Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What's your best paid forum software?

Anachiwo

Reputable member
Credits
If I'm choosing my best paid forum software, it's going to be Xenforo. I love everything about the software down to their support system. The themes it comes with are so good that I don't have words to express exactly how I feel about them. WordPress is good but to me, Xenforo beats it hands down.

Which paid forum software would be your best?

I do not have any experience with using Xenforo as a forum admin, I have never used this software to build forums. But as a user, I find this clean and easy to use. I have not used it because of its high price.

For user interface, available styles and plugins: XenForo
For admin control panel: IPS.

I do not have any experience with using Xenforo as a forum admin, I have never used this software to build forums. But as a user, I find this clean and easy to use. I have not used it because of its high price.
Xenforo is a bit pricy especially if you're running a low budget for your website. But one thing I appreciate is that you will enjoy the value of what you paid for using Xenforo.

Vbulletin was my favorite in the past but now I just use Xenforo because it is a lot more faster and easier to use for drag and drop designers who don't really know much about coding.

Vbulletin was my favorite in the past but now I just use Xenforo because it is a lot more faster and easier to use for drag and drop designers who don't really know much about coding.
I never used Vbulletin for any of my forums work creation in the past. I have been on some forum that are built with the forum software and some of them looked good. There are still a few forum owners that still makes use of the software.

Xenforo is a bit pricy especially if you're running a low budget for your website. But one thing I appreciate is that you will enjoy the value of what you paid for using Xenforo.
Enjoying value is a secondary thing if you want your forum to last long and you are on a tight budget using premium software like xenforo will consume a huge budget and you will end up shutting down your forum pretty soon.

Being a member of AJ, I can say Xenforo is quite an awesome paid forum software. I love the UI and user experience it offers. Totally love it. ❤️

Let's see.

Vesta - very specific, very targeted at the niche it wanted to target, but support was sporadic, the creator was firmly 'don't customise it unless in the specific ways I tell you you can and don't you DARE share your customisations'. Had a lot going for it in some ways but really rough and unpolished in others. No longer available, and honestly, I don't think many (any?) here would have used it. I am still entertained by the notion that the admin panel is poop-brown by default.

Woltlab - it's very functional. Chooses the path of quiet reliability over flashy features, and solidly gets the job done. Can't speak to the support experience, never used it, but I'm given to understand that for the longest time, German users were prioritised and English users were firmly second class citizens, but since WBB 4 it feels very on par. Also I appreciate the time and energy the devs spent in discussing things at TAZ.

CBACK - it's functional, but definitely got its quirks. Decent performer but you have to fight with the relatively idiosyncratic ACP to get anywhere. Solid enough performer, though not sure I'd be recommending it over even Woltlab (though it is cheaper)

Sngine - a self-hosted Facebook-ish clone with a forum module. Could never get the damn thing to work properly, so I assume it was just busted. The rest of the ACP is a chaotic hellhole so I never bothered trying too hard to fix it.

Now, let's get on to the platforms you've actually heard of.

vBulletin - in its day, it was absolutely the mark of premium. If you weren't on vB back in the day were you even a 'real' forum? (Yes, the free options existed but there was very firmly the feeling that if you weren't on vB you were doing it wrong). And it's certainly fair to point out that vB 3 went for a kitchen sink approach. Which was good for users, and to a point admins, but it sprawled to a point that security was kinda whack-a-mole for a bit because it was almost too flexible in some ways. The buyout from IB did it precisely zero favours: whatever you want to say about the lawsuit or the decision to offshore the development, it almost doesn't matter: the decision to rebuild vB ground up for vB 4 and apparently again for vB 5 is fatal. Rebuilding from scratch is one of the time-honoured bad ideas in software development - it was just as true 23 years ago as it is now. And without the Jelsoft vibe, there was never any hope for vB to ever recapture what it had been. Mostly now a historical curio than a serious forum platform.

XenForo - what vB 4 should have been. Clearly the devs learned from their mistakes in building out vB 3, and went very firmly the other direction. But that's proving a downside for them: their firm attachment to 'what is a forum' and reticence in producing first party addons to augment that for what site owners clearly need isn't working out for them the way it used to. Maybe 5 years ago I'd have said that XF was *the* forum platform to build on, but these days I'm less sure. If you're building primarily a forum, or something based heavily around a forum, it's not a bad starting point (it still has an across-the-board good experience), but the lack of first party support for things beyond 'just about a forum' is starting to wear thin. If you're at the stage where 'you need several addons out of the box', something has gone wrong. Not to mention the absurd time between chunky releases. That said, if you do need just a forum, XF remains best in class for that, both in terms of admin and user experience.

IPS - I can't fault IPS for the general sense of trying to cater to all the bases, which is something it's really going for, because of the recognition that what their users want isn't just a forum but all the tools to cater to communities, almost regardless of what 'tools' that community needs. Probably the only major omission I see right now is the ability to community-crowdsource a knowledge base but that's a relatively rare use case. The bigger issues I see with IPS are the fact that it's clearly moving out of the hobbyist market (which I can't *fault it for*, they're going where the money is, as any sensible business should) and leaving behind a vacuum that isn't going to be filled, and that in their pursuit for all the things, they're going for breadth rather than depth. For example, as someone who spent years in the e-learning field, I was surprised by the things it didn't support; e-learning is more than just shoving content at a user and asking a sort of vague quiz (especially given how much content is already out there in formats simply not supported, e.g. SCORM, h5p). If you need more than just a forum, IPS is a worthy consideration but it's not cheap for what it offers, depending on your needs.

Anime-Insight is currently running IPS, Looking into getting a xenForo and using my IPS for my Sinistra Designs website which is my skinning and add-ons for IPS, and might do some stuff for xenForo once I learn the code. IPS has never let me down, with their up-to-date coding the only flaw I can complain about IPS is the fact that you can't separate the primary and secondary navbars. unless I am missing something somewhere. Hopefully, this will be fixed in v5.

Invision for me. I have 2 communities running it.

When my first one grew beyond freeware in 2013, I looked at both Xenforo and Invision (3.x at the time) and it was a difficult decision. But Xenforo was the new kid in town and a lot of sites I frequented used Invision so I was more familiar with it. I tried a demo of each one and Invision had a more intuitive AdminCP while Xenforo was a bit disordely and confusing. We polled the community too and we ultimately went with Invision.

Given Xenforo's [lack of] development in recent years, I am glad we chose Invision, as they are constantly updating their software and continuously innovating.

with their up-to-date coding the only flaw I can complain about IPS is the fact that you can't separate the primary and secondary navbars. unless I am missing something somewhere. Hopefully, this will be fixed in v5.
We have removed the secondary nav bar in v5. So I guess it's fixed? :LOL:

When it comes to the best-paid forum software, it would have to be Xenforo for me. I love how it has so much included right out of the box so to speak and you can set up and get started with a community pretty much straight away without the need for addons at least in the beginning.

From the experience I have at the frontend, I absolutely agree that xenforo is a great choice. Especially the add-on is quite surprising.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest