Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What is the difference between nepotism and cronyism?

Cronyism is a more specific form of favouritism , referring to partiality towards friends and associates while nepotism is an even narrower form of favoritism. Coming from the Italian word for nephew, it covers favoritism to members of the family.

Advertisement Placeholder
Cronyism is a more specialized kind of favoritism that refers to preference toward friends and acquaintances. Favoritism can be further subdivided into nepotism and nepotism and nepotism and nepotism and nepotism and nepot It includes partiality for family members.

There is no much difference between this two words of nepotism and cronyism to me the difference only lies in the ability of the person to distinguish them by the exact context on which he wanted ot to be.

I have always known nepotism to be the favouring of family and relatives because of your relationship with them rather than their abilities. But it was my first time learning about cronyism and so I checked it my dictionary. The difference with it and nepotism is that in cronyism, you favour just friends for certain positions just because they are friends and not necessarily because they are qualified for it.

The main difference between nepotism and cronyism is that the nepotism favours family members and relatives whereas the cronyism favours friends.

Favouritism is a part of human society, and it exists in any field within the social structure. Nepotism and cronyism are two such manners of favouritism. Nevertheless, both these have negative consequences such as discrimination in varied sectors.

I can say they have no difference this is because they are all focusing on the same motives of deception and self seeking agenda that is not positively related to the needs of the people but to be self enrichment.

nepotism and croniysm are two different words , croniysm is a situation where by people in power give work to there friend or family members while nepotism is giving unfair advantage to your family member especially if you are In position of power

I have always known that there is so much to learn from different field in this forum from educated individuals from different regions of the world. It is interesting going through comments on topics one doesn't have knowledge of. I have really learnt a lot so far. Thanks for sharing.

I dont thing there is any difference between this two word because both are targeted at the same thing. that's cronyism is base on given opportunities to those or jobs to those who are very close to you.
You have actually said the major difference between the two. Though they are closely related but cronyism has to do with does closest too you, they could be your friends or a member of your family. In other words cronyism has a more personal root than nepotism. Do you have a personal experience with nepotism or cronyism??

There is no difference, both of these words imply that someone is hired not because of skills and knowledge but because they happen to be friends and relatives of the employer.

Nepotism is the practice of partiality in awarding jobs to friends or other colleagues while cronyism refers to partiality to a partner or friend.

Nepotism and cryonism are almost similar in a sense that both consider or favours friends and relatives even without been qualification for the position or job being offered.

Nepotism is favouring of relatives or personal friends because of there relationship rather than because of there abilities while cronyism is favouritsm to friends with out regards to there qualifications.

Cronyism refers to partiality towards friends and associates while Nepotism is even narrower form of favoritism. It's comes from the Italian word for nephew, it covers favoritism to members of the family.
On point. Nepotism might not necessarily be towards family - just friends and close associates while cronyism is towards family.
One common underlying factor is that they both do not respect qualifications. Thanks @Joshua Farrell for this interesting topic.

The both are same to me because the two words has to do with favouritism,and selecting the unmerited over the merit's

The basic connection between nepotism and cronyism is that they tend to favour family,friends, associates on different benefits that may come from occupying a particular position of influence not because of qualification or merit.

I think a lot of people have answered correctly, they are synonymous and one can be used interchangeably for the other. Either ways in the grand scheme of things or context, they represent the same thing.

Nepotism and cronyism are both similar because it has to do with giving someone a title or position based on your closeness with the person and here positions are not based on merit or qualifications and it is just favouritism

The main difference between the two is that the Nepotism is a favoritism given to relatives. While Cronyism is a practice of partiality.

What I'm seeing here is that both of them are all the same and they are not the best form of practice because in a situation like this people can only be appointed base on maybe physical appearance or out-of-favour without even considering if they are really qualify for the tax they are employed to do.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds