Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What monetization methods would you recommend?

Shortie

Freelance Writer and Video Game Content Creator!
Retired Staff
Website
www.revillution.net
Credits
There are so many different ways to be able to monetize your website, forum or blog but some people may not always be aware of every method that may be available to monetize your site.

From something such as Google Adsense to other ad services online in which you can use to monetize your site, there are also other methods such as

User upgrades
Donations
Selling merchandise
Offering services
Selling products on your website

I know there are many more ways that you can also use to monetize your website.

What methods would you recommend when it comes to the monetization of a site?

For my site.. currently I don't use (and have no desire) to pursue them. My site is supported out of my pocket because it's something I enjoy. If it ever gets "big" enough to need subsidizing.. then I'l simply look at partnering up with a a few vendors in the niche for specific ad placement and highlighting their sites in the Link Directory and such.

I have those things up and running however I earn nothing. Even with ads I not got paid. It's just out of my pocket
Ergo...why I choose to support my site entirely out of my pocket. I don't expect others to subsidize it. If it gets big enough.. then I'm sure (due to my niche) I can find a vendor to help out.

User upgrades
I have that set up with monthly and yearly options (with a 2 mo free discount on yearly).

Selling products on your website
I have plans to do something with that, but I need a shop addon that lets me sell physical products. (My parents business said I can sell certain items on my site and I keep all profits minus cost of materials)

Donations
I can get those thru my streams, so I only have the monthly/yearly upgrades on my site, and direct donations via my streams via streamelements/streamloots/etc.

I have plans to do something with that, but I need a shop addon that lets me sell physical products. (My parents business said I can sell certain items on my site and I keep all profits minus cost of materials)
Have you looked into something such as Woocommerce on WordPress to sell products? I myself have looked into it but I do know people who use it and they prefer it to be able to sell products that they have safely and securely :)

Have you looked into something such as Woocommerce on WordPress to sell products? I myself have looked into it but I do know people who use it and they prefer it to be able to sell products that they have safely and securely :)
I do not want to run WordPress tbh. I have @Bob's lovely UBS blogs addon which means the entire site is off one login, and everything matches the theme perfectly, and natively.

I'd rather stick with something on XF.

I do not want to run WordPress tbh. I have @Bob's lovely UBS blogs addon which means the entire site is off one login, and everything matches the theme perfectly, and natively.

I'd rather stick with something on XF.
That is understandable that you would want to keep everything within Xenforo :)

What about an eCommerce that is built into Xenforo? DragonByte offers just that :) https://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/

I have those things up and running however I earn nothing. Even with ads I not got paid. It's just out of my pocket
This isn't directed at Empire, but a general reply in light of his comment.

Knowing what drives each of these monetization strategies work is important.

Do you have a lot of traffic? Offer ads

Do you offer exclusive content? Offer subscriptions

Is personalization, customization or individuality important? Offer account upgrades

Do you have a strong sense of community? Offer donations.

If you don't offer or emphasize the reasons behind the strategy, it's going to be hard to monetize.

That is understandable that you would want to keep everything within Xenforo :)

What about an eCommerce that is built into Xenforo? DragonByte offers just that :) https://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/
I'm not sure which would be the best option. Does DragonByte Shop offer selling physical items too, or can eCommerce perform the same functions as Shop in addition to physical? That way I could also offer automated account upgrades, unlock new boards, etc, with credits.

I'm not sure which would be the best option. Does DragonByte Shop offer selling physical items too, or can eCommerce perform the same functions as Shop in addition to physical? That way I could also offer automated account upgrades, unlock new boards, etc, with credits.
I don't use the Dragonbyte shop myself at the moment on my forum but I do believe you can offer physical items as well but not 100% sure on that so will leave it to someone else who uses it to confirm :)

Does DragonByte Shop offer selling physical items too?
I don't think so. From reading it looks like it's limited to stuff like buying tweaks, promotions, upgrades and such on the site.
It looks like their eCommerce can do "paid" digital products (including downloads), but for physical products like a normal web store, I don't think it does that.

Since you have a programmer "on staff", he may be able to write an interface for XF with Zen Cart.
Not for a while. First order of business is company site, then our first product built and pitch to investors. After that, he has another xf addon or two in mind already first (like a visual page builder).

I don't think so. From reading it looks like it's limited to stuff like buying tweaks, promotions, upgrades and such on the site.
It looks like their eCommerce can do "paid" digital products (including downloads), but for physical products like a normal web store, I don't think it does that.

So eCommerce can do the same things as Shop, in addition to the other stuff?

So eCommerce can do the same things as Shop, in addition to the other stuff?
I think Shop is more for site tweaks/features that you can purchase.
eCommerce is more for downloadable content and similar.
They have a pretty good explanation about each at their store in the above links.

I think Shop is more for site tweaks/features that you can purchase.
eCommerce is more for downloadable content and similar.
They have a pretty good explanation about each at their store in the above links.
My folks own their own business, so they could probably help me figure out if I really do need eCommerce, or just sell em on amazon/ebay or something.

Thanks to one of my community members (all by himself actually), he's allowed me to get both Credits and Shop.

Nope, But the end of the day as a hobby its meaning is something that I should not be focused on
This is something that many get "hung" up on. They apparently can't recognize that some of us actually do this as a hobby.... not "wanting" any monetization from it. I've been running various sites for over a decade... and that entire time it's out of my pocket. I have a "set" amount that once it exceeds that monthly then monetization will probably be an option... but that amount is $100 USD (was $300 but this heat is killing us on utility bills).
I get enough personal enjoyment out of maintaining and participating in my site that it's not that much money. I have many friends that blow that much a month simply on going to the clubs or fishing.
I run my site for myself..... yes, I could do it on a blog, but I prefer the format I currently use. If others get benefit from it (or participate at it), then great. If not, I still get MY enjoyment out of it. And I think anyone visiting the site could tell that I have taken some time and thought (as well as money) as to what it offers.

If the site ever gets to be more than what I can afford, then at that time I will partner with vendors in the niche and offering ads/benefits for their businesses on the site.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor