Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Who Should Take The Blame For Not Meeting Deadline?

The team leader should be blamed for deadline not been net. It could only mean he didn't motivate his team members to do the work on time or he was not serious with the project. Or probably there is no cordial relationship between the team members.

Advertisement Placeholder
Often, it’s easy for managers to blame project delays and the problems that come with it on their team lead.

If an employees constantly fail to meet deadlines, it is good to look other things associated to the project like how their tasks are being structured, how much support is being offered to them, and how organized their working environment is.

is it right to blame the team lead for not meeting a deadline?
Yeah, the team lead ought to take all the blame, why I believe he is the one who is to take the blame is because he could easily lay a complain if the workload was too much. Since he didn't do it, that means it is something he can handle. Him not meeting up to expectations shows he didn't do what he was supposed to do

This is gonna be a bit of a hard to answer question with there being too many variables.

I'm a worker. And i have missed plenty of deadlines.

I have come to the personal opinion that a missed deadline is always the fault of poor management. This is of course not entirely true but in most cases is seems the management overscoped the project and/or made a silly deadline.

Note: i think it's worth mentioning that i have only ever worked in China!

Real life example of older workspace: (You can skip the the last paragraph, I'm just venting)

I was asked create a program for printing data to paper, it should be configurable and easy. I talked to him about different ways to do this, and we agreed on a WYSIWYG solution resembling Word. I sat down for a few days a created a complete project spec and specified: Beta after 3 months and an extra 2 months for test and patch. (I'd like to give 1 month but that has proven insufficient in the past, with changes and whatnot) Totaling 5 months. I gave him the document, he took the paper, i went away and after a few minutes he mailed me "OK" for everything (He mentioned no specifics), and i have 1 month to finish it. (I assume he skimmed it and trashed it) After 6 months the project wasn't even finished seeing as he kept coming to me with project changes.
Looking back i see many cases where this happened. Overscope, changes or impossible deadlines. I did consider that perhaps i got it backwards. That 1 month means i need to thin out the project in order to fit that time-frame. But this was not communicated. I've seen my coworkers start on projects that from the onset has overtime included. So i have fallen to the understanding that project managers can't manage projects. If i work 8 hours a day for the entire period (not 9gag!) then a missed deadline is not my problem. And as such, I've grown to ignore deadlines altogether cause it's the responsibility of the manager that the deadline and project spec matches.

Ok. So i do not wish to ask whether or i was wrong or not is this example. (You're welcome to talk about it) But i would rather like to know, what are the symptoms of poor management

And with the authority game and my competence at stake. What can i do as a worker when presented with a "Death march".

Often, it’s easy for managers to blame project delays and the problems that come with it on their team lead.

If an employees constantly fail to meet deadlines, it is good to look other things associated to the project like how their tasks are being structured, how much support is being offered to them, and how organized their working environment is.

Obviously, the team lead will be blamed for not meeting deadlines even though the problem isn't from there. It's important for employees to be able to work under pressure or certain circumstances to meet deadlines

Obviously, the team lead will be blamed for not meeting deadlines even though the problem isn't from there. It's important for employees to be able to work under pressure or certain circumstances to meet deadlines
@Diamond07 who receives the blame if the necessary facilities needed to execute the project are not in place? blaming the lead wouldn't change anything but finding out what causes the delay in project execution.

It goes both ways actually. Both the employees and the employer could be blamed. If the right tools and environment is not provided to aid the employees, then the employer should be blamed. But if the conditions are right and employees still didn't deliver, they should no doubt be blamed.

It goes both ways actually. Both the employees and the employer could be blamed. If the right tools and environment is not provided to aid the employees, then the employer should be blamed. But if the conditions are right and employees still didn't deliver, they should no doubt be blamed.
@Briangsam now you get my point. Most employers of labour doesn't look at other factors that could lead to failure of meeting deadline. When an enabling environment is provided, to meet deadlines becomes easy.

Everybody involved with the project should take the blame, be it the manager or the employees, and I think the most important thing to do is to get the job done and not just pass the blame around, it's not gonna help anybody.

Before appointing the blame on the team lead you need to check thoroughly in other to see where the fault is really coming from then find way around it and sort it out instead of blaming the leader. I once had that if blame is been put on someone in the company all the time the company might not rise.

I can not say that I will put blame on a workers/employees because the situation, condition and management of the work will determine to meet deadline or not. However, the person I can put a blame on is a work leader and manager, because they supposed to make a good plan/strategies in which to know the size of workers will needed to shoot the target time.

Everyone is part of the team, and they did not meet the deadline, it is something that is between each of the members that resulted that, not solely the team lead. I've been in this situation in our office, me being the employees, and unfortunately my team lead most often gets the first hand wave of scolding. Which is not good for us employees as well, you know.

@Diamond07 what about management that set deadline and tasks that are nearly impossible to achieve. Knowing the capacity of company in term of equipment and man power, the possibility of meeting such deadline is very low.

To every group of persons, there is always a leader who sees to the affairs of his team. From managing which includes making sure they all meet their target on time to helping them solve issue having to do with any delay they might encounter in trying to perform the task they are being paid for. The team lead tales the blame as well as praise and shares among his team as due, so as to make the team sit tight and never relent

To every group of persons, there is always a leader who sees to the affairs of his team. From managing which includes making sure they all meet their target on time to helping them solve issue having to do with any delay they might encounter in trying to perform the task they are being paid for. The team lead tales the blame as well as praise and shares among his team as due, so as to make the team sit tight and never relent
@Ayoknl why should the team lead take the blame even if it's obvious that the fault is from the management. If the necessary facilities are provided for the job and the team didn't deliver then passing the blame on the team wouldn't be wrong.

@Ayoknl why should the team lead take the blame even if it's obvious that the fault is from the management. If the necessary facilities are provided for the job and the team didn't deliver then passing the blame on the team wouldn't be wrong.
Yes you are right, if the working conditions isn't good enough for expected output, management should be blamed. But it's also the duty of the team lead to inform the management of what is required to improve results and maximize profit.

When it comes to not meeting deadlines, it actually depends on what a project entails, you can blame the employer if he or she gave the employee the projects late, but as long as they gave the employee the project on time, you can blame the employee although still try to find out factors that may have affected the project which caused the delay.

When it comes to not meeting deadlines, it actually depends on what a project entails, you can blame the employer if he or she gave the employee the projects late, but as long as they gave the employee the project on time, you can blame the employee although still try to find out factors that may have affected the project which caused the delay.
@Neeta313 What if they gave the project on time but the deadline fixed wasn't feasible or realistic as predicted by the management. Some management actually deprive joy in setting un realistic deadlines.

@Neeta313 What if they gave the project on time but the deadline fixed wasn't feasible or realistic as predicted by the management. Some management actually deprive joy in setting un realistic deadlines.

The team leader as well as the management have a share of the blame. If a time limit is not reached even though all needs have been met and requests have been met, the team leader is incorrect and should have done more to satisfy them. No customer wants to disappoint, it's part of what they think of before they trust you with future duties and income.

The team leader as well as the management have a share of the blame. If a time limit is not reached even though all needs have been met and requests have been met, the team leader is incorrect and should have done more to satisfy them. No customer wants to disappoint, it's part of what they think of before they trust you with future duties and income.
@Asad Ali: your are very correct that the management and team lead should take the blame. As regards to management not wanting to disappoint customers, the management should provide all necessary facilities to ensure the team handling the project deliver as at when due. More so, a good management that wants to excel in business should always have all necessary facilities in place at all time.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds