Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What happens if you are short-staffed and have horrible workers?

glitch

beep boop
Credits
I always wondered what companies do in this position.

Say you have an issue where you don't have enough workers as it is and 25% of your current staff are terrible at their jobs or maybe just severely lazy. The smart thing would be to fire them but then you would end up even more short-staffed. What do you do?

Advertisement Placeholder

Say you have an issue where you don't have enough workers as it is and 25% of your current staff are terrible at their jobs or maybe just severely lazy. The smart thing would be to fire them but then you would end up even more short-staffed. What do you do?
This is a very difficult scenario. In this case, it is better to start replacing the ineffective staff gradually instead of a full blown lay off. This will help the business to continue to progress.

You are always going to do what is at the best interest of the company. There are always going to be employees for you to choose from so you should not stick to bad ones because you are short staffed.

This is a very difficult scenario. In this case, it is better to start replacing the ineffective staff gradually instead of a full blown lay off. This will help the business to continue to progress.
I agree but in some cases, you just can't find replacements. Then you have people who will work just long enough to get a paycheck and quit on you without notice.

When it comes to he ssue that involves staff and their performance really starts from the recruitment process and then the company policies on the benchmark of accessing the performance of workers contineously,and that will ensure that you are tracking the progress of the workers to know when to do replacement.

Well, such kind of situation could be quite tough to handle for any employer. This is why many employers are encouraged to hire good workers in the first place.

Well, such kind of situation could be quite tough to handle for any employer. This is why many employers are encouraged to hire good workers in the first place.
You have a point here. Companies and organizations must ensure that the founding employees or pioneer staff are people who will be willing to work hard to ensure the success of the business.

You have a point here. Companies and organizations must ensure that the founding employees or pioneer staff are people who will be willing to work hard to ensure the success of the business.

I think that apart from hiring good workers, a company should also focus on hiring enough employees who are willing to work. Many companies do not even have sufficient number of staff members.

When you are experiencing short of staffs in an organisation and some of the ones you have at hand are horrible workers , the work rate will be slowed down thereby affecting the business .

Fire them all is not the solution since you're already short staffed. In this scenario, I think the best thing is to help those workers who are doing terrible task to do their job effectively. I know their job cannot be upto expectations, but it's best to manage them till new qualified staff are hired.

You have to galvanize the current staff members to at least get the best out of them. In some cases, this task is like getting blood out of a turnip, but you have to cajole the workers into putting more effort until you are gradually able to get more staff members in to augment the working force. The dismissal of the lazy employees should also be gradual, and not done all at once

Having short staff is one thing and having horrible workers is the other problem , your staff can still keep up if they are only short but hard-working , but horrible workers will affect the work negatively .

This is a tough time in a business, but instead of employing new staff just for them to be affected negatively by the old ones, I'll suggest you sack the unproductive ones, then work with the good ones, while you look for new staffs. Don't forget to reward the ones that gave their best, the ones that multitasked and ensured the new staffs learnt what the job is about.

Why should a good business owner also have 25% of his staff to be terrible at their job, is it the staff faults or you're the one that hire incompetent staff at the begin

When you are experiencing short of staffs in an organisation and some of the ones you have at hand are horrible workers , the work rate will be slowed down thereby affecting the business .

Well, I think that in such kind of cases, it might really hard for the company to replace the whole staff almost instantly. This is why it is very important for the company to hire good staff in the first place.

Actually when ever you find a horrible worker, it is better and good to your business to replace him or her than leaving he or her and end up causing losses for you and later regretting.

Recruit more staff. It's as simple as that; if after issuing queries and there's no improvement, I'll have no other option than to get more willing people. Though I'll recruit first before firing the existing staff.

Team performance continues uninterrupted when the team is short-staffed. This was possible because of the following Tasks in their management architecture. Tasks, Communicate the vision/mission to the team as it relates to the team’s organizational purpose and expected results.

If you can't get more employees easily the best thing you have to do at that point is to try and manage them , encouraged them as much as you can until you are able to get new people to work for you. This might work.

As a business owner, if one finds his or herself in a situation where one is short staffed and also have horrible workers, i think the best thing to do would be to have a heart to heart conversation with your workers and find out why they don't have a good attitude to the work. It could be that they are not happy with their pay.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds