Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

☁️ Hosting Solutions Hosting in 2023

Topics related to web hosting services, including shared, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting.

Jason

Royal member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
What do you like? What do you use? What might you consider using? What changes and characteristics do you see of hosting this year? What are some future trends?

VPS for me. My community got too large and I got kicked off of Shared Hosting from HostGator for using too many resources. So much for "unlimited" this and that, lol.

I'm currently with Knownhost.

VPS for me. My community got too large and I got kicked off of Shared Hosting from HostGator for using too many resources. So much for "unlimited" this and that, lol.

I'm currently with Knownhost.
I mean would all hosting servers would do that? end of the day if you can't afford VPS then shared is the way to go

I mean would all hosting servers would do that? end of the day if you can't afford VPS then shared is the way to go
VPS isn't actually that more expensive when you think of it. It just requires some more technical knowledge. But even then, if you can control a cPanel, get a VPS with WHM and cPanel, and you're good to go.

VPS isn't actually that more expensive when you think of it. It just requires some more technical knowledge. But even then, if you can control a cPanel, get a VPS with WHM and cPanel, and you're good to go.
One day that day may happen, but until it gets too big then I consider, I mean by then I would move to another company Xd

$24.95 a month can able to get for VPS and yet shared is cheaper at $13 a month - depends on where you shop

I use Linode. Their marketplace lets me spin up instances pre-configured for whatever I need in a matter of minutes, and will pre-install a lot of software for you with a button. So, for instance, if for some reason I needed a cPanel instance to do some work on, I just click a button to spin that up on a cheap Shared CPU plan with sufficient memory and disk space and it does it all for me.

When I'm done, I just click delete, and it goes away and I'm only charged for hours used. For example, I have one Linode instance running currently and if I deleted it now, I would only be charged for half of this month, since that was the only time it was in use.

The only downside to this is they always charge on the 1st of the month, regardless of when you spin up your instances, which can be inconvenient sometimes. But at the same time, when they do, the charge isn't the full monthly charge if the instance wasn't in use the entire month.

that's 100% uptime
No such thing. Even 5-9's uptime (99.999%) is 5 minutes of downtime in a year. The odds of that are... slim.

Realistically if you want that sort of uptime, you're talking multiple levels of failover redundancy, hosting multiple physical copies of your site, probably in multiple physical providers. (Consider, for example, that AWS's SLAs only go up to 99.95%)

would all hosting servers would do that?
No. Shared hosting does because it's typically oversold (as in, they put more customers on servers than the server probably should have on it, and rely on everyone not using too much)

VPS gives you a percentage of the server's total and when you hit that limit, no more for you, just you get what you get. So the site will stop working properly, and the next step is a bigger server (but you'd have this on dedicated hardware too, once you reach its limit, you reached its physical limit)

You can avoid this in a serverless world but you have to design for it, and it can get crazy expensive quickly.

I use Namecheap. Haven't had any issues with them and their support is actually very responsive and helpful. No regrets here!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor