the basic-to-modest Markdown is going to bleed into HTML territory as per the MD spec.

The main reason I suggest it is because of the familiarity with other ecosystems - Slack, Discord etc also use Markdown. So does GitHub. The fact these all have slight variations doesn’t put people off the basic use (and even more advanced stuff is converging)

That said I’d still make a differentiation between certain types of content for creation tools, Markdown likely isn’t going to be enough for a complex CMS page, even articles are borderline (even if many of the static site builders out there, e.g. Jekyll, would have you believe otherwise), but for *discussions*, I err very strongly towards keeping the tools very lean and staying out of the way of the people talking, because that’s the key, the talking. Everything else is a distraction.

As for the chat conventions, I’m thinking more about presentation first rather than, say, the mechanics of liveness, but the classic PM systems of 2004 are about replicating email, PM systems of 2014 are about replicating topics, the PM systems of 2024 should function the way users are using other apps - for that, the rivals are WhatsApp, FB Messenger, iMessage, Discord etc. and functionally this is how PMs are used now, so meet that expectation.

Chat as a wider function on a site is always interesting. Functionally it’s no different from chatboxes/shoutboxes of old, or embedding something like the Titan widget for Discord now - it’s competition for attention in a format that encourages currentness and short, rapid answers.

Now this isn’t necessarily a problem - RP is well documented in particular for having chat systems alongside the topics so people can chat, bounce ideas rapidly and then turn that into longer-form topics. But it’s the outlier, it always was in that department. I think it’s possible you could make something work on a broader scale on a forum type site, but you’re basically going to end up chasing something like the Discord experience. This has its own foibles, not least of which is “it’s not as good as Discord” even if it keeps people on the site rather than on a separate service, and even though it will keep the content local and potentially even discoverable if handled correctly. (Something Discord is truly awful at. Everything in Discord should be assumed to be transient even if it isn’t because good luck finding it again.)

You shouldn't need to pay extra in order to get access to things such as themes and other codes. You also shouldn't have to pay extra if you want to offer things like blogs.
Depending on who you’re paying for the themes and codes, potentially hard disagree.

I made over 100 addons for SMF in my time - some of them took 6 months to build - and all are free. The amount of abuse, insults and even threats I got for giving away things puts me off wanting to do it again, so potentially I’d add a charge to filter out the worst of the offenders.

Paying for more features, mostly depends on what it costs to build and maintain that feature. Something like the site having a blog, probably not extra, but the ability to spin up blogs for all your members… that has the potential to consume an unfair proportion of resources and possibly should be paid.

Nothing is free in the end, it‘s coming out of *someone’s* pocket eventually. Just some people are prepared to pay in time rather than money but even that is a literal cost.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor