Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What do you look for in hosting?

Jason

Royal member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
What things are people selling that might sway you their way? Do you feel the price is a problem? Do you look for some niche thing like green hosting (environmentally sound hosting)?

I mainly look at the price as well as uptime, how many websites I can host on my account, etc. I also take a look at reviews too just to make sure they're decent.

Price, speed, resources, content allowed, dedicated or not, and what control panel. :)

Not woke that may close your account if Biden asks them to.
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

I only use VPS now with DirectAdmin because I got kicked off shared hosting and CPanel's fees are ridiculous.

I also am willing to pay more for managed services so I have some back up in case I can't fix something or if I mess something up.

I only use VPS now with DirectAdmin because I got kicked off shared hosting and CPanel's fees are ridiculous.

I also am willing to pay more for managed services so I have some back up in case I can't fix something or if I mess something up.
How much are you paying per month, if you don't mind me asking?

Not woke that may close your account if Biden asks them to.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

In any case I care about hosting being in a country that has compatible laws to me because GDPR (so no US hosting for me), I care about it supporting the things I need (not everyone does), and that it has the correct amount of scaling for the project I have in mind.

I also want to know what support I’ll get in the event I need support (not often but good to know anyway)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

In any case I care about hosting being in a country that has compatible laws to me because GDPR (so no US hosting for me), I care about it supporting the things I need (not everyone does), and that it has the correct amount of scaling for the project I have in mind.

I also want to know what support I’ll get in the event I need support (not often but good to know anyway)
Yes support and service is very important (I don't want the cheapest)
I am with Siteground since I started 4 years ago.
Their services is great only been down once or twice
Their support is hard to get hold of (hidden away) but it is good once you contact them)
They do not use Cpanel, they made their own version of it, and it now has many new features.

But they do seem obsessed with Wordpress blogs and do not know much about forums needs.

But they do seem obsessed with Wordpress blogs and do not know much about forums needs.
Of course, because the (vast) majority of their customers use WordPress. You are not important to them because you make up such a tiny fraction of their userbase.

How much are you paying per month, if you don't mind me asking?
I've got this Standard package from Knownhost for about $70 per month...

Of course, because the (vast) majority of their customers use WordPress. You are not important to them because you make up such a tiny fraction of their userbase.
That is probably true!
Are there that many blogs in the world, they seem to have millions of customers.

That is probably true!
Are there that many blogs in the world, they seem to have millions of customers.
Depending on who you listen to, 45% of the internet is run on WordPress.

I know that the agency I work for currently hosts a dozen different clients all on WordPress (and we help several others who host their own), not to mention people who just blog on their own site for the fun of it (remember those days when people just did things for fun and not for monetisation?)

I've got this Standard package from Knownhost for about $70 per month...
If it works for your needs, that's cool. I've tried VPS and even VDS (Virtual Dedicated Server), and just wasn't happy. I started going with unmanaged (much cheaper), fully dedicated servers, with Plesk Web Pro Obsidian and a tonne of resources.. I never looked back. :)

It suits my needs for now. I got kicked off of shared hosting, and a dedicated server was a lot more. I still opt for managed services so if I personally screw something up, I can get tech support to fix it for me, lol.
I hear ya. My host has good support, but if I fry my server, it's on me. lol

Price isn't a big deal for me. However, my budget won't allow for a dedicated server. Well, what I mean is that I am not nit-picky about savings, but I don't have a super-large income and I factor in other things than just the price.

Price isn't a big deal for me. However, my budget won't allow for a dedicated server. Well, what I mean is that I am not nit-picky about savings, but I don't have a super-large income and I factor in other things than just the price.
Cool. The most I ever paid monthly was like around $65. Fully dedicated with tonnes of resources. But had to cut back on expenses and now get hosted free by a friend. I'm his server Admin. :)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor